NDSU football scheduling woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU football scheduling woes

Terry Vandrovec's Twitter page referred to the Bison Media Blog and a story about the difficulty NDSU is having getting an 11th football game. Sounds like it's getting a little desparate.

Read for yourself at the Bison Media Blog linked HERE

I don't fault the Bison schedulers for taking a gamble to get a game they wanted. But, there's a downside risk as they're discovering.

Re: NDSU football scheduling woes

SDSU didn't get their ideal game for their last game either. I'd rather of had a 2 for 1 against USD than a 1 for 1 against UND. Trying to get a September game hurt SDSU, too.

Comment

It's looking like our 11th game will be at home versus Morgan State on Sept 18th(a MEAC school in Baltimore). Reports are that the contract has been sent to them and it's hoped it will be signed by Friday. Of course, we thought the same thing about Drake(ultimately decided to go to Montana State) and Georgetown(Patriot League jiggled their schedule and changed the mutually open date). It's probably going to cost us $100,000-$150,000, but it will be our home opener, so it should have a good turnout and make a decent profit

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
        It's looking like our 11th game will be at home versus Morgan State on Sept 18th(a MEAC school in Baltimore). Reports are that the contract has been sent to them and it's hoped it will be signed by Friday. Of course, we thought the same thing about Drake(ultimately decided to go to Montana State) and Georgetown(Patriot League jiggled their schedule and changed the mutually open date). It's probably going to cost us $100,000-$150,000, but it will be our home opener, so it should have a good turnout and make a decent profit
        I'll mention it here, because I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on a popular topic over at B-ville....

I just don't get the idea that NDSU is ready for FBS. Look how hard it was to fill out this year's FCS schedule!

As I expect both SDSU & NDSU will grow faster than the institutional aggregate over the next several years, I expect both will eventually be ready for FBS.

But we're not talking anything near-term, as this year's scheduling difficulties for -both- schools illustrate.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          I'll mention it here, because I don't want to throw a bucket of cold water on a popular topic over at B-ville....

I just don't get the idea that NDSU is ready for FBS. Look how hard it was to fill out this year's FCS schedule!

As I expect both SDSU & NDSU will grow faster than the institutional aggregate over the next several years, I expect both will eventually be ready for FBS.

But we're not talking anything near-term, as this year's scheduling difficulties for -both- schools illustrate.
          Granted I don't think either school is ready for FBS, but don't understand the correlation between scheduling an 11th game and ones readiness for FBS.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Granted I don't think either school is ready for FBS, but don't understand the correlation between scheduling an 11th game and ones readiness for FBS.
            FBS teams have to pay higher guarantees to FCS teams. I have no doubt that one of the sticking points in the NDSU discussions was the size of the guarantee.

If NDSU is balking over a $150k guarantee, what happens at the FBS level where they'll be expected to pay well over $200k for an FCS game?

Ultimately, FBS is more expensive than FCS, and based on the extended negotiations, I'd say that NDSU is having to stretch their football operating budget pretty far these days.

Comment

FBS teams have to pay higher guarantees to FCS teams. I have no doubt that one of the sticking points in the NDSU discussions was the size of the guarantee.

If NDSU is balking over a $150k guarantee, what happens at the FBS level where they'll be expected to pay well over $200k for an FCS game?

Ultimately, FBS is more expensive than FCS, and based on the extended negotiations, I'd say that NDSU is having to stretch their football operating budget pretty far these days.
              The 100-150K is not the issue at a low $15 per seat x 16000 people this game will bring in $240k. and considering 10000 of those seats at least are actually $20+ a tickets thats even a better number. Our Football budget is JUST fine compared to what you would like to think.

Hell we already have 7578 tickets sold for all the home games thats $152k. per game in the bank minus Teamakers dues
              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                The 100-150K is not the issue
                If money wasn't an issue, what was?

Money is -always- an issue.

Comment

If money wasn't an issue, what was?

Money is -always- an issue.
                  Finding a opponent willing to Travel,

Yes money is a issue, and most AD's try to give their fans as many home games as possible, much like Gene has done offering a 100-150K guarantee. i'm sure Morgan St would have LOVED to have us there for a home game but they probably can't afford it like we can.
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                  X