Barbeque and grilling recipes and techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbeque and grilling recipes and techniques

It's about time to get busy with some serious outdoor cooking. Is anybody interested in sharing some of their favorite recipes and techniques?

I'll start simple. I made some wings earlier this week that were quite tasty. I sprinkled on some Weber's Kickin Chickin seasoning and marinated them in some pretty basic bottled barbeque sauce for several hours. Then I smoked them over mesquite for about three and one-half hours at 225 degrees farenheit. I said it was pretty simple, and they turned out really good!
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: Barbeque and grilling recipes and techniques

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    It's about time to get busy with some serious outdoor cooking. Is anybody interested in sharing some of their favorite recipes and techniques?

I'll start simple. I made some wings earlier this week that were quite tasty. I sprinkled on some Weber's Kickin Chickin seasoning and marinated them in some pretty basic bottled barbeque sauce for several hours. Then I smoked them over mesquite for about three and one-half hours at 225 degrees farenheit. I said it was pretty simple, and they turned out really good!
    I love to barbeque. I just got into it in the last year or so. I have tinkered quite a bit and have come up with a couple good recipes for my own rubs and sauce, one rub for pork and the other for beef. I will share later, but for now, I need to get back to studying.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I'll just toss out this "tip". Only flip the meat once. It drives me nuts when we go to someones house for a cook out and someone is standing at the grill constantly turning burgers over and over, and then flattening them to push all of the juices out. Makes for great hockey pucks, but not burgers.

We like to keep it simple on the grill. A summer favorite is marinating chicken breasts in zesty Italian dressing and tossing on the grill. I'll add some potatoes and onions (both sliced thin) wrapped in tinfoil on the side.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

It is the flattening/smashing them dries them out, number of flips doesn't affect and I've seen some "studies" that ended up with juicier burgers flipped more frequently. Get both sides seared quickly and then keep cooking evenly.

As for recipies, we like soaking tuna or salmon steaks in teriyaki marinade for about 2-3 hours and then grilling them. Also loved grilled vegetables. My sister-in-law made some great grilled peaches for us once, but mine have always flamed out, so to say.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

i like doing all my veggies on the grill. i have the foil pans, spray with pan. mix your veggies in a bowl and toss with olive oil and put in pan, cover with foil. stir occassionally. i like doing green beans, asparagus, mushrooms,carrots, potatoes, brussel spouts(my favorite) do a combo of 3 or 4 veggies . i like my veggies more than the main meat. for a meat, i like country style ribs, with the bone in. i brush with liquid smoke and season. i put them on a broiler pan cover with foil and put water in the bottom. put in the oven on 250 for 4 hrs. then put them on the grill with bbq sauce. they fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            I'll just toss out this "tip". Only flip the meat once. It drives me nuts when we go to someones house for a cook out and someone is standing at the grill constantly turning burgers over and over, and then flattening them to push all of the juices out. Makes for great hockey pucks, but not burgers.
            About 3-4 years ago the meat sciences department at SDSU actually did a taste study on the best way to grill steaks. some of you may remember the advertisements for free steak on Tuesday noons (2 seatings each day), first-come-first served, limited seating. IIRC the study showed that the best tasting steaks on a Charcoal grill were flipped only once. A follow up study the next year showed that when using a gas grill, people actually preferred the taste of the steaks that were flipped over several times duing the cooking process.

The only problem I had with the study is that all the taste-tests were done with meat cooked medium well to well done. since I prefer mine medium rare i use a different technique. Start the grill on high, when you place the steaks on reduce the heat to low. After 6 minutes flip them. after another 3 minutes, I add a dab of whipped butter that has sliced garlic in it. Wait 4 more minutes & then take them off. The High initial heat helps to sear the meat to keep the juices in & the low heat while cooking keeps away the flare-ups.

Another favorite trick is to marinade sirloins or T-bones in sour-mash bourbon, then rub them with Cavender's & brown suger before you put them on the grill. - Awesome.

Comment

When I do pork loin or Boston Butt (my favorite cut), I coat liberally with Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning... cook it low and slow in the oven... about 40 minutes a pound at 300-degrees... some Wal-Mart Hickory BBQ Sauce and I'm a happy camper!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

And now for a little History Channel thread drift:

There is a short commercial before the main feature.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...-made/5d9x4eic

This should ensure that you stick to those T-bones and Boston butts!
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I pride myself on my pork loin. I use charcoal to grill. I am a huge fan of "Good Eats" on the food network and Alton (the host) recommends turning pork loin a quarter turn every 2.5 minutes for 15 minutes. When that time is up place it in a tin foil pouch for ten minutes with the sauce of choice.

Comes out tender and juicy. I have never had any complaints.

I usually make create enough heat to do potatoes as well. A bunch of spuds sliced with a quarter onion a stick of butter divided evenly on the top and salt and pepper. I usually let 'em cook only flipping the pile once. I like the crunchy ones that come of the bottom and the rest of the fam likes the soft ones on top.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    I pride myself on my pork loin. I use charcoal to grill. I am a huge fan of "Good Eats" on the food network and Alton (the host) recommends turning pork loin a quarter turn every 2.5 minutes for 15 minutes. When that time is up place it in a tin foil pouch for ten minutes with the sauce of choice.
                    Not to be critical, but are you sure on the times? 25 minutes doesn't seem to be long enough to grill a pork loin.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                      Not to be critical, but are you sure on the times? 25 minutes doesn't seem to be long enough to grill a pork loin.
                      No worries Hobo. I didn't think it was enough time either. The key is to keep it covered unless turning and it continues to cook in the foil bag.

Keep in mind these are little prepackaged in their own marinade pork loins.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

It is in the fifth paragraph down in Directions.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        No worries Hobo. I didn't think it was enough time either. The key is to keep it covered unless turning and it continues to cook in the foil bag.

Keep in mind these are little prepackaged in their own marinade pork loins.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

It is in the fifth paragraph down in Directions.
                        That makes sense, we are talking about two different cuts of meat. I often hear them interchanged. For those who want to know the difference, read on:

The loin is the backstrap that runs from the base of the neck to the tail on either side of the spinal column (each hog has two loins). These range from 7-11 lbs typically, depending on the size of the hog & how much of the back fat has been trimmed off. It is typically pretty dense meat & is where butterfly chops comes from. It also takes smoke very well. More on this at another time. (If TV can throw out a teaser every now & then so can I.)

The tender-loin on the other hand actually comes from inside the body cavity & is attached from 2/3 of the way back on the spinal column to the inside of the rear legs. Again each hog has two & they are usually about one pound each. The meat works very well with marinades, because it has an elongated muscle structure that runs the length of the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                          That makes sense, we are talking about two different cuts of meat. I often hear them interchanged. For those who want to know the difference, read on:

The loin is the backstrap that runs from the base of the neck to the tail on either side of the spinal column (each hog has two loins). These range from 7-11 lbs typically, depending on the size of the hog & how much of the back fat has been trimmed off. It is typically pretty dense meat & is where butterfly chops comes from. It also takes smoke very well. More on this at another time. (If TV can throw out a teaser every now & then so can I.)

The tender-loin on the other hand actually comes from inside the body cavity & is attached from 2/3 of the way back on the spinal column to the inside of the rear legs. Again each hog has two & they are usually about one pound each. The meat works very well with marinades, because it has an elongated muscle structure that runs the length of the cut.
                          Know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know....know your cuts of MEAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGN6How15c

As for grilling tips, I season all the meat I cook with Montreal Steak Seasoning, burgers, steak, you name it......so good.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know know....know your cuts of MEAT!
                            Me know meat.

Meat good.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                            X