Mauer Number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauer Number?

If the 10 year contract report is correct. What do you think the number is?

This is just a guess - $185 million? Little bit on the cheap but ten years guaranteed is nice.

Re: Mauer Number?

$200M minimum.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Star Trib reports today that report was not correct. That is as far as I read, I just want to read that he is signed. And Soon!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If he signs a 10-year deal it will be $200 mil.

twinsbaseball.com had a story up last night that said the deal getting done is a matter of when, not if.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          If he signs a 10-year deal it will be $200 mil.

twinsbaseball.com had a story up last night that said the deal getting done is a matter of when, not if.
          Yeah I don't see the deal being for any less than $200 million if its for 10 years. He is the reigning MVP and becoming arguably the best catcher ever, plus he is setting the market for the rest of MLB. There may be some hometown discount, but I don't think its gonna be much.

Comment

I think 10 years, $200M would be the hometown discount. Yankees and Red Sox would be in the $25-30M/year range I do believe.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I thought I heard $220 million. 10 years is a lot for a full time catcher, but the Twins really don't have a choice in my opinion. Ortiz leaves, fine. Johan leaves, a little irritated, but fine. Mauer leaves, the lynching begins. Can't do it with the new stadium. No way, no how.

Why did this come out late last week and then fizzle again? It's getting down to crunch time. This can't go into the season. It must get done.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                I thought I heard $220 million. 10 years is a lot for a full time catcher, but the Twins really don't have a choice in my opinion. Ortiz leaves, fine. Johan leaves, a little irritated, but fine. Mauer leaves, the lynching begins. Can't do it with the new stadium. No way, no how.

Why did this come out late last week and then fizzle again? It's getting down to crunch time. This can't go into the season. It must get done.
                It will get done, Mauer wants to be there, and the Twins want him there.

I'm guessing the reason it has fizzled is because one writer jumped the gun and now people are afraid of doing the same thing, so they are being cautious.

Comment

The number I was hearing was 10 year- 200 million, which would start AFTER this year.... but would have incentives that could bring it to 210-220 million (all-star appearances, MVP's, batting titles, PA's and so on)

Peter Gammons and others on MLB network said they had talked to teams who are prepared to go 5 years between 30-34 million a year for him if he was to go the free agent route.

Comment

Looks like it is a done deal. Eight years for $184 million

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      Looks like it is a done deal. Eight years for $184 million
                      Do ya'll remember 15 years ago or there abouts when Kirby Puckett became the first $3 million man per year. I believe it was an SI article that showed how long it took for the first million dollar contract per year to $2 million, then to $3 million. Of course A Rod's contract with Texas blew everything out of the water when it came to money. Looks like about $23 million a year for Joe Mauer. I also remember when Mark Pryor didn't want to sign with the Twinks so they drafted Mauer instead. Funny how that worked out for Pryor and the Cubbies.

Comment

I thought it was rather ironic that, on the day that Mauer signed the Star Tribune did a feature on laid-off workers trying to get back into the job market, usually at greatly reduced salaries.
                        I wonder how much below-the-surface resentment there is of this monster contract during a recession.
                        I know, I know, he's a hometown boy and he may be the best ever at his position when it's all over.
                        But Mauer will earn more in one day than the average household income in Minnesota.
                        Boiled down to actual game time, if he plays every single inning of every game he'll earn the national per capita household income approximately every four innings.
                        If he gets 550 at bats, he'll get just short of $42,000 per AB, which is more than most rookie teachers get in many states, more than some veteran teachers get in others, many of whom graduate in student-loan debt.
                        This is just unfathomanable math and makes one wonder about priorities. Let's hope Mauer starts a robust foundation for the least among us.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          I thought it was rather ironic that, on the day that Mauer signed the Star Tribune did a feature on laid-off workers trying to get back into the job market, usually at greatly reduced salaries.
                          I wonder how much below-the-surface resentment there is of this monster contract during a recession.
                          I know, I know, he's a hometown boy and he may be the best ever at his position when it's all over.
                          But Mauer will earn more in one day than the average household income in Minnesota.
                          Boiled down to actual game time, if he plays every single inning of every game he'll earn the national per capita household income approximately every four innings.
                          If he gets 550 at bats, he'll get just short of $42,000 per AB, which is more than most rookie teachers get in many states, more than some veteran teachers get in others, many of whom graduate in student-loan debt.
                          This is just unfathomanable math and makes one wonder about priorities. Let's hope Mauer starts a robust foundation for the least among us.
                          Few can do what he can do, so he get's paid for it.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            Few can do what he can do, so he get's paid for it.
                            I would also add that few people can make their employer the type of money he can. With things like jersey and ticket sales he makes a good amount of that yearly contract back. Imagine the financial impact on the Twins if Mauer had left the organization..
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to people. A-Rod has gotten TWO contracts bigger than the one Mauer just signed but since Mauer signed with the Twins instead of the Yankees it's a huge deal. And a couple years ago, the Red Sox payed some ungodly number just to TALK to someone from Japan.

Look I get it, he's making a ton of money to play a game but that is the way things are done in professional sports, especially baseball where there is not a salary cap. I wonder what the backlash would have been from people if he would have gone to the open market after this season and would have likely received 30 million a year from the Red Sox and Yankees

Comment

Working...
                              X