SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

I wasn't gonna post this but just couldn't resist, like usual. Lets not beat around the bush with this. The Jacks stepped in and stole one of the USD verbals. There is no grey area in a black and white issue. It will be interesting to see what SDSU fans think of this. I am sure there will be plenty of reasons for them to do nothing but rationalize this as an honorable move. Of course the bu**sh*t will be spewing from the glass houses but I can assure you that if USD stole one of SDSU's verbals there would be a 20 page rant on this message board and everything that USD has done in the past 10 years would be scrutinized and USD would be called nothing but "cheap", " "second class", whatever you wanna call it. I bet now that the shoe is on the Jackrabbit foot everything is "all good".

Meirkort was talking about this on the radio yesterday (or something to it's effect) and said that it was immoral for a program to convince a verbal to change their mind. He said that at USD they don't recruit that way. Way to go Ed, way to go.

Which program plays with honor and integrity and which one doesn't? You the reader decide.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: SDSU Steals USD Verbal Shelock

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    I wasn't gonna post this but just couldn't resist, like usual. Lets not beat around the bush with this. The Jacks stepped in and stole one of the USD verbals. There is no grey area in a black and white issue. It will be interesting to see what SDSU fans think of this. I am sure there will be plenty of reasons for them to do nothing but rationalize this as an honorable move. Of course the bu**sh*t will be spewing from the glass houses but I can assure you that if USD stole one of SDSU's verbals there would be a 20 page rant on this message board and everything that USD has done in the past 10 years would be scrutinized and USD would be called nothing but "cheap", " "second class", whatever you wanna call it. I bet now that the shoe is on the Jackrabbit foot everything is "all good".

Meirkort was talking about this on the radio yesterday (or something to it's effect) and said that it was immoral for a program to convince a verbal to change their mind. He said that at USD they don't recruit that way. Way to go Ed, way to go.

Which program plays with honor and integrity and which one doesn't? You the reader decide.
    Wait so a guy who visited SDSU, which was his own decision none the less, and then decides to go back on his verbal is SDSU's fault? Shelock wanted to take his visit to SDSU, we didn't force him to, and he decided SDSU was a better fit. Sure, he could have waited to verbal to USD but he didn't. IT HAPPENS.

It's happened to SDSU too. Nebraska called up one of our verbals the day before NSD and said wanted him to walk-on there.

These are 18-year old kids that have a hard time deciding what shirt to wear that day let a lone which college they want to spend five years at.

The fact you find this unusual is kind of funny, it happens all the time. Look at all the people on NSD that decommited from a school only to sing some place else. Get over yourself.

Comment

Maybe Sherlock realized he looked better in Blue and Yellow than he did in Commie Red...
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

It's Sherlock. Mods, can the spelling in title be corrected?

Comment

CF is right. We'd be mad if this happened the other way around. And Mango's right. It's ultimately the kid's choice whether to verbal and then whether to make a campus visit.

But seriously... immoral? Wow. Eddie "The Mouth" Meierkort strikes again. They guy is a good coach, but he's basically Jim Wacker/Tim Brewster when you stick a microphone in front of him. To be fair, I'm sure he's a much better coach than those two dopes.

Here's what Stig said about it: "I'll tell you what I said to him," Stiegelmeier said. "I defined what South Dakota State football was about, and I said that we're different than the University of South Dakota. We're not better, we're different. It's your job to decide where you fit. You didn't have that opportunity. If you want an opportunity, here's an official visit. My job is to help guys make decisions. If they only visit our school and I force them into making a decision, I didn't help him. I have a peace about that."

A little more thoughtful than just whining that it was "immoral".

Bottom line: These are 18-year-olds making a very important decision in their lives. Let's just let them do so, wish them well and move on with the ones who choose to be Jackrabbits or Coyotes.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I didn't hear any coyote fans whining, or talking about how it was wrong when Meirkort told the Argus Leader that the recruiting for Gebhart wasn't over even though he had already committed to NDSU. Sounds to me like Ed is talking out both sides of his mouth.

Comment

maybe we should be complaining that the U "stole" Meghan Hilson from our cross country team because she thought about going to State. Even things out about this Sherlock decision. Or as we say wahhhh efffing wahhh.

Comment

You must not be a close follower of major college football. If you have watched ESPN during the last month or two,the crawler at the bottom of the screen has been filled with de-commits. Some do it multiple times - one 4 star RB changed from Oregon to Minn. to TCU and then back to Oregon. It may not be right,but it happens all the time. If football had an early signing period like basketball,some of this could be avoided.

Comment

Maybe I am in the minority here, but if Udot would "steal" one of our verbals I wouldn't really get too upset. After all, one recruit out of 15 isn't bad and one guy won't make or break the team because of all the talent that the Jacks have.

Perhaps if the program was as strong as the folks in Verm say it is, the program wouldn't be so affected by this happening.

I find someone involved with USD calling anyone "immoral" highly ironic.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We lost Jelsma to South Dakota's team. That seems unfair to me. I bet CF slipped him a 100 dollar bill.

Comment

Thanks for some wake up humor :

Comment

Maybe this is a big misunderstanding and USD got a verbal from "Shelock" and the Jacks signed "Sherlock." Just a thought.....

CF is right. Some Jacks fans would be ticked royally, but if I recall correctly when Nebraska swooped down literally at the 11th hour on us folks on this board also argued that this is the way kids decide sometimes, and you gotta let them make their own decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                          I didn't hear any coyote fans whining, or talking about how it was wrong when Meirkort told the Argus Leader that the recruiting for Gebhart wasn't over even though he had already committed to NDSU. Sounds to me like Ed is talking out both sides of his mouth.
                          Ed always talks out of both sides of his mouth, that's his shtick. Works on some kids and their parents, others can tell right away. Now, that is just my opinion and others are entitled to there opinions.

I don't know that we stole this recruit, we just offered him an option and he chose it. I had a hard time accepting the midnight walk-on offer from Nebraska until I realized it had nothing to do with me. I actual met the young man at Royals game in Kansas City and he explained it to me from his perspective, an 18 year old kids perspective. It was particularly difficult because that scholarship could have been used to recruit another young man earlier in the process but it wasn't meant to be.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

One more thing, this is one of the reasons I like these forums gives us a chance to hear the opinion of fanatics on both sides of many issues.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: SDSU Steals USD Verbal Sherlock

If Meierkort kept talking to Gebhart, and Gebhart says he did, then the only thing he's got a right to be upset about is that Stig got Sherlock.

Comment

Working...
                              X