Not so Top 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so Top 10!

The Summit League Tourney got some publicity for S.F. There was both good and bad that came for it.
    Good- The dunk made it in the top 10 plays of the day. I saw it at 6th but somebody told me that it made it up to 3rd. That shows the good athletic ball that is played in the Summit League.
    Bad- Guess what the #1 thing was on the "Not So Top 10" plays of the week? It was the horn and scoreboard at the S.F. Arena. They had a nice little skit showing how cheap the Arena is. They showed when the horn was of going off, the guy running to the scorers table. They said something about, make sure you don't turn off the scoreboard. Then they showed the scoreboard shut off. After that, they showed the coaches having a little discussion. They mainly isolated on Ron Hunter. He went over to the scorers table and got a cell phone from their SID(or something like that). They said he was calling his wife to tell her that he'd be late for dinner. After that, he got into a huddle with the cheerleaders. He sure took advantage the Arena's old, crappy, outdated equipment. The Summit League Tourney will bring in $8,000,000 of income over this 4 year span but the can't get enough to have a real facility. I want the tourney to always be in S.F. but I think it would be funny if they didn't get it because they're cheap.

Re: Not so Top 10!

Whoa. I'm not defending the Sioux Falls Arena. It needs to be replaced. But keep in mind that state legislators are the obstacle. They refuse to let Sioux Falls vote on a local sales tax increase to fund a new events center. That stuck horn should be considered a statewide embarrassment, not just a local problem.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Whoa. I'm not defending the Sioux Falls Arena. It needs to be replaced. But keep in mind that state legislators are the obstacle. They refuse to let Sioux Falls vote on a local sales tax increase to fund a new events center. That stuck horn should be considered a statewide embarrassment, not just a local problem.
      That vote wouldn't pass a citywide election anyway. You can betcher bottom dollar on that one.

Comment

With the problems of the Arena showing up that may just open the door for Oakland U to make a bid for the tourney. They have the Palace of Auburn Hills with 20,000 seats a couple of miles away form campus. It may be available with the Pistons for sale and all. Opens up the rest of the year for the Shrine Circus to play. Plus when USD and UND come into the league and the crowd grows with their fan bases, OU has the Pontiac Silverdome with its 90,000 plus seats available. It's just sitting there empty waiting for soccer games or something to happen in it. Plus, aint no better place to be the first of March than Detroit, Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Your joking I hope? The obstacle is hardly the legislature, but the majority of the folks in Sioux Falls who just dont appear to support spending their local dollars on a new facility. Rapid City has found away to not only build the original civic center but to build a second adjoining arena that seats as many as the SFalls arena all without needing additional sales tax authority from the state. Rapid has half the population but has two, I repeat two beautiful facilities which are largely self supporting. The people from Rapid get it. The people in Sioux Falls dont.

Comment

Until there's a local vote, no one can say that Sioux Falls doesn't support a new center. A community group tried to bring a funding plan to a vote, and the Legislature stopped it. ... What's with the anti-Sioux Falls crap? Sheesh.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              That vote wouldn't pass a citywide election anyway. You can betcher bottom dollar on that one.
              I don't agree with this, but then we have discussed this many, many times.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                Your joking I hope? The obstacle is hardly the legislature, but the majority of the folks in Sioux Falls who just dont appear to support spending their local dollars on a new facility. Rapid City has found away to not only build the original civic center but to build a second adjoining arena that seats as many as the SFalls arena all without needing additional sales tax authority from the state. Rapid has half the population but has two, I repeat two beautiful facilities which are largely self supporting. The people from Rapid get it. The people in Sioux Falls dont.
                True to an extent, however the two cities are very different in their ability to attract convention business. RC always has had a large number of hotel rooms because it is a tourist location. Being able to have legit tourism attractions outside of convention time helps getting events to come to your facility. And don't kid yourself, the only time the Empire Mall is considered a tourism attraction is when they say it in their advertising.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  I don't agree with this, but then we have discussed this many, many times.
                  I think -an- events center will pass, eventually. But this one wouldn't.

Comment

I don't live in SF but how busy is the Arena? I know they've had stuff there at least 3 of the last 4 weekends.

Comment

The Arena keeps pretty busy. It's the home for the Storm (football), Stampede (hockey) and Skyforce (basketball), all of which are in season. In addition, events just in the next couple of weeks or so include the state A boys BB tourney, Globetrotters, two concerts and a comedy show. I plucked those off the Arena schedule posted online.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

We have the tournament the next two years but i would say that in 2013 and 2014 it will be either at the Fargo Dome or in Tulsa. We have the best attendance, but it is very important that we get both teams or NDSU in the 2nd round.

I like the thought process of having the women play all their games on one day and then the next day all the men play thier games. Guaranteed sellouts for the men's side and as long as our women are playing we will get at least 5000 there.

Sad thing is we may be playing some of our best basketball in 2013 and we also will have USD in the tourney, but it will be hard to keep it out of Fargo, they have some big sponsors up there they could line up and Oral Roberts just has money and have not enjoyed their trips to Sioux Falls. First round lose by both teams last year and a championship loss this year.

So ww probably have 4 years to get something done in Sioux Falls!

Comment

Working...
                        X