SD High School Basketball Elbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD High School Basketball Elbow

Thought we could move this discussion to a better section on the board.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
    It was the second elbow that he threw in the video. Newton maybe has matured a little, but he is still a thug and I pity the poor school that ends up with him. This kid will never be considered a good role model. Maybe he can go to ORU or OU.
    Now I agree that it was a cheap shot, but to call him a thug, which literally means 'thief' is taking it way too far. As for saying that he will never be considered a good role model. He is 17 or 18 years old, who knows what kind of person he will be when he is 30?
    Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 03-03-2010, 01:36 PM.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Re: SD High School Basketball Elbow

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=5806&page=60

I went back in the thread to find the first mention that SDSU should look at Newton (at least this was the first time I remembered seeing his name mentioned).
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

He stole playing time from Neilson, the kid that has the broken jaw. I stand by thug.

Comment

He stole playing time from Neilson, the kid that has the broken jaw. I stand by thug.
        What about the rest of it?
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If we are giving our opinions about Newton, I'd prefer he not be a Jackrabbit. As for the elbow, I've played basketball competitively for over 25 years and I've never thrown an elbow like that. I've coached basketball at various levels for over 20 years and I would reprimand one of my players if they threw an elbow like that.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I can't comment on Newton since I don't know him from Adam.

As far as the elbow, totally uncalled for at any level. I'm suprised the kid who took it didn't drop like a ton of bricks. He took the shot pretty well and only went to his seat. Looked like it should have KO'd him. Lucky to come out only with a broken jaw and not dislocated jaw or concussion of any sort.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              I can't comment on Newton since I don't know him from Adam.

As far as the elbow, totally uncalled for at any level. I'm suprised the kid who took it didn't drop like a ton of bricks. He took the shot pretty well and only went to his seat. Looked like it should have KO'd him. Lucky to come out only with a broken jaw and not dislocated jaw or concussion of any sort.
              Yeah, it looked like a pretty solid hit.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

This is no more thuggish than a high school player buying/selling a controlled substance.

EDIT: Which, to those who don't understand my thinking, means that neither situation was "thuggish." These are just high school kids who made bad decisions.
                Last edited by SoDakJack; 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  This is no more thuggish than a high school player buying/selling a controlled substance.

EDIT: Which, to those who don't understand my thinking, means that neither situation was "thuggish." These are just high school kids who made bad decisions.
                  Maybe Newton can go to Baylor and scrimmage against Griner. Suckerpunch city.

Comment

I would guess Nagy and staff were well aware of him and perhaps they did notice some of the agressiveness and maybe his skills for a guy his size are not up to snuff and therefore Nagy and crew passed on him. If he needs to put people in the hospital in order to play a good game in BB then we dont need him at SDSU.

The clip is too nasty to watch. Once was enough. I feel bad for Nielsen and hope he fully recovers. SDSHAA officals need to take some action in order to prevent this from happening again.

Comment

Maybe Newton can go to Baylor and scrimmage against Griner. Suckerpunch city.
                      To be fair to Newton, at least his incident occurred while play was going on, plus an elbow vs. punch are on two different levels of intent. While I do believe Newton intentionally threw an elbow towards the OG player (and should be suspended at least a game), I honestly don't think the intent was to hurt the kid, but rather to create space between himself and the defender. This happens probably too often in basketball, but most of the time the elbow doesn't land or merely grazes the defender, not breaks a kids jaw, and that is why what Newton did was such a big deal.

Griner on the other hand, threw a punch after play had stopped, and there is no gray area in concern with intent when a punch is thrown. It is to hurt the recipient! The worst part of the Griner deal was it was a sucker punch, as the Tech player was looking away. It would even be more acceptable if the Tech player was taunting Griner after the play, trying to provoke her, but this clearly was not the case!
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        To be fair to Newton, at least his incident occurred while play was going on, plus an elbow vs. punch are on two different levels of intent. While I do believe Newton intentionally threw an elbow towards the OG player (and should be suspended at least a game), I honestly don't think the intent was to hurt the kid, but rather to create space between himself and the defender. This happens probably too often in basketball, but most of the time the elbow doesn't land or merely grazes the defender, not breaks a kids jaw, and that is why what Newton did was such a big deal.

Griner on the other hand, threw a punch after play had stopped, and there is no gray area in concern with intent when a punch is thrown. It is to hurt the recipient! The worst part of the Griner deal was it was a sucker punch, as the Tech player was looking away. It would even be more acceptable if the Tech player was taunting Griner after the play, trying to provoke her, but this clearly was not the case!
                        Boy, I don't know if I agree with the clearing space idea. You get your elbows up high, it automatically draws the attention of everyone on the court. It isn't a subtle move and you're getting your elbows up in eye view. I really think he knew what he was doing. Probably wasn't trying to break the kids jaw, but he was throwing the elbow on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                          Boy, I don't know if I agree with the clearing space idea. You get your elbows up high, it automatically draws the attention of everyone on the court. It isn't a subtle move and you're getting your elbows up in eye view. I really think he knew what he was doing. Probably wasn't trying to break the kids jaw, but he was throwing the elbow on purpose.
                          I don't think anyone is saying he don't throw the elbow on purpose, just the intent wasn't to hurt the kid, just clear him.

There is a size difference there, where it may had just landed on the side of a kid that normally guards Newton it happened to land on Nielsen's jaw. Because when you take a look at the video, when Newton is standing up and Nielsen is crouched like he is, Nielsen's jaw is right at Newton's elbow level when he has them up like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            I don't think anyone is saying he don't throw the elbow on purpose, just the intent wasn't to hurt the kid, just clear him.

There is a size difference there, where it may had just landed on the side of a kid that normally guards Newton it happened to land on Nielsen's jaw. Because when you take a look at the video, when Newton is standing up and Nielsen is crouched like he is, Nielsen's jaw is right at Newton's elbow level when he has them up like that.
                            The elbow looked pretty brutal. It would be interesting to know if there is any back-story or history of bad blood between these players.

If the elbow hadn't landed, would we all consider it a strong move to the basket?
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              The elbow looked pretty brutal. It would be interesting to know if there is any back-story or history of bad blood between these players.

If the elbow hadn't landed, would we all consider it a strong move to the basket?
                              I think that is a very good point. Watching alot of college basketball this time of year, there seems to be a few of those "flying elbows" that, if landing, would do the same damage.

I also think the fact that it happend to a Sioux Falls player had alot to do with the amount of coverage it has gotten.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X