PDA

View Full Version : Meierkort

JimmyJack
04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Ed just said on the Sports Web that most of the MVFC wants to add teams and split into two divisions. He mentioned Dale Lennon, UNI, Ill St. as urging that move.

Well... I have never heard that before. Is Ed making stuff up, or is it a real possibility that the MVFC will add teams and create two divisions?

Ed made it sound like it's just a matter of time. Thoughts?

CatchEmAll
04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Two words to the USD camp - Pipe Dream.

In case you're wondering, someone did piss in my Cheerios this morning.

Kemo
04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Ed just said on the Sports Web that most of the MVFC wants to add teams and split into two divisions. He mentioned Dale Lennon, UNI, Ill St. as urging that move.

Well... I have never heard that before. Is Ed making stuff up, or is it a real possibility that the MVFC will add teams and create two divisions?

Ed made it sound like it's just a matter of time. Thoughts?
Interesting if this is the case, but I'm not sure what the approval rules for expansion in the MVFC; As in, how many schools need to approve the expansion and who does the approving (presidents or AD's). The reason this is important is, just because a few coaches or universities want this to happen, doesn't mean they all do, and this could be a road block for those trying to get into the conference.

Kemo
04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
In case you're wondering, someone did piss in my Cheerios this morning.
You shouldn't leave your cereal unattended to, as I know I have never walk by a bowl of Cheerios and not felt the need to relieve myself...

jackmd
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
What Ed says and the truth are often very different things.

As for the MVFC expanding, the commish is against it but there may be some in favor.

zooropa
04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
What Ed says and the truth are often very different things.

As for the MVFC expanding, the commish is against it but there may be some in favor.
You got 9 schools in the conference. That's 9 coaches. Pretty sure they all have their own opinions about things.

I'm sure some (Farley @ UNI would be the leader in that category, IMO) would prefer to water down the conference, as it is a danged grueling slog. But there aren't 3 schools worth adding to the conference, IMO.

KUlawJack
04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Just for the heck of it, I took this idea and tried to put it into actual divisions, including both udot and the sue. Still need a 12th team to go in the East. Also, the west division would be ridiculously loaded. This assumes 5 games against your division plus 3 games from the other on a rotating basis, ala the Big 12. Here's what I got:

West - SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Missouri State, udot, sue

East - SIU, Illinois State, Indiana State, Western Illinois, YSU, ?

That gives you balanced scheduling and balanced divisions.

I will go on record as not wanting them in the conference at this point. Maybe a decade or so down the road, but I like it the way it is currently. Plus what's the point of such a large conference if you don't have a conference championship to get Dr. Pepper to sponsor it, which would require them to let me throw footballs into a large Dr. Pepper can at half time to win $100,000?

mitchell
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I believe Meierkort quoted Lennon as saying that creating the two leagues would help get more MVC teams into the playoffs and turn the league into a bus league.

The 3 teams that would be added would be USD & UND but who would the third team be?

I guess everything will shake up when the Big 10 expands and we'll see how things shake up.

I would put the probability of USD & UND joining the MVC in the next 5 years at 75% or higher.

1stRowFANatic
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure I would put it that high, but I think it is more likely than not. The problem I think will be keeping all the existing teams. Big 10 expansion is going to key all the changes, IMO, because when that shake up happens somebody somewhere is going to see an opportunity to go FBS.

BitsTD
04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
I guess everything will shake up when the Big 10 expands and we'll see how things shake up.

This is a done deal as soon as NDSU signs the invitation papers.

(I know better, but I just couldn't resist. Self imposed probation for smacking in non-smack section. I am actually surprised someone else didn't jump on it first.)

joeboo22
04-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I don't get this at all.... the league pretty much is a bus league already isn't it? and like already said going into 2 divisions is stupid unless you have a conference championship

mango4
04-22-2010, 02:07 AM
This is nitpicky but one thing that surprised me while watching this video is he couldn't even say the name of one of his players right. There's an H in Chicos, Meierkort.

JimmyJack
04-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Ed has some Wacker/Brewster tendencies. It's hard to know what's true and what's just a bunch of bluster.

I think Mike and Stu handle him pretty well. It was an interesting episode of Sports Web.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing USD in the MVFC. Good rivalry game. Short drive every other year. But I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

joeybrownerHOF
04-22-2010, 07:54 AM
This is nitpicky but one thing that surprised me while watching this video is he couldn't even say the name of one of his players right. There's an H in Chicos, Meierkort.

Not to be nitpicky but his name is Cichos and (i think) was pronounced correctly by Ed.

edited: since i didn't pay too close attention to the webcast.

jackmd
04-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Adding USD or UND or both to the MVFC could be a good thing, I must admit I haven't thought too hard about it and can't list the negatives or positives for us. That said, I'd prefer to hear USD admin approaching that possibility as a huge favor to them as opposed to the stance some are currently taking. The MVFC is great the way it is now, USD will be lucky if they get an invite. To suggest that all of the sudden their presence in DI FCS will lead to a shake-up of one the best leagues is presumptuous at best.

Nidaros
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Ed has some Wacker/Brewster tendencies. It's hard to know what's true and what's just a bunch of bluster.

I think Mike and Stu handle him pretty well. It was an interesting episode of Sports Web.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing USD in the MVFC. Good rivalry game. Short drive every other year. But I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

I thought it was an interesting show. Hard to make any thing of the MVFC comments, but I suspect, Dale Lennon probably would breathe a little easier with an weaker east division, but who knows. I would file it under beer talk.

Just curious why Stu has yet to have John Stieglemeier on his show.

joeybrownerHOF
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Not to be nitpicky but his name is Cichos and (i think) was pronounced correctly by Ed.

edited: since i didn't pay too close attention to the webcast.

I am wrong and admit the same. Name is Cichos but pronounced CHICKUS. Ed got it wrong. My bad and will now go in the corner

RabbitObsessed
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
That said, I'd prefer to hear USD admin approaching that possibility as a huge favor to them

Shocking.

thumper_76
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Shocking.

To think of it as anything other than a big favor for USD or UND to get into the MVFC is plain arrogance. Hell it was a big favor for us and NDSU to get in, and I would say that NDSU and SDSU had a better pedigree from transition. Just because a bunch of old time "old NCC" lovers want to bring back the old rivalries to be played every year, doesn't mean that anyone else in the conference (or even here) give a hoot about it.

Personally I am very against a two division MVFC. There is no real purpose to it other than watering down the league. And with playoffs in there, there is not any real time for a championship game, which would make the MVFC into the western CAA. Lots of teams, and chest thumping, about getting in a bunch of teams into the playoffs when you have a buttload of teams in the conference, with no true decided champion because not everyone plays everyone. The only conferences that have a championship game of some sort don't send their top two teams into the playoffs. And I doubt that the NCAA will back the playoffs up so that UND and USD can join and the MVFC can have a championship game.

JackJD
04-22-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm with Thumper on this one. I think it's okay to schedule USD in football when it works for us (and them) but I don't want to see the Valley expand. It would be a nice rivalry game if USD was in a different conference.

NorCalJack
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
I watched about 2 minutes of the Argus Leader video yesterday and Meierkort started off stating that it will be a more difficult game against U of M than what SDSU had to face. They said that SDSU faced U of M at the end of the year and that they did not have to face the U of M's best player. USD has to open against U of M and they will have their full compliment of players.

It just sounded like Meirerkort was already making excuses for those that want to compare scores, in case the U of M rolls the 'Yotes.

The fact is NDSU has beaten the U and SDSU gave them a good run for their money, so USD better be competitive and not pull a UNI.

zooropa
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Just curious why Stu has yet to have John Stieglemeier on his show.
Because 40 minutes of Stig would be boring.

Not that Stig's a bad guy, but he plays his cards so close to the vest--especially with broadcast media.

RowdyRabbit
04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
[QUOTE=NorCalJack;152751]It just sounded like Meirerkort was already making excuses for those that want to compare scores, in case the U of M rolls the 'Yotes.[\QUOTE]

This, this, a hundred times this.

Nidaros
04-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Because 40 minutes of Stig would be boring.

Not that Stig's a bad guy, but he plays his cards so close to the vest--especially with broadcast media.

Thats what I thought might be the reason. Stu can't find a reason to tear the coach or the program down, not like George Perles of Michigan State.

zooropa
04-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Thats what I thought might be the reason. Stu can't find a reason to tear the coach or the program down, not like George Perles of Michigan State.

I don't think it's quite like that. But I do think that Stu has little patience for Stig.

Nidaros
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't think it's quite like that. But I do think that Stu has little patience for Stig.

Granted Perles was Stu big game to fame, and he has not let up since that time. I suspect he finds both Nagy and Stig kind of stiff and but he seems to like Ed very much though.

FargoBison
04-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Better not tell Meierkort that Minnesota's best player is about to get drafted and that Gophers are probably a five win team at best next year.

mitchell
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Better not tell Meierkort that Minnesota's best player is about to get drafted and that Gophers are probably a five win team at best next year.

Good point, the U. won't have to face the Gophers best player either since he will be in the NFL. The Gophers don't look like they will be as good as they were this year (and they weren't that good this year)

I agree with the previous post. He was defiantly trying to set up some built-in excuses for next year because it seemed that he was already thinking they were going to get stomped.

jackmd
04-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Good point, the U. won't have to face the Gophers best player either since he will be in the NFL. The Gophers don't look like they will be as good as they were this year (and they weren't that good this year)

I agree with the previous post. He was defiantly trying to set up some built-in excuses for next year because it seemed that he was already thinking they were going to get stomped.

I was an invited guest at a table with Ed and some other USD boosters earlier this year. A lot of things were discussed including USD's schedule this fall. Ed basically said USD is a sacrificial lamb for the 2 FBS games. USD needs the money and the quickest way to get it is to play games they can't win. He seemed resigned to the fact that they would not have a chance in either game. I didn't disagree.

89rabbit
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20100429/SPORTS/100429014/1002/sports

First Pitch: Missouri Valley not ready for Coyotes just yet

Terry Vandrovec (tvandrovec@argusleader.com) • Argus Leader Media • April 29, 2010

It’s no secret that the University of South Dakota aspires to join the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Coyotes coach Ed Meierkort said as much again last week during an Internet talk show. In fact, he went a step beyond and suggested that a vast majority of the current members are in favor of expanding.

But the league office doesn’t seem so certain about growing in the near future.

“I don’t doubt there’s been some conversation at the coaches’ level,” Valley commissioner Patty Viverito said. “But that’s not where decisions get made – they get made by the presidents. There have been zero conversations about expansion at the presidential level. That I can say unequivocally.” . . . (read more)

Go State! :)