Ndsu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndsu

Nice Upset! The wrestlers at least know how to close out a match against a rival! http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/sports/

Re: Ndsu

I didn't expect that at all. I don't follow wrestling, but I know we have struggled. It's a nice win, perhaps this will build some momentum.

On a side note, this team and program are extremely underfunded, Coach Liles does pretty well with the cards he has been dealt. I got the fortune of golfing with Coach Liles at the fundraiser at Lake Region G.C by Arlington. He is a great guy, and I think the program could be more competitive with more financial support.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Nice Upset! The wrestlers at least know how to close out a match against a rival! http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/sports/
      I know a lot of people on this board don't follow the wrestlers, but this is a HUGE win for this program. The program is underfunded, short on coaches, and has had very few quality wrestlers lately, but this type of win could get this program moving in the right direction.

Keep in mind this NDSU team beat Boise State earlier this year in a dual. Boise State was ranked #6 in the country at the time.

Thread drift here, but does anyone on here know if Logan Storley has committed anywhere. For those of you who don't know about him he is a junior from Webster who has already won 4 state titles. If he can win his junior and senior seasons that would make him only the 2nd person (I believe) in SD wrestling history to win 6. I fear he is out of the Jacks league, but you never know.

Comment

Nice win over the Bison. Coach Liles has recruited very well and the wrestling program is going to only improve.

Comment

ANY win over the Bizon, is a NICE win! This came as a surprise to me as well and kudos to the Jacks men for a good victory. Remember the Jacks Wrestlers host the NCAA Regional the first weekend in Brookings. Get out and support them.

Comment

Good win for the Jacks. You know when you irk the opposing coach, like the comments the Bison coach gave, that you came away with a good win.

I wonder if there would be any possibility off discontinuing a sport like Tennis in order to move some money over to the wrestling and maybe swimming teams. It probably doesn't cost that much to operate but any little bit would help and I don't feel like too many people would miss the SDSU tennis teams being gone. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              Good win for the Jacks. You know when you irk the opposing coach, like the comments the Bison coach gave, that you came away with a good win.

I wonder if there would be any possibility off discontinuing a sport like Tennis in order to move some money over to the wrestling and maybe swimming teams. It probably doesn't cost that much to operate but any little bit would help and I don't feel like too many people would miss the SDSU tennis teams being gone. Thoughts?
              The 10 players on the current roster who came to SDSU to play tennis would miss it! One of the best part about college athletic participation is the life skills (training, dedication, etc...) it develops for those who participate in them, and I am against cutting opportunities unless it is a last resort. This could bring into the argument of revenue sport vs. non-revenue sport, but I'm tired of talking about that due to having to study Title IX the last couple weeks in my "Sport in American Culture" class.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Easy now. I wouldn't be talking about cutting any sports to free up money for another sport at SDSU, especially in the Wrestling threads.

Great win Jacks!! Always good to take a little arrogance out of the sails of the Bison.

Go Jacks!!
                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

They've got a plan in place to increase funding for every sport. Obviously, revenue sports are a higher priority because they help bankroll sports like wrestling, etc.

It's a matter of time and patience.

Comment

I am not in favor of discontinuing any sport(s) at SDSU. If I remember correctly when the Division I move was made the administration made a commitment NOT to drop sports. In fact, they added one in Equestrian. Besides, the same could said for Tennis, if we dropped wrestling and swimming and moved the funding to Tennis I am sure our tennis program would be better funded and thus more competitive.

Fundraising is the answer, not dropping sports. We will get the funding for all our sports but it will take time.
                    We...ARE...STATE!
                    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

You seem to forget...Many of the tennis alums are fairly well off financially. Why strain a good relationship?

From what I've read at GoJacks and in the Brookings Register, coach Hanson has a lot of time invested in the program. Two Australians on the men's side and another one coming. I believe he said he feels really good about the program and it finally has a chance to be extremely competitive at the lower and middle Division I levels. Still a ways of on the upper
                      echelons.

I have heard some good rumblings from a few people on campus that the tennis program is looking at putting together a fairly significant project that would not only boost SDSU tennis, but Brookings area tennis and potentially tennis in the eastern half of South Dakota.

Comment

I like tennis and follow the teams. I like wrestling and swimming too. Let's do this: This thread is about SDSU's win over NDSU in wrestling. Mitchell's comment may lead to a different discussion and if people want to have that debate, it probably should be in a different thread. (I'm not criticizing Mitchell stating an opinion -- I don't agree with him but how many sports we support is a fair discussion point -- just trying to do a little Moderator housekeeping.)

Comment

Sorry for the thread drift.

I figured people would be a bit defensive to the idea and alot of people posted good opinions.

I'm just tired of hearing about how our programs are under-funded or short staffed. It kind of goes with the "Jack of all trades, master of none" philosophy where we might be able to fund all these programs and get by, but not be able to fund them well enough to be successful.

I do also realize though that we aren't even 10 years into our DI transition, and that eventually the plan is for all the athletic programs SDSU offers to be funded adequately.

I just feel like wrestling is a sport that fits well within our region and a sport that we should be able to succeed in. Before the season started, I think South Dakota had 4 or 5 high school wrestlers ranked nationally by Intermat and it's a shame that we haven't been able to get the program at SDSU towards a higher standard.

Sorry again for the drift, big win yesterday for Jacks. Hopefully we will be able to get 2 kids into nationals this year and keep improving. I do think that this program will improve and next year will have at least 3 very good wrestlers in Walraven, Pickrel, & Elliot.
                          Last edited by mitchell; 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

it was an embarassing loss for ndsu to say the least, sdsu was what 1-12? congrats on the win, thats why you wrestle the match!

Comment

No doubt a very big win. I never was too crazy about wrestling until one afternoon while in between classes, I heard cheering noise coming out of the now Intramural Building and went inside to see what was going on. A real and rare competitive afternoon wrestling match was going on, and I stayed and enjoyed. Also attended several others and learned to enjoy watching Dee Brainard, and others wrestle.

I havent been much of a wrestling fan recently but to beat the Bison is as big as a football win. NDSU has a few national banners in Wrestling and Bucky Maughm is a master of wrestling coaching. I can really understand his wrath about this outcome because maybe we dont belong on the mat with them. Without a doubt funding is our problem. Jason Liles knows what he is doing, but if we get third and fourth choices for recruits, then its hard to expect too much success. Liles can do so much.

As far as underfunding, its a real problem, but I think there is progress being made.

At a SDSU Foundation banquet maybe 5 years ago, I recall sitting at the same table as an alum from Chicago, maybe 15 years my junior, but she was a real tennis star at SDSU in her student days, and went on to be very succesful at her work in Chicago and since funded a full scholarship for Tennis. I am sure this person would be very disappointed if we dropped tennis.

Also attending two Endowment banquets in the fall, we seem to have a few people who have funded scholarships for nearly every sport we have. So dropping any sport would be reckless. Having only 14 sports has given NDSU some advantage since they dont have to spread their cash around like we do with 22 sport so yes its to be expected that many sports are underfunded, and we need paasionate and generous alums to come forward and help out in the sports that they either played or watched during their student days. We can all do something to correct the underfunded problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X