Meierkort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meierkort

Ed just said on the Sports Web that most of the MVFC wants to add teams and split into two divisions. He mentioned Dale Lennon, UNI, Ill St. as urging that move.

Well... I have never heard that before. Is Ed making stuff up, or is it a real possibility that the MVFC will add teams and create two divisions?

Ed made it sound like it's just a matter of time. Thoughts?
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Meierkort

Two words to the USD camp - Pipe Dream.

In case you're wondering, someone did piss in my Cheerios this morning.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Ed just said on the Sports Web that most of the MVFC wants to add teams and split into two divisions. He mentioned Dale Lennon, UNI, Ill St. as urging that move.

Well... I have never heard that before. Is Ed making stuff up, or is it a real possibility that the MVFC will add teams and create two divisions?

Ed made it sound like it's just a matter of time. Thoughts?
      Interesting if this is the case, but I'm not sure what the approval rules for expansion in the MVFC; As in, how many schools need to approve the expansion and who does the approving (presidents or AD's). The reason this is important is, just because a few coaches or universities want this to happen, doesn't mean they all do, and this could be a road block for those trying to get into the conference.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        In case you're wondering, someone did piss in my Cheerios this morning.
        You shouldn't leave your cereal unattended to, as I know I have never walk by a bowl of Cheerios and not felt the need to relieve myself...
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

What Ed says and the truth are often very different things.

As for the MVFC expanding, the commish is against it but there may be some in favor.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            What Ed says and the truth are often very different things.

As for the MVFC expanding, the commish is against it but there may be some in favor.
            You got 9 schools in the conference. That's 9 coaches. Pretty sure they all have their own opinions about things.

I'm sure some (Farley @ UNI would be the leader in that category, IMO) would prefer to water down the conference, as it is a danged grueling slog. But there aren't 3 schools worth adding to the conference, IMO.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I took this idea and tried to put it into actual divisions, including both udot and the sue. Still need a 12th team to go in the East. Also, the west division would be ridiculously loaded. This assumes 5 games against your division plus 3 games from the other on a rotating basis, ala the Big 12. Here's what I got:

West - SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Missouri State, udot, sue

East - SIU, Illinois State, Indiana State, Western Illinois, YSU, ?

That gives you balanced scheduling and balanced divisions.

I will go on record as not wanting them in the conference at this point. Maybe a decade or so down the road, but I like it the way it is currently. Plus what's the point of such a large conference if you don't have a conference championship to get Dr. Pepper to sponsor it, which would require them to let me throw footballs into a large Dr. Pepper can at half time to win $100,000?
              Last edited by KUlawJack; 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I believe Meierkort quoted Lennon as saying that creating the two leagues would help get more MVC teams into the playoffs and turn the league into a bus league.

The 3 teams that would be added would be USD & UND but who would the third team be?

I guess everything will shake up when the Big 10 expands and we'll see how things shake up.

I would put the probability of USD & UND joining the MVC in the next 5 years at 75% or higher.

Comment

I'm not sure I would put it that high, but I think it is more likely than not. The problem I think will be keeping all the existing teams. Big 10 expansion is going to key all the changes, IMO, because when that shake up happens somebody somewhere is going to see an opportunity to go FBS.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    I guess everything will shake up when the Big 10 expands and we'll see how things shake up.
                    This is a done deal as soon as NDSU signs the invitation papers.

(I know better, but I just couldn't resist. Self imposed probation for smacking in non-smack section. I am actually surprised someone else didn't jump on it first.)

Comment

I don't get this at all.... the league pretty much is a bus league already isn't it? and like already said going into 2 divisions is stupid unless you have a conference championship

Comment

This is nitpicky but one thing that surprised me while watching this video is he couldn't even say the name of one of his players right. There's an H in Chicos, Meierkort.

Comment

Ed has some Wacker/Brewster tendencies. It's hard to know what's true and what's just a bunch of bluster.

I think Mike and Stu handle him pretty well. It was an interesting episode of Sports Web.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing USD in the MVFC. Good rivalry game. Short drive every other year. But I don't think it's going to happen for a while.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            This is nitpicky but one thing that surprised me while watching this video is he couldn't even say the name of one of his players right. There's an H in Chicos, Meierkort.
                            Not to be nitpicky but his name is Cichos and (i think) was pronounced correctly by Ed.

edited: since i didn't pay too close attention to the webcast.
                            Last edited by joeybrownerHOF; 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM.
                            Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Adding USD or UND or both to the MVFC could be a good thing, I must admit I haven't thought too hard about it and can't list the negatives or positives for us. That said, I'd prefer to hear USD admin approaching that possibility as a huge favor to them as opposed to the stance some are currently taking. The MVFC is great the way it is now, USD will be lucky if they get an invite. To suggest that all of the sudden their presence in DI FCS will lead to a shake-up of one the best leagues is presumptuous at best.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X