Calling all Sports w/Mark O & Mike H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Sports w/Mark O & Mike H

Posted once and then thought this should get its own thread. Mark & Mike will be starting a new call-in show on KWSN on May 3rd from 2 - 3 on weekdays. More local and live radio, which is a great thing. They have a network of stations around the state which I am really looking forward to hearing from other areas. Good luck Mark & Mike.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Calling all Sports w/Mark O & Mike H

The local radio coverage in SF really bothers me. All they seem to talk about is high school sports, the GPAC, Stampede hockey, and SF Storm. All of that stuff has its place in a local radio program. However, the Argus Leader seems to have learned that providing information on SDSU is good for business. Why don't the local radio stations feel the same way? Is the radio business model really that different? Honestly asking for anybody who knows.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm looking forward to that show. I've known both of these guys personally for a long time and they have always done a great job of covering South Dakota athletics. My guess is they will have a great chemistry together.

They both have given solid coverage to the Jackrabbits over the years.

Good luck guys!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Ever since 1230 AM let ESPN go and went with Fox, I guarantee that the ratings have been way lower. KSOO 99.1FM took a big share of the market and left KWSN scratching their head.
        This is an attempt to save the sports on 1230 AM by putting this show together. I hope they do more on SDSU, USD and Augustana. This is a state that loves College Sports more than anything else about time local radio realizes it!

Comment

A couple of things. First, thanks 1stRow and SB. I am looking forward to it! As of right now we will also be on in Aberdeen, Yankton, and Pierre.

SF Rabbit Fan: You answered your own question. Local, as in Sioux Falls, radio covers Sioux Falls stuff. You may not read the articles in the Argus about the Sioux Falls Storm, the Sioux Falls Stampede, and the University of Sioux Falls and Augustana, or the Sioux Falls high schools, but they are there.

Rabbitnation: KWSN did not put anything together. This show is a production of Sportsmax Radio. And there are no ratings in Sioux Falls. There haven't been for several years.

Looking forward to revealing more information and affiliates in the next couple of weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
            A couple of things. First, thanks 1stRow and SB. I am looking forward to it! As of right now we will also be on in Aberdeen, Yankton, and Pierre.

SF Rabbit Fan: You answered your own question. Local, as in Sioux Falls, radio covers Sioux Falls stuff. You may not read the articles in the Argus about the Sioux Falls Storm, the Sioux Falls Stampede, and the University of Sioux Falls and Augustana, or the Sioux Falls high schools, but they are there.

Rabbitnation: KWSN did not put anything together. This show is a production of Sportsmax Radio. And there are no ratings in Sioux Falls. There haven't been for several years.

Looking forward to revealing more information and affiliates in the next couple of weeks!

There are more SDSU alumni in SF than any other place on Earth. It is pretty easy to argue that SDSU stuff is local SF stuff with the campus being only 45 min away and with so many people in the city having SDSU connections.

Good luck and best wishes. I will be listening and looking forward to some SDSU talk.

Comment

We'll listen in Yankton if SDSU coverage is provided. Maybe some USD fans will listen if they get coverage. If not, there won't be much interest here. DII, the semi-pro teams, Sioux Falls high school athletics don't get much interest.

Either way, Mike and Mark are both very knowledgeable and pleasant to listen to. The content should be whatever they think it should be.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                Like I said, all that stuff has its place in a local media outlet, be it radio, print, or TV. My point was that there is an SDSU athletics article in the Argus almost every day, which would indicate a demand for that type of information.

Nebraska is located in Lincoln, yet somehow Nebraska football dominates sports talk shows in Omaha. I know it is a different situation, but how different is it really?

My comments weren't meant as a knock against you or the new show, I'll be listening. I listen to the current programming from time to time. I would listen more if there was more SDSU programming. In fact, I make it a point to listen when TV, the SDSU AD, or this forum alert me that an SDSU personality will be on or an SDSU topic will be discussed.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                X