Coach Stiegelmeir in Yankton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Stiegelmeir in Yankton

Not sure if the football forum is the right place for this but Coach will be in Yankton on Monday evening March 1st. This Summit is for fathers and sons (sorry ladies). Tickets are $8 and can be ordered at the number noted at the end. On another note, should it be Stig or Stieg?

Men’s Summit At Calvary Baptist March 1, 2010 6 PM

Calvary Baptist Church Men’s Ministry is pleased to welcome John Stiegelmeier who will be speaking at a special Men’s Summit on Monday evening March 1st at 6 P.M. Known to many as Coach Stig, John serves at head coach of SDSU football team. John Stiegelmeier has built the South Dakota State University football team into a consistent winner and a program on the rise in the ranks of the Division I Football Championship Subdivision.

Overall, Coach Stig has led the Jackrabbits to a 75-56 record (.573 winning percentage). SDSU has posted seven consecutive winning seasons, including the school’s first five campaigns at the FCS (formerly Division I-AA) level. The Jackrabbits have had a winning record in 10 of Stiegelmeier’s 12 years as head coach, including five with seven or more victories.

Coach Stig commented, “I continue to be amazed by the quality of the individuals that I am blessed to work with. From top to bottom, we have great people in our program. I couldn't ask for a better staff or better players. SDSU football is full of great people. I am most proud of the commitment within our program. I feel blessed to be part of such a great effort.”

Back in October Pastor Jon Cooke, who serves as the senior pastor at Calvary Baptist Church, was privileged to lead a chapel service for the Jackrabbit football team and observe a behind the scenes view of the team as it prepared for its Hobo Days game with Northern Iowa. Pastor Cooke was impressed by the many facets of leadership at work in the coaching staff and team on that day that he wanted to share them with the men of his church. Pastor Cooke contacted Coach Stig and he expressed his excitement for the opportunity to come to Yankton to speak at the men’s summit.

Pastor Cooke stated that members of the community are invited to join us for the summit. A tailgate meal will be served beginning at 6 P.M. on Monday March 1st with a program following. Tickets are available at the church office or by calling 665-5594 for $8 with children 12 and under admitted free.
    Last edited by jackmd; 02-19-2010, 10:10 AM.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Coach Stiegelmeir in Yankton

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    On another note, should it be Stig or Stieg?
    Depends on if you've got significant German ancestry, perhaps?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Stig for my vote.

and Hobo Day, not Hobo Days!

Comment

Coach Stig spoke at the Valentine's dinner for the United Methodist Men last year. I was in attendance, and it was a very good experience. I would recommend to those of you in and around Yankton to attend this event.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Coach Stig spoke at the Valentine's dinner for the United Methodist Men last year. I was in attendance, and it was a very good experience. I would recommend to those of you in and around Yankton to attend this event.

One last thing, if you want to talk about SDSU football this is the wrong platform, the focus of his appperance will be about the importance of God and family.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Stig for my vote.

Or perhaps Hobo Day's
            USD Fan

Comment

does stig get paid for these engagements? if so, any clue how much?

Comment

Originally posted by are you serious View Post
                does stig get paid for these engagements? if so, any clue how much?
                I am nearly 100% certain this is not a paid appearance. Coach Stig and Pastor John met at the Yankton Jackrabbit Club golf event last spring and hit it off. Coach invited Pastor John up to Brookings to be with the team before the UNI game and now Coach Stig is giving back some of his time for those in the Yankton community who are interested in hearing his perspective on his faith and its effect on his life as a husband, father, and football coach. This is not directly about SDSU football and that is why I probably should have posted it elsewhere. However, the reason most of us know Coach Stig is because of SDSU football so perhaps this is the proper place in the forum.
                Last edited by jackmd; 02-19-2010, 10:11 AM.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Stig for my vote.

He signs his name "Coach Stig"
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Proud of you Stigs. Glad to see this. South Dakota as well as our country becoming more and more secular. Stig's is an incredible man and is a great model for our student athletes. There is almost no way he get paid an if he did he wouldn't take it. The list of Christian coaches and Godly men is long in college football. Hopefully this continues.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                      He signs his name "Coach Stig"
                      There you have it, Stig it is. I will make the edits.

I plan to attend. I will have to leave to attend my 2nd graders concert at 7 pm but I will return to the summit. I think it is safe to assume that Coach Stig won't mind.

Comment

Coach Stig is a very sincere and moral man. I think his visit to Yankton speaks of a side we don't see in most coaches.

I wonder how many other D1 coaches say "Holy Nutmeg"?

We are lucky to have Coach Stig and his standards are what we should all seek in life. I think this thread is football related so its okay where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                          Proud of you Stigs. Glad to see this. South Dakota as well as our country becoming more and more secular. Stig's is an incredible man and is a great model for our student athletes. There is almost no way he get paid an if he did he wouldn't take it. The list of Christian coaches and Godly men is long in college football. Hopefully this continues.
                          I'm glad Stig is the man he is and I respect his beliefs. But I'm also pretty sure that Stig wouldn't judge me as a lower quality person because I am more "secular" nor would he consider himself to be a better person than anyone else because of his strong religious beliefs.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I'm glad Stig is the man he is and I respect his beliefs. But I'm also pretty sure that Stig wouldn't judge me as a lower quality person because I am more "secular" nor would he consider himself to be a better person than anyone else because of his strong religious beliefs.
                            I'd say you are right about that. That said, if you are not a particularly religious person don't let that prevent you from attending. Look at this as an opportunity to learn more about what makes a man like John Stieglemeir tick. You might also gain some perspective or provide insight for others.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              I am sure he would not as he seems to stay away from being judgemental, but if you were to press him or argue a thought contrary to his beliefs be they religious or football, he would not likely to be a potted plant.

I once sent him an angry letter, in fact in his first season as head coach and to my surprise I got a rather angry reply but he was angry in trying to defend himself in his first season. His letter was effective though, since it made me feel like a big fool and I got on the telephone and apologize. He gladly accepted my apology and told how much he appreciated my support financial and passion as a fan. We been the best of friends since that time.

He does like to use words such as blessing and blessed often, but I suppose those references could be intrepretated in more ways than one and are harmless. I am a big defender of separation of church and state, but none of that stuff applies to Stig and his choice of words.

Lastly, if I were head coach at SDSU and was going into a game with UNI, I would invite the Baptist clergyman to come and talk to the team. Holy nut meg, I am a Lutheran like Coach Stig.

Comment

Working...
                              X