Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players no longer with team

via http://twitter.com/hartleyshuddle

TE Sam Kavanagh, LB Jake Weiss, DB Josh Jones and DL Jared Crumly no longer with the SDSU football team for varying reasons.
    Some more detrition for SDSU.

TE Kavanagh doesn't effect much, I believe he has been injured and might have been passed up by Seth Daughters.

LB Weiss is probably the biggest loss. He was highly recruited and was seen as one of our top prospects. The good thing is that the LB core is full of young talent.

DB Jones isn't a big surprise. He was very athletic but also injury prone. He missed most of his Junior & Senior high school seasons and sat out last year with an injury too. This does hurt an already thin CB position though.

DL Crumley was already known. He was going to be buried on the depth chart so it isn't a huge loss.

I'm not sure any of these players would have been on the two-deep depth chart this year. Maybe Weiss or Kavanagh.

Re: Players no longer with team

Weiss?
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten much of a reaction.

Some more info from Terry V's blog today.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

My interpretation of Coach Stig's quote was he just didn't have the full desire to play DI football. One can't blame him, if it's not there than there is no use kidding yourself. Wish him the best of luck.

Comment

Looks like Weiss is moving on to Augie. http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...34/1002/sports

Comment

Wants to be closer to home in SF instead of Brookings? He'll regret that if that is truly the reason (IMO).

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
          Looks like Weiss is moving on to Augie. http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...34/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            Wants to be closer to home in SF instead of Brookings? He'll regret that if that is truly the reason (IMO).
            Wow I didn't think you could get much closer to home, but he did. Very surprising.

Comment

One thing people are forgetting is that he almost chose Augie from the start. Maybe his heart wasn't at SDSU and he felt more comfortable at Augie.

It's a big loss as I thought he could be very good here but I wish him the best.

Comment

One thing that is interesting with the move to DI by the Jacks is all the hand wringing and analysis that goes with matters that seem new and unique but were actually quite common-place for years at SDSU. Case in point being the loss of players from the football and basketball teams.

As a point of reference, (I know your saying "please don't say 'when I played'" - sorry), when I was a freshman in my first fall camp I was one of 7 true-freshman linebackers on the roster. Of those 7, 5 were getting scholarship money (we were graduating most of the starting LB's that year). By the end of the first 2 weeks of fall camp one of those scholarship linebackers decided college football was not his thing. It was rumored then that he was receiving the most money of any of the scholarship linebackers.

Fast forward to my senior year and of those 7 linebackers, only 3 were still on the roster by the time graduation rolled around. It's the nature of the beast, especially in football. It's a tough committment. Throw in a lack of playing time and the temptations of no training rules, etc and many kids decide just to give it up. It just happens. Even with some of the bigger recruits.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                  many kids decide just to give it up. It just happens. Even with some of the bigger recruits.
                  The numbers the usually thrown around around here about the Husker program is that in any given recruiting class, you can count on about 1/3 of the recruits falling off the face of the earth, i.e. flunking out, dropping out, quitting the team or transferring; 1/3 ending up injured or hardly seeing the field; and 1/3 panning out as productive players.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    One thing that is interesting with the move to DI by the Jacks is all the hand wringing and analysis that goes with matters that seem new and unique but were actually quite common-place for years at SDSU. Case in point being the loss of players from the football and basketball teams.

As a point of reference, (I know your saying "please don't say 'when I played'" - sorry), when I was a freshman in my first fall camp I was one of 7 true-freshman linebackers on the roster. Of those 7, 5 were getting scholarship money (we were graduating most of the starting LB's that year). By the end of the first 2 weeks of fall camp one of those scholarship linebackers decided college football was not his thing. It was rumored then that he was receiving the most money of any of the scholarship linebackers.

Fast forward to my senior year and of those 7 linebackers, only 3 were still on the roster by the time graduation rolled around. It's the nature of the beast, especially in football. It's a tough committment. Throw in a lack of playing time and the temptations of no training rules, etc and many kids decide just to give it up. It just happens. Even with some of the bigger recruits.
                    yeah but I think D-I changes a lot of that. the school/team makes a bigger effort of keeping kids and full ride scholarships keep kids more inclined to play. I know of numerous guys my age that went to USD leave after a year or 2 because the $4,000 scholarship wasn't worth it.

I

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                      The numbers the usually thrown around around here about the Husker program is that in any given recruiting class, you can count on about 1/3 of the recruits falling off the face of the earth, i.e. flunking out, dropping out, quitting the team or transferring; 1/3 ending up injured or hardly seeing the field; and 1/3 panning out as productive players.
                      This is spot on. Look at the O-line upperclassman.

Ludeman - obviously not many 6th year players.

McKight - only 5th year Sr. - McKnight walked on and the recruits left early.

Buchner - only 4th year Jr. 3 O-line were recruited with this class. Orne transferred, Luedtke dropped out. Buchner remains.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                        Made me think of an article I read about one of Husker football recruiting classes. Thought I would post a link...

http://www.theindependent.com/articl...0274490482.txt

Comment

In case you were wondering still why moving to SF to be closer to home was an issue for Mr. Weiss please read the sory found on the link below.
                          http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...31/1002/sports

I hope that Jake's willingness to share helps others seek help if they need it.

All the best to this young man.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            In case you were wondering still why moving to SF to be closer to home was an issue for Mr. Weiss please read the sory found on the link below.
                            http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...31/1002/sports

I hope that Jake's willingness to share helps others seek help if they need it.

All the best to this young man.
                            That's a great story. I'm glad he's getting the help he needs and wish him the best at Augie.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              That's a great story. I'm glad he's getting the help he needs and wish him the best at Augie.
                              The kids got a lot more guts than any of us idiots throwing rocks at each other behind pseudonyms. Very nice story and I wish him the best in all he does...very smart to realize he had a problem bigger than himself at such a young age, and to make the correct decisions that will help him succeed.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X