Spring Game thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Game thoughts

What did I think of the of the Jacks spring game performance? Glad you asked!

Kemo's stand out players:

Skylar Luxa: The kid was all over the place and laying the wood on anyone who even thought about touching the ball. Most impressive player in the entire game imo.

Mike Lien: Was around the ball all day and really finished off tackles.

Zach Bowers: Wore #54, and lived up to that billing as well. A couple of times he flat out embarrassed the lineman assigned to blocking him, and the stats showed it with 2 sacks on the game.

Honorable mention: Andy Mink, Kyle VanVoorst, Eric Koehlmoos, Tyrel Kool

Unit of the game

Defensive Line: Just manhandled the offensive line, but that was less because our O-line wasn't good and more because our D-Line is really good and the O-Line is inexperienced.

Most Disappointing

Thomas O'Brien: I thought he might struggle a bit with the inexperience receiving core and a new passing game coordinator, but what disappointed me was his accuracy today. I thought he made some decent reads but just missed on too many passes, and even his TD pass to Kool was under thrown. The wind was definitely affecting some of those throws, but weather conditions are going to be there when you are quarterbacking in Brookings, SD. I'm not really worried about O'Brien because I thought his mental progression as a quarterback was noticeable, but the lack of accuracy was kind of startling. I'm positive he'll get it straightened out before the start of the season.
    * TOB was not the most disappointing because he played bad, but rather he did not perform as well as I expected him to... and I have a pretty high bar for O'Brien because I think he has the potential to be something special at SDSU.

Overview

The Jacks' D is just an amazing unit and I actually anticipate them to be better this year than last (even with the loss of Batten, Rogers, Johnson, and Jackson). I honestly can only recall one broken tackle the entire game and they gave the offensive unit so few windows of opportunity it was almost dumbfounding.

The offense really should not cause too much concern with their poor performance, as this usually is the case in spring games, and the offense didn't look as bad as the defense looked good.
    Last edited by Kemo; 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: Spring Game thoughts

I asked one of the players if the offense was that bad or the defense was that good and he said the offense will struggle due to low numbers and inexperience on the line and losing Knips and Bender (shocker, I know). I am hoping they will work hard this summer and mature before next fall.

The defense will be tough, but raw after the after the first team. Hopefully Parnell will be back to form next fall. I was told to watch #52 DT Mink. He is going to be a stud according to person I was talking to.

I was dissappointed by the showing of the offense, but the defense has had a little more time together (as in more players back with experience) and it will take time for the o-line to come together as a unit.

Overall, I am not worried about the team as I think they will get a lot done over the summer and in fall camp and be ready to play.

The Dykhouse is a nice facility, but I envisioned it being bigger. They lift at stations now as opposed to being spread out all over the place like they were at the HPER. At one station they can do bench, incline, squat, and cleans. They can do the secondary lifts there as well such as traps and lats.

For obvious reasons they wouldn't let us in the locker room. I was told I had to come up during the week sometime and I could get a tour.

Overall, it was a good day. I wouldn't mind seeing them ask for a freewill donation or $5 to get in the gate for the spring game. It might pay for something that is needed in the Dykhouse.

Comment

A couple of thoughts regarding the spring game.

Yes the Jack Rabbit defense is exceptional. The defenses hitting was vicious, sometimes too hard for a spring game. Early in the game they laid a serious hit on Minnet. Pads were popping. It was outstanding. That being said...

The receivers were not open. It is easy to blame the QB but there were no windows to throw to. The receivers also dropped a lot of passes. One long TD pass was dropped. Notice the play they went to Cochart resulted in nice, positive yardage. It will take time to develop the timing between the WR's and QB.

The O-Line is dinged up - so much that they could not field a complete two deep line up. The forum is worried about the O-Line every year - check last year's posts. The coaches will get it done. This too will take time to correct.

The running backs are as responsible on some plays for pass blocking as the O-line. Minnet was fine. The other backs need time to refine the pass blocking scheme.

The no huddle scheme also will take time to install. It is a good idea and gives the Jacks another weapon.

It also appeared that the defense knew what plays were coming. A lot of times the receivers were tripled covered. Also on running plays the holes were initially there, but were covered up quickly. Does practicing against the same Offensive plays day after day give the Defense a built in advantage? Anyone who has played any level of football knows the answer to that question. The defense is outstanding, quick and hard hitting, but a defense this outstanding, knowing the offensive keys, gave no chance to a young offense.

Lastly, Contrary to what the Nebraska writer stated - There were more than 250 people at the game. Come on.

Comment

Haven't been to a Spring Scrimmage in 7 years, but my recollection is the defense usually is the better looking of the two squads on the field. I never put much into how the team looks in these spring scrimmages. Most of the "good stuff" takes place in the practices where the coaches see how guys developed over the course of the winter.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

How many starters do you guys have coming back from both sides?

Comment

According the to the depth chart posted from the last game last year, we will have back the following

O

QB - So O'Brien
            RB - SR Minett
            FB/TE - SR Beyer
            TE - SR Cochart
            C - SR McKnight
            RT - SO Fick

6/11

D

DE - JR Steffen
            DT - SR Basham
            LB - SR Domino
            CB - JR Matthews/ SR Parnell
            CB - SR Brodie
            SS - SR Kjrestad
            FS - JR Wise

7/11

13/22 Starters back

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              A couple of thoughts regarding the spring game.

Yes the Jack Rabbit defense is exceptional. The defenses hitting was vicious, sometimes too hard for a spring game. Early in the game they laid a serious hit on Minnet. Pads were popping. It was outstanding. That being said...

The receivers were not open. It is easy to blame the QB but there were no windows to throw to. The receivers also dropped a lot of passes. One long TD pass was dropped. Notice the play they went to Cochart resulted in nice, positive yardage. It will take time to develop the timing between the WR's and QB.

The O-Line is dinged up - so much that they could not field a complete two deep line up. The forum is worried about the O-Line every year - check last year's posts. The coaches will get it done. This too will take time to correct.

The running backs are as responsible on some plays for pass blocking as the O-line. Minnet was fine. The other backs need time to refine the pass blocking scheme.

The no huddle scheme also will take time to install. It is a good idea and gives the Jacks another weapon.

It also appeared that the defense knew what plays were coming. A lot of times the receivers were tripled covered. Also on running plays the holes were initially there, but were covered up quickly. Does practicing against the same Offensive plays day after day give the Defense a built in advantage? Anyone who has played any level of football knows the answer to that question. The defense is outstanding, quick and hard hitting, but a defense this outstanding, knowing the offensive keys, gave no chance to a young offense.

Lastly, Contrary to what the Nebraska writer stated - There were more than 250 people at the game. Come on.
              Welcome to posting Shot! How many would you estimate were there?
              Last edited by rabidrabbit; 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

The transfer from Hofstra would be a big help, me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  The transfer from Hofstra would be a big help, me thinks.
                  That's a very good point. Hopefully he can step in and make an impact right away.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    That's a very good point. Hopefully he can step in and make an impact right away.
                    He started for 2 years for Hofstra so he would bring in some much needed experience and add to the depth. The question now is, will he transfer to SDSU for his senior season.

Comment

Remember that the Jacks offensive line scheme is complicated, it takes time to learn. A Sr. transfer, who has played at this level, definitely has an advantage over a juco transfer. Remember, there is a reason why players are jucos. A transfer will help, but will need time to learn the scheme and terminology. The problem is, the transfer is not Knips. Left tackle is key to any O-line.

How similar is the Jack's scheme to Hofstra's? Hopefully similiar. It probably is part of his transfer decision. The Jacks' O-line was remarkably healthy last year. You never know with injuries and the more big guys you have, the better.

As to attendance, I'm not good at estimating crowds, but Dykhouse tours sure were full. Just with the players' families and friends - you had over 250 watching. There were some students there early too. Terry V. would be the one to ask for a better attendance estimate.

Comment

How similar is Hofstra's offense to the Jacks'? This probably is a big factor in his decision.

Replacing Knips will be the Jacks challenge, especially replacing a guy who has a NFL tryout. Left tackle is the key O-line position.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                          How similar is Hofstra's offense to the Jacks'? This probably is a big factor in his decision.

Replacing Knips will be the Jacks challenge, especially replacing a guy who has a NFL tryout. Left tackle is the key O-line position.
                          I believe the Hofstra players still have their scholarships so basically the question is "how much do love playing football?"

It's alot to just pick up and move. Leaving everything you know and your friends to move to South Dakota to play one year of football. But at least he would get to experience what being on a winning team is like and he will even have a decent shot at going to the playoffs.

As far as LT, does anyone know who was lining up there during the spring game?

I would guess the options at LT are:

Moving So. Fick from starting RT to LT 6'4" 310
                          JUCO Jr. Dominquez 6'4" 280
                          So. Tyler Luethje 6'3" 290 (#2 on last year's depth chart)
                          RFr. Bryan Witzmann 6'7" 300

Comment

I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by JRabFan33 View Post
                              I love how Jackrabbit nation is putting their hopes on one o line transfer. My question is, Where is the recruiting? It seems like Coach Meadows (the o line coach) has had his head up his butt every recruiting year for the past 4 years. Lets face it, the Jacks right now have two decent D1 linemen in McKnight and Fick, everyone else is terrible. I was at the game Saturday and the o line play was absolutely PATHETIC! I feel bad for the rest of Jackrabbitt skill players, the offense would have been better if TOB took a knee every down. Every time we ran the ball Minnett or whoever else got stopped in the backfield for a minus 3 yard loss, and every time we threw the ball TOB had 3 guys right in his face. Coach Meadows has already shown his incompetence as the OC and O line coach, why is he still on the staff? He cannot recruit, he cannot coordinate. In my opinion Coach Stig should fire him just like he fired coach Sarvis a few years ago. Thoughts?
                              Oh boy!! This might get interesting. . .

With the loses the o-line saw this year with Knips and Bender graduating and getting picked up by NFL teams, it seems that Meadows may in fact be getting good recruits. The o-line this year is young and will time to gel. Let's face it, o-lines have to work together as a unit much more than d-lines. It seems every year we have this argument on this board. How are we going to replace this guy, how are we going to replace that guy, yet outstanding lineman keep getting churned out of this school much like pharmacists, engineers, and cowboys.

Comment

Working...
                              X