Is Manning best ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Manning best ever?

Nomination for Top 5 QBS of the modern NFL era (i.e. after the '57 championship game).

1. Unitas
    2. Manning (Peyton not Archie)
    3. Montana
    4. Elway
    5. Tarkenton

Brady has not done it quite as long as the guys on this list. Marino was arguably the best passer but he was too immobile. Warner was exciting and won a Super Bowl but was not as mobile as Tarkenton. Starr was not a great passer; good field general, though.
    Unitas gets my vote because he called his own game; none of the other guys on this list did. Also did it in an age of Run First.

Re: Is Manning best ever?

I've really only seen Warner, Favre, Manning and Brady play. But as far as calling his own game, I'd have to say that Peyton has been doing that for quite awhile now. He is basically the offensive coordinator out there.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Tarkenton is not top five, he probably is not even top ten. His name is never mentioned when people talk about top QB's.

Comment

Great topic.

If you use the criteria for keeping Marino off the top 5 because he was too immobile, then you can't have Manning #2 because he can't move.

In my opinion I think three names need to be discussed: Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre. I agree that Brady hasn't played long enough, but at the end of his career he most certainly will be in this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
          Tarkenton is not top five, he probably is not even top ten. His name is never mentioned when people talk about top QB's.

Did you ever see him play? IMHO best ever at keeping plays alive and improvising. Also a lot of these records the young guns have been setting the last few years were his, set in 14-game and shorter-playoff seasons.

Comment

Joe Montana. When Manning wins his fourth Super Bowl then let the discussions begin.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Joe Montana. When Manning wins his fourth Super Bowl then let the discussions begin.
              I've always hated this argument. 1 player does not win the SB by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Did you ever see him play?
                Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  I've always hated this argument. 1 player does not win the SB by himself.
                  Agreed. But I'd also argue that putting up big stats doesn't necessarily make one the best at their position either. Here's one that I absolutely don't understand (off topic, but still relevant), why is Joe Namath in the Hall of Fame? Stats weren't great. Won one Super Bowl. But some consider him one of the greats.

My personal definition is who performed at his best when the most was on the line (i.e. in the Playoffs). Montana - four rings, 3 SB MVP's. Heck, Terry Bradshaw, who no one has even mentioned, won 4 Super Bowls. Stats weren't great, but he was a winner, which to me makes him in the discussion of one of the greats of all time. Pre-Super Bowl there has to be some different consideration, but in the SB generations there are some criteria that I personally put on "the greats".

Comment

Agreed. But I'd also argue that putting up big stats doesn't necessarily make one the best at their position either. Here's one that I absolutely don't understand (off topic, but still relevant), why is Joe Namath in the Hall of Fame? Stats weren't great. Won one Super Bowl. But some consider him one of the greats.

My personal definition is who performed at his best when the most was on the line (i.e. in the Playoffs). Montana - four rings, 3 SB MVP's. Heck, Terry Bradshaw, who no one has even mentioned, won 4 Super Bowls. Stats weren't great, but he was a winner, which to me makes him in the discussion of one of the greats of all time. Pre-Super Bowl there has to be some different consideration, but in the SB generations there are some criteria that I personally put on "the greats".
                    Terry Bradshaw is not in the discussion. In the least. If you get carried to 4 SBs that does not make you great.

Comment

Namath got in because he played in New York and was Broadway Joe.

Interesting point on Bradshaw. I see him more of a Phil Simms kind of QB, workmanlike, decent thrower, but nothing flashy. His most famous pass, i.e., the immaculate reception, was thrown five feet over the receiver.

Comment

I have no idea, but considering all the rule changes since Unitas retired, how do compare him to a QB of the last twenty years? And how many years/rule changes between his retirement and 1990? Unitas played a different game, IIRC heplayed his entire career with the rule that DBs could make contact until the ball was in the air.

I think Montana was the best I have ever seen, but right there is Manning, Favre, Staubach, Elway, Kelley, Young, and Brady.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                          Terry Bradshaw is not in the discussion. In the least. If you get carried to 4 SBs that does not make you great.
                          Touched a nerve I was too young to remember the Steelers teams of the late '70's, so I'll trust your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                            Its because his TEAM never won a Super Bowl. He would definitely be in the discussion of top 4 if the Vikings won at least one of the three SB he was in. He owned all the records until Marino broke them and he is always in the discussion of top QBs. Tarkenton is at least top 10 QB of all time regardless of SB wins.

Comment

Touched a nerve I was too young to remember the Steelers teams of the late '70's, so I'll trust your input.
                              Haha, I was born in 89 so I never saw him play, but I have just heard things about the "Steel Curtain" and his stats aren't very elite. I just don't like the argument of team success in an argument about individual talent. A different sport example: A lot of people were saying that if the Twins wouldn't have made the playoffs, Mauer's shot at MVP would have gone down. Which I think is stupid.

It's just one of my sport's pet peeves.

Comment

Working...
                              X