Official Release 2010 Signing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Release 2010 Signing Day

21 total including a couple of walk-ons from NE and one from AZ that weren't on our radar, at least not that I was aware of.

http://www.gojacks.com/downloads1/36...B_OEM_ID=15000
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Official Release 2010 Signing Day

Was someone saying we don't recruit SD anymore? Was that on this forum? I can't remember for sure. Looks like 1/3 of this years class is from SD. The largest number of any state. I'd say that person is wrong. Sure several are walk-ons, that doesn't mean we didn't recruit them and in fact might mean we recruited them even harder.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Was someone saying we don't recruit SD anymore? Was that on this forum? I can't remember for sure. Looks like 1/3 of this years class is from SD. The largest number of any state. I'd say that person is wrong. Sure several are walk-ons, that doesn't mean we didn't recruit them and in fact might mean we recruited them even harder.
      As well as interest in Farniok, Hannigan, Jelsma, and a few others that I have probably forgot about.

Comment

I was critical towards the jacks earlier because i thought that the state had more to offer than just Sumner and now I am completely impressed with our recruiting class. Seven in state kids is very impressive and I coudln't be any happier. I am glad that we got a few instate kids to take preferred walk on's. Getting a kid like Tunge to walk-on is great.
        I think the class as a whole looks solid. Maybe some of our kids didn't get a lot of attention from the bigger schools because they weren't big enough or didn't run the 40 fast enough. But that's ok, what we got were football player's and i'll take them anyday.

Comment

I'm glad we got some SD kids. If we get none next year, I'll be fine with that, too. Our population is a tiny blip on the radar, and while SD may well produce more than its share of D1 athletes, it's a big country and we have to compete at a high level in the MVC. I'm just glad our coaches worry about getting good players and young men of good character no matter where they might be.

Once they get here, they're Jackrabbits. That's all that matters to me.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            I'm glad we got some SD kids. If we get none next year, I'll be fine with that, too. Our population is a tiny blip on the radar, and while SD may well produce more than its share of D1 athletes, it's a big country and we have to compete at a high level in the MVC. I'm just glad our coaches worry about getting good players and young men of good character no matter where they might be.

Great post! It can't be said much better.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

I agree 100%. It is nice that 7 SD players are included in this years class, we are the state's land grand university. However, if there are fewer next year it does not reflect negatively on our coaching staff.

Comment

I agree 100%. It is nice that 7 SD players are included in this years class, we are the state's land grand university. However, if there are fewer next year it does not reflect negatively on our coaching staff.
                Freudian slip? <chuckle>
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I totally agree. Of course the day that there are no kids signed from SD in any given year there will be alot of people in SD throwing a hissy fit and the number of kids signed this year will not matter one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                    I totally agree. Of course the day that there are no kids signed from SD in any given year there will be alot of people in SD throwing a hissy fit and the number of kids signed this year will not matter one bit.
                    The fact is that coaches will go after the players that they think will help their programs--and they will go wherever they need to go (within their budget) to do that. If kids closer to home will help the program, the coaches have a strong incentive to recruit those kids, because it costs less to recruit them than it does to recruit someone in Arizona or California or Florida.

Does the occasional local kid get overlooked? Of course. Last time I checked, coaches were human. But the whole conspiracy-theory feel that some folks give off with their "why don't they sign more local kids" thing just leaves me totally cold.

/rant off
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would be willing to make a sizeable wager that the ratio of SD kids v. out of state kids in this year's signing class would be as high, if not higher, than any class from the early-late '90's when we were still DII. (Hold, here it comes) - "Back when I was recruited" (sorry) I know that a high percentage of kids who were signed were from MN, IA or NE. That was 1993-4.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                      X