New Associate AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Associate AD

I heard from a good source SDSU is hiring Leon Castello as a new Associate AD. Word on the street is he and Sell are buddies from UNI. Here's the link to his bio http://www.unipanthers.com/genrel/costello_leon00.html

Re: New Associate AD

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
    I heard from a good source SDSU is hiring Leon Castello as a new Associate AD. Word on the street is he and Sell are buddies from UNI. Here's the link to his bio http://www.unipanthers.com/genrel/costello_leon00.html
    Assume that will be the replacement for Mark Burgers (who as you all know went back to Creighton). Will be good to get the position filled as that is a key, linked with Mark Burgers, to Jackrabbit Club membership and fund raising.

Comment

From his profile photo, he appears to be outgoing and dynamic. Now that AD Sells has a few months under his belt, he no doubt can see where some of his former staff at UNI might be a good fit for working at SDSU. We certainly need new blood and ideas to get to the next level of this long D1 progression.

Comment

Can you imagine the problems if Costello became a top administrator at USD? Who'd be on first?

Abbott & Costello.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Can you imagine the problems if Costello became a top administrator at USD? Who'd be on first?

Abbott & Costello.

It would answer the age old questions "Who's on first?" - Answer: no one, USD doesn't have baseball.

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Go State!

Comment

So we got a guy that was an Associate AD and in charge of Panther Scholarship Club to fill the same spot with us? At first, I figured it would be a step up the ladder(like Sell was).

Good to see that people see this as a parallel move from UNI, a program that has established itself in D1, to SDSU, a program with a great foundation in it's early years of D1.

That's got to say something about the rise of the program in the last 6 years.

Looking forward to seeing what Costello can bring to the Jacks.
            Last edited by gojacksgo; 02-24-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

IMHO, UNI is dealing with some growing pains right now, funding issues mainly and I don't think its a lot of fun. As for SDSU, we are just at the beginning of something big and a lot of people are noticing. More then anything else, its going to be fun working at SDSU and growing monster.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                It would answer the age old questions "Who's on first?" - Answer: no one, USD doesn't have baseball.

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Go State!
                Oh snap.
                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by SFJACK View Post
                  IMHO, UNI is dealing with some growing pains right now, funding issues mainly and I don't think its a lot of fun. As for SDSU, we are just at the beginning of something big and a lot of people are noticing. More then anything else, its going to be fun working at SDSU and growing monster.
                  I think the close relationship with Justin Sell has a lot to do with it. Who wouldn't want to follow a talented co-worker to a new place where you can build something together.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                    So we got a guy that was an Associate AD and in charge of Panther Scholarship Club to fill the same spot with us? At first, I figured it would be a step up the ladder(like Sell was).

I do think this is a step up for Costello becuase I think Ned Gavlick is already in charge of the Jackrabbit Club

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Assume that will be the replacement for Mark Burgers (who as you all know went back to Creighton). Will be good to get the position filled as that is a key, linked with Mark Burgers, to Jackrabbit Club membership and fund raising.
                      My goof for including Jackrabbit Club in my earlier post. Ned Gavlick does handle that...and as I stated, Costello will likely fill the spot held by Mark Burgers, which is full-time fundraising along with Mike Burgers. It is an advancement from his UNI position IMO.

Comment

My understanding is that Leon will be responsible for contracts, media, outreach, several sports, etc. So it's more than just a lateral move for him. This job will have more responsibility than Mark Burgers had, from what I'm able to gather.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          My understanding is that Leon will be responsible for contracts, media, outreach, several sports, etc. So it's more than just a lateral move for him. This job will have more responsibility than Mark Burgers had, from what I'm able to gather.
                          You are exactly right although I don't know how much more responsibility he will have than Mark Burgers. Mark raised the bar in the external operations of our athletic department. Leon will be responsible taking that lead.

Leon has has accomplished a lot at UNI and has a great track record. Being at UNI, I'm sure there is a feeling of being "3rd best" in the state of Iowa. At SDSU, Leon and the entire SDSU athletic department have the unbelievable opportunity to place us as "the" school in the state of SD. That has to be appealing to a guy in athletic administration.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            You are exactly right although I don't know how much more responsibility he will have than Mark Burgers. Mark raised the bar in the external operations of our athletic department. Leon will be responsible taking that lead.

Leon has has accomplished a lot at UNI and has a great track record. Being at UNI, I'm sure there is a feeling of being "3rd best" in the state of Iowa. At SDSU, Leon and the entire SDSU athletic department have the unbelievable opportunity to place us as "the" school in the state of SD. That has to be appealing to a guy in athletic administration.
                            I'm told that Leon will have the go-ahead to evaluate our media program and do whatever he thinks is necessary going ahead. Burgers added the cable stuff, which was a great addition, but clearly he didn't have the experience dealing with media contracts that Leon has from UNI.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Clearly did not have experience in media relations..... Yikes....bold statement! He must know a little something to be back at Creighton and heading the reins soon. People often talk about perception on this board. Creighton is a much better job athletically than SDSU. SDSU has many years of catch up, NCAA appearances to make, and plays in a conference that is trying to get better but is not quite there. Creighton has been there and done that. I don't know either guy...but I do know a tremendous amount about my alam mater and I would bet a large sum of money that he must have ALL the tools necessary for Mr. Rassmussen, who is a big wig in the NCAA, to have confidence in to take over the helm.

Comment

Working...
                              X