Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we put the USD to MVFC issue to bed now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we put the USD to MVFC issue to bed now?

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...14/1002/sports

Quote: “I don’t doubt there’s been some conversation at the coaches’ level,” Valley commissioner Patty Viverito said. “But that’s not where decisions get made – they get made by the presidents. There have been zero conversations about expansion at the presidential level. That I can say unequivocally.”

Re: Can we put the USD to MVFC issue to bed now?

Yes, for now.
    University of South Dakota:
    Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
      Yes, for now.
      I agree. I think down the line USD/UND getting into the conference will probably eventually happen. But how long will it be? It may be 5 years and it may be 20 years. Who knows?

The 9 team conference is great. It's going to take some movement among the current members to get teams moving. Like the article said, the Big Ten shake up might help.

You can probably agree that Meierkort (sp?) has probably talked to a few of the coaches in the MVC, but the way he comes across is what gets him in trouble. He's very blunt and tends to "call out" SDSU quite a bit. I don't like him at all. You just don't see coaches doing this as much as this guy. We've never heard a word from Bohl or Lennon, etc about anything bad about SDSU. (At least not to my knowledge) The fact is that USD needs SDSU way more than SDSU needs USD. And I think Ed knows this. He's good for USD in some ways because he makes people turn their heads by what he says, but he also comes off as unlikeable unless you're from USD.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Let's be honest here.

Ed talked to Coach Bohl at NDSU and, through his amazing people skills and intelligence, got Bohl to divulge that NDSU is the team the Big 10 is thinking about for expansion. With NDSU in the Big 10, USD would be the perfect replacement.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Clear statements by the Commissioner. No discussion has taken place among the decision makers.

People like to speculate but no actual facts exist to support USD's dream. My opinion is unchanged: I think SDSU will eventually play USD in football as schedules permit and both schools want to play. I prefer, however, we remain in different football conferences.

Forever.

USD fans reading this post: There's just something you don't get about the relationship between the two fan bases. You may gain some insight if you pick up a copy of VJ Smith's book, Jackrabbit Tales, turn to page 27 first and read the essay "Howlers". I can tell you from personal experience, having spent four years at SDSU and three years at USD, that my USD friends do not understand the point VJ makes in "Howlers". I am convinced they never will.
          Last edited by JackJD; 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Clear statements by the Commissioner. No discussion has taken place among the decision makers.

People like to speculate but no actual facts exist to support USD's dream. My opinion is unchanged: I think SDSU will eventually play USD in football as schedules permit and both schools want to play. I prefer, however, we remain in different football conferences.

Forever.

USD fans reading this post: There's just something you don't get about the relationship between the two fan bases. You may gain some insight if you pick up a copy of VJ Smith's book, Jackrabbit Tales, turn to page 27 first and read the essay "Howlers". I can tell you from personal experience, having spent four years at SDSU and three years at USD, that my USD friends do not understand the point VJ makes in "Howlers". I am convinced they never will.
            Amen.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Forever.

I went up to my room and re-read that. Completely agree.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The book triggered my curiosity, but I have a significant back log of reads. I couldn't help but Google "Jackrabbit Tales" to gather a little more information. The description sounds fine until I get about a dozen paragraphs down.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index_alumni.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=1343&cid=166 4&ecid=1664&ciid=3223&crid=0

Not exactly reaching for my Visa card, and really not sure what the chapter is all about. Perhaps I'll never know. This may or may not relate to the “howler” reference JackJD makes above, but I guess I'll never understand why people get so bent out of shape when a few SDSU/USD stereotypes are thrown around in jest. It's a two-way street. Farmers vs. Frat Boys. Who cares? I feel sorry for anyone ignorant enough to actually think both universities dont make great contributions to this state, nation and world. I obviously haven't read the book, but I already resent the proposition (and maybe JackJD is putting words into the author's mouth) that each fan base can neatly be contained under a specific mode of thinking.
                Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

The book triggered my curiosity, but I have a significant back log of reads. I couldn't help but Google "Jackrabbit Tales" to gather a little more information. The description sounds fine until I get about a dozen paragraphs down.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index_alumni.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=1343&cid=166 4&ecid=1664&ciid=3223&crid=0

Not exactly reaching for my Visa card, and really not sure what the chapter is all about. Perhaps I'll never know. This may or may not relate to the “howler” reference JackJD makes above, but I guess I'll never understand why people get so bent out of shape when a few SDSU/USD stereotypes are thrown around in jest. It's a two-way street. Farmers vs. Frat Boys. Who cares? I feel sorry for anyone ignorant enough to actually think both universities dont make great contributions to this state, nation and world. I obviously haven't read the book, but I already resent the proposition (and maybe JackJD is putting words into the author's mouth) that each fan base can neatly be contained under a specific mode of thinking.
                  Is it weird that I feel like I have a fishing hook stuck in my lip?

Comment

Forever.

Well I guess I am going to go buy a copy of Jackrabbit Tales. I too am curious about howlers.

Comment

Is it weird that I feel like I have a fishing hook stuck in my lip?
                      yotemeal: You prove my point, particularly with your farmers v frat boys comment. Your columns in the Volante from your student days, well-written and often some of the best college-humor writing in these parts (you know I'm sincere in saying that because I complimented you at the time), often proved the point.

So, no MVFC for USD. Good. We'll play soon enough. I hope either the Great West becomes more stable or USD finds it way into a different group.
                      Last edited by JackJD; 04-30-2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

You prove my point, particularly with your farmers v frat boys comment. Your columns in the Volante from your student days, yotemeal, well-written and often some of the best college-humor writing in these parts, often proved the point.
                        I guess I'll have to read the darn book. This must be something broader than my feeble mind has detected – complete institutional arrogance? I have very good friends who are very loyal SDSU supporters, and we're not afraid to engage in some friendly sparring. If one of my SDSU buddies calls me an ex-frat boy, pansy, liberal arts, greasy used car salesman, two-bit, blood-sucking ambulance chasing lawyer, a jest of which I’ve heard countless variations over happy hour, I’ll sarcastically ask that he refrain from stabbing me with his pitchfork, we cheers our beers, and then we go on talking about our mutual distaste for Nick Punto. Seriously. In this fantasy land of college sports fandom, the potshots, notwithstanding the tasteless antics of some students, are stupid and toothless. They don’t play in real life, at least not in my life. I don’t care to take the time to count how many times on this board USD is referenced as the needy little sibling or something to that effect. I think one could make an argument for arrogance there (in fact, I believe I have), but that’s just a bunch of message board bull****. We should be pooling our resources to confront real problems, like Nick Punto.

Comment

I guess I'll have to read the darn book. This must be something broader than my feeble mind has detected – complete institutional arrogance? I have very good friends who are very loyal SDSU supporters, and we're not afraid to engage in some friendly sparring. If one of my SDSU buddies calls me an ex-frat boy, pansy, liberal arts, greasy used car salesman, two-bit, blood-sucking ambulance chasing lawyer, a jest of which I’ve heard countless variations over happy hour, I’ll sarcastically ask that he refrain from stabbing me with his pitchfork, we cheers our beers, and then we go on talking about our mutual distaste for Nick Punto. Seriously. In this fantasy land of college sports fandom, the potshots, notwithstanding the tasteless antics of some students, are stupid and toothless. They don’t play in real life, at least not in my life. I don’t care to take the time to count how many times on this board USD is referenced as the needy little sibling or something to that effect. I think one could make an argument for arrogance there (in fact, I believe I have), but that’s just a bunch of message board bull****. We should be pooling our resources to confront real problems, like Nick Punto.
                          As painful as this is for me to say, I have to agree with ya here. It seems that both schools have factions of fans that have a hatred of each school that will never go away. IMO, the best part of any rivalry is the ability to prod the other fanbase and once the game is done be able to enjoy a beer or BBQ with those same fans.

Many alumni from both schools love to live in the past and try to parlay that into the current atmosphere of state of athletics in South Dakota. This is not our father's, or even older brother's for that matter, USD or SDSU. To live in the past and dwell on past transgressions provides absolutly nothing positive in the way of advancing our schools.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Hatred for USD? It's not that at all - at least it isn't for me. I value my USD degree and had a great time in Vermillion.

Talk about USD's imminent invite to the MVFC was just that: talk (recently stirred by Coach Mierkort's wishful thinking expressed as fact). I piped up to note that I like the conference separation. My reason for liking the separation has something to do with the message written by VJ Smith in Jackrabbit Tales. I have enjoyed the calm and quiet of the few years the schools have been separated on the playing fields and courts of the revenue sports. I'm not very interested in playing USD in football (and was not very interested in playing USD in the other revenue sports). I know it is happening and will happen. But, I'm not real interested in it.

Oh, and because smack should be a little funny: imagine a chimp helping me post the above.
                            Last edited by JackJD; 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Hatred for USD? It's not that at all - at least it isn't for me. I value my USD degree and had a great time in Vermillion.

Talk about USD's imminent invite to the MVFC was just that: talk (recently stirred by Coach Mierkort's wishful thinking expressed as fact). I piped up to note that I like the conference separation. My reason for liking the separation has something to do with the message written by VJ Smith in Jackrabbit Tales. I have enjoyed the calm and quiet of the few years the schools have been separated on the playing fields and courts of the revenue sports. I'm not very interested in playing USD in football (and was not very interested in playing USD in the other revenue sports). I know it is happening and will happen. But, I'm not real interested in it.

Oh, and because smack shoiuld be a little funny: imagine a chimp helping me post the above.
                              I wasn't directing that comment at you specifically, and I am sorry that it may have came across as being pointed at you. It was more meant to the folks that are 100% against playing USD for something that happened years ago. I would venture to guess that many of the people that had any involvement in any type of abhorrent behavior have been cycled out of both schools. Most of our current players werent even in high school when the rivalry was at it's most embarrassing.

There is a part of me that hopes USD isn't in our conference and that both schools become powers in their respective conferences and then meet-up in the playoffs.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X