Drug Testing HS Athletes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug Testing HS Athletes

One of the morning talk show hosts out here has been pushing the Montana State High School Association into drug testing student athletes before they are allowed to compete in sports or an extracurricular activites.

Personally I think this is an absolutely GREAT idea and I see absolutely no negatives from doing this. It's no secret that marijuana has become an absolute HUGE problem especially in HS. We need to get the problem under control with our youths and what better way to deter them than by taking away extracurricular activities if they fail a test?

I know there may be some people that say "It's just a little pot". Well, it's still an ILLEGAL drug...for EVERYONE.....not just people under the age of 21. IMO, high school students have NO business doing illegal drugs.

The host threw out a stat this morning that 50% of HS have tried pot.....that is a staggering number.

Re: Drug Testing HS Athletes

IMO, pot is no more harmful than drinking or smoking cigarettes. It may be even less harmful, seeing as it is not physically addictive. I wonder what percentage of HS have tried beer or Marlboros?

Medical marijuana is legal in several states (including Montana), with more likely on the way (maybe even Iowa). California has legislation to legalize, regulate, and tax recreational use. Even if that legislation fails, it will be on the ballot in November and who knows what happens then.

Legalizing and regulating marijuana would likely also cause crime rates to drop dramatically in many parts of the US and Mexico.

With that being said, I would be all for testing for drugs on HS athletes if they pair it with a zero tolerance policy on alcohol and tobacco, similar to Watertown's policy. High school aged people shouldn't be doing drugs of any kind, including beer and cigarettes.

Perhaps their drug tests should include tests for performance enhancing and weight loss drugs as well.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      One of the morning talk show hosts out here has been pushing the Montana State High School Association into drug testing student athletes before they are allowed to compete in sports or an extracurricular activites.

Personally I think this is an absolutely GREAT idea and I see absolutely no negatives from doing this. It's no secret that marijuana has become an absolute HUGE problem especially in HS. We need to get the problem under control with our youths and what better way to deter them than by taking away extracurricular activities if they fail a test?

I know there may be some people that say "It's just a little pot". Well, it's still an ILLEGAL drug...for EVERYONE.....not just people under the age of 21. IMO, high school students have NO business doing illegal drugs.

The host threw out a stat this morning that 50% of HS have tried pot.....that is a staggering number.
      Not to call you out, but what are the HUGE problems marijuana has caused in high schools?

Do you also consider underage drinking and smoking to be HUGE problems, especially in high schools?
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        Not to call you out, but what are the HUGE problems marijuana has caused in high schools?

Do you also consider underage drinking and smoking to be HUGE problems, especially in high schools?
        Here are a couple of examples of problems (not specifically related to HS) from today's Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100224019

Two men pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and theft. Last summer, they soaked a couple of 'friends' with gas, threatened to light them on fire, drove them to ATM's and demanded they pay up a drug (marijuana) debt.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...4/NEWS/2240320

18 year old Sam Lint pleaded not guilty to murder and robbery. He killed a 19 year old and then stole money and marijuana from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
          Here are a couple of examples of problems (not specifically related to HS) from today's Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100224019

Two men pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and theft. Last summer, they soaked a couple of 'friends' with gas, threatened to light them on fire, drove them to ATM's and demanded they pay up a drug (marijuana) debt.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...4/NEWS/2240320

18 year old Sam Lint pleaded not guilty to murder and robbery. He killed a 19 year old and then stole money and marijuana from him.
          Those two articles are two reasons why I think the prohibition of marijuana is as stupid as it was for alcohol in the 30's and is actually causing more violence in our communities rather than decreasing the problems actually associated with the drug itself.

If you make marijuana legal and regulate it like alcohol and tobacco you get rid of most of the underground trade and violence associated with it. When is the last time you heard of a murder involving a beer deal gone bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            Those two articles are two reasons why I think the prohibition of marijuana is as stupid as it was for alcohol in the 30's and is actually causing more violence in our communities rather than decreasing the problems actually associated with the drug itself.

If you make marijuana legal and regulate it like alcohol and tobacco you get rid of most of the underground trade and violence associated with it. When is the last time you heard of a murder involving a beer deal gone bad?
            Bold part made me lol.

But I agree with you and SF_Rabbit_Fan.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Although this has turned into a discussion about pot, that isn't the only drug athletes should be tested for. Cocaine, meth, heroine. If you don't think there are HS athletes that have done these drugs you are naive. The fact of the matter is illegal drug use is a problem in the US and trying to get to kids before they start should be the goal.

I agree with SF Rabbit about alcohol and cigs being a problem and I do like the zero tolerance policy. The thing with alcohol and cigs is it can be tough to catch the person doing these. Illegal drugs tend to stay in your system for a longer period thus it would be easier to catch someone. A student shouldn't be doing any drug. Whether it's alcohol, cigs, or pot.

About the legalization of pot. I say until they have some sort of test to test drivers to see if they are high on marijuana that it shouldn't be legalized. Not sure I want a bunch of people driving around high and law enforcement having no reliable test (other than blood work) to determine if they are impaired. Drinking and driving is already problem enough and they have a field test for that.

Medical marijuana is a joke. So many people getting cards that have no need for the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Although this has turned into a discussion about pot, that isn't the only drug athletes should be tested for. Cocaine, meth, heroine. If you don't think there are HS athletes that have done these drugs you are naive. The fact of the matter is illegal drug use is a problem in the US and trying to get to kids before they start should be the goal.

I agree with SF Rabbit about alcohol and cigs being a problem and I do like the zero tolerance policy. The thing with alcohol and cigs is it can be tough to catch the person doing these. Illegal drugs tend to stay in your system for a longer period thus it would be easier to catch someone. A student shouldn't be doing any drug. Whether it's alcohol, cigs, or pot.

About the legalization of pot. I say until they have some sort of test to test drivers to see if they are high on marijuana that it shouldn't be legalized. Not sure I want a bunch of people driving around high and law enforcement having no reliable test (other than blood work) to determine if they are impaired. Drinking and driving is already problem enough and they have a field test for that.

Medical marijuana is a joke. So many people getting cards that have no need for the stuff.
                I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially the test for drivers on pot. It will be interesting to see what happens in CA if the law gets passed. Although, one wonders how many drivers in CA are already under the influence...

I would add performance enhancers and diet drugs to the list of drugs to test for. Make a zero tolerance policy for the cigs and booze. If they get caught by the cops, they're done for a 12 month period. That will stop a lot of athletes from drinking, and since no test is available, that's the best you can hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  When is the last time you heard of a murder involving a beer deal gone bad?
                  Saint Valentine's Day Massacre?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_V...s_Day_massacre

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    My point exactly, that was during prohibition.

Comment

I'm all for it. Pot may not be as bad for you as cigarettes or alcohol, but they still are illegal. (I'll save the legalizing pot for another discussion.) Expand it to anything that is banned or illegal. Steroids, meth, cocaine, alcohol. Test them at the beginning of the year, beginning of their season, randomly during the season, and the end of the year.

Comment

Since activities are an extension of the classroom, are schools going to need to test everyone in school as well?
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                          Since activities are an extension of the classroom, are schools going to need to test everyone in school as well?
                          Why not.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                            Huh?
                            curricular activities vs extra-curricular activities.
                            Right to participate in the second might be based on the first, but not sure how the second is an extension of the first.
                            I admit before hand that I most likely am missing something obvious in what you meant.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

While I understand the zero telerance policy, I don't necessarily agree that it acts as the deterant some claim it to be. The elite athletes may take notice & avoid alcohol or drugs as it would impact their ability to play at the collegiate level. For non-elite athletes (say those who know they won't get a college scholorship), loosing the right to participate in the extra-curricular activity is seen as a risk they are willing to take. Once they are banned, there is little to keep them away from indulging further in the vise. For some, the extra-curricular activity is the only reason they know of for staying out of trouble in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X