Fighting Pheasants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting Pheasants

Fighting Pheasants to replace Canaries on the diamond.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100217033

Re: Fighting Pheasants

I'm gonna want royalties . . .

From January 4, 2006:

http://www.sdsufans.com/board/showpo...6&postcount=20

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Fightin' Pheasants
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      Fighting Pheasants to replace Canaries on the diamond.

So the Argus is basing their speculation off a website domain? Sounds like more great reporting from the Argus Leader.

Comment

It is official

Comment

I hate it. It doesn't seem like the put any originality into it. It seems like they saw Aberdeen used to have a semi-pro team called the Pheasants and were like "Hey, that's a good nickname, let's use that."

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            I hate it. It doesn't seem like the put any originality into it. It seems like they saw Aberdeen used to have a semi-pro team called the Pheasants and were like "Hey, that's a good nickname, let's use that."
            You are correct and the Aberdeen Pheasants and the Sioux Falls Canaries were both in the Northern League where each franchise was owned by a Major League Franchise. I believe they were Class AA during the 1950's and they kind of fell apart later on and were revived again in the 1970's. Terry Francono, who is a manger somewhere was born in Aberdeen when his dad was playing for the Pheasants. His dad was also a major leaguer Since the Aberdeen franchise is dead I suppose the name Pheasants is a avilable for any taker.

Comment

Terry Francona was born April 22, 1959 in Aberdeen. He got his 500th win as Boston Red Sox Manager last year.

His dad went by Tito Francona and, as well as playing baseball in the pros many years, was an all star.

Comment

If you get a chance check out Zimmers first blog on the name change in today's Argus. Zooropa was on a roll.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Its not a bad name, its better then canaries.... but I thought they could of done better.... In minor league baseball you have names like the Casper "Ghost", Modesto "Nuts", New Britain "Rock Cats", Toledo "Mud Hens", and my favorite the Montgomery "Biscuits"

Minor league sports are where you can go out and get an original name that seems out there and make it your own.... The Skyforce are a good example of that.... Even the Storm is a pretty original nickname...

Comment

I heard the new name and just went, "What?" Does anyone else think it is silly?

I get the Pheasants for a nickname but Fighting Pheasants is just silly IMO. Pheasants is probably better than Canaries ('cause there is such a huge Canary population in SD).

I like the last posters ideas. A lot more could have been done with it. Either way, the games are a good time.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Not a fan. The Pheasants are only good for shooting and flying out of the ditch to hit your car driving down the highway. Canaries are at least a name that has tradition in SF. I felt like the owners are going to be making changes just to make changes. I would have come up with a new logo and uniforms which would have been an appropriate change I beleive. It might be hard for me to make a game there. Im sure they wont miss 1 fan from attending games that use too but for awhile i think i will stear clear.

It was like the people who wanted to change the SDSU mascot from the jackrabbit. Most of us were against that, but some felt going D-1 we needed to up our imagine make a fresh change. After it didnt happen seemed we didnt really need to make a change to get some recoginition. I think the fan base will feel like starting over not knowing the identity or what too expect, maybe these changes will only add too the fan experience but I can see their only concern is the bottom line. Not thats its a bad thing but would think envolving the fans in changes would only make more people interested in the team.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Granted, I'm not Tony Dean, but I've done my share of pheasant hunting. The pheasant is wiley, sneaky and cowardly - I've never met one that was anything close to 'fighting'.

I once saw a man get his A$$ handed to him by a wild turkey and I would have to say that was a 'fighting' wild turkey. He looked like Tina Turner after Ike had a bad night at the track!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          It was like the people who wanted to change the SDSU mascot from the jackrabbit. Most of us were against that, but some felt going D-1 we needed to up our imagine make a fresh change. After it didnt happen seemed we didnt really need to make a change to get some recoginition. I think the fan base will feel like starting over not knowing the identity or what too expect, maybe these changes will only add too the fan experience but I can see their only concern is the bottom line. Not thats its a bad thing but would think envolving the fans in changes would only make more people interested in the team.
                          SDSU had other legitimate reasons to change the appearance of the Jackrabbit. I don't like the Fighting part, I'm already with the Pheasants. I share zoo's views, SF Pheasant games are just an excuse to drink beer outside without having to grill.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            SDSU had other legitimate reasons to change the appearance of the Jackrabbit. I don't like the Fighting part, I'm already with the Pheasants. I share zoo's views, SF Pheasant games are just an excuse to drink beer outside without having to grill.
                            I do not mean the jackrabbit logo change, some wanted to change away from the jackrabbit completely. I think I heard the bullfrogs was a new name thrown around.

Not sure why the name change would be nesiccary for that to continue drinking beer. Why not get a little fan involvment picking or submitting names. Just a thought if you want to expand your business to get more customers. I will most likely end up going some time still and get use to it, but that doesnt mean I need to like the change.

Wish I had more canaries gear to wear to the games now for the peashants now.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I do not mean the jackrabbit logo change, some wanted to change away from the jackrabbit completely. I think I heard the bullfrogs was a new name thrown around.
                              Not saying that I know of everything that was ever discussed, but I never heard anything about changing away from Jackrabbits. That would have been a monumental mistake.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X