Lawyer Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawyer Advice Needed

I need to make a quick change to my will. Its a pretty basic document that I paid $75 to have prepared 8 years ago. I need to change the guardian of my children before I go on a trip Friday. What is the best way to go about doing this. Can I just change the document with a witness present or do I have to have something re-written.

Thanks
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Lawyer Advice Needed

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like you better not go on that trip!

Seriously though, I'd think as long as you have a witness (do they have to be a notary public?) you would be able to change it anytime.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

That was my thought there rowdy. Could I just get a notary to do it or do I have to have another method
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Changing Your Will

(Advice which is worth what you've paid for it, I'm sure . . .)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Call a lawyer where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Call a lawyer where you live.
            That sounds like lawlery advice to me...
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              That sounds like lawlery advice to me...

I'm sending him a bill.

Comment

kinda what I was expecting if I saw a lawyer first. That's why I came here, and whattya know, the bill is still coming.
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

I'm sending him a bill.
                  Of course. Why wouldn't you?
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Reminds me of an old one:

A doctor and a lawyer were making small talk at a cocktail party. A woman approaches the doctor and starts discussing a medical condition with him, asking him what she should do about it. The doctor gives her some advice in the 10-minute convesation and the woman thanks him and walks away.

Doc: "I get that all the time and it really bothers me when I'm trying to just enjoy myself at a social setting. You must have the same thing happen -- people asking for legal advice. What do you do?"

Lawyer: "Send her a bill. You answered her questions and gave her your medical opinion."

Two days later the doctor received a bill.

Comment

A doctor and a lawyer were making small talk at a cocktail party. A woman approaches the doctor and starts discussing a medical condition with him, asking him what she should do about it. The doctor gives her some advice in the 10-minute convesation and the woman thanks him and walks away.

Doc: "I get that all the time and it really bothers me when I'm trying to just enjoy myself at a social setting. You must have the same thing happen -- people asking for legal advice. What do you do?"

Lawyer: "Send her a bill. You answered her questions and gave her your medical opinion."

If you have read John Grisham's "The Assoicate", you get this joke, which I did. Very funny btw.

Comment

Not nearly as funny, but if you’re looking for an entertaining line from a forgettable late-90s comedy, a scene from "Liar Liar" comes to mind. Jim Carrey plays a flustered lawyer named Fletcher, and there's this scene in which his secretary receives an urgent phone call from one of Fletcher's criminally prone clients.

Secretary: He knocked over another ATM. This time at knife point. He needs your legal advice.
                        Fletcher: [picking up phone and shouting] Stop breaking the law, a**hole!

Sound advice indeed. Not sure why I find that scene so funny, maybe it's the absurdity of a common, ATM-robbing street thug having a prominent, big-law trial attorney on retainer.
                        University of South Dakota:
                        Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

This made me laugh really hard. Good work.

Comment

Working...
                          X