Swiftel to Expand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiftel to Expand?

Brookings city council voted 4-3 to move forward with a nearly 8 million dollar expansion of the Swiftel center. Plan would include a hotel on the campus. Contingent on finding a private developer to build a hotel.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Swiftel to Expand?

The plan to expand is a plan to add a bigger ballroom to the center and renovate the existing space into break out rooms to make the center a full fledged Convention center. The problem right now is that the Swiftel Center is essentially a banquet hall with an arena attached. The goal is proactive and future minded in design, by addressing some current deficiencies and trying to bring more people to Brookings by having more to offer.

The opponents ask "do we really need more hotels in Brookings?" The answer is not right now, but in a couple of years and with a new Convention center, "yes".

The city has made the investment in the Swiftel Center and like it or not - it's not going away. They can let it sit and 'get by' - but like the Sioux Falls Arena - they are foolish to not look ahead now, rather than wait 20 years and wonder why they waited so long.

The whole idea of expansion hinges on finding a developer willing to invest in the community and build a hotel attached to the Center. If that happens, this could still be referred to a vote - but there is a lot of support to look at this as an opportunity for economic development.

The last thing I would touch on, that opponents talk about is "well, it doesn't make money now - why should we put more into it?" Economic impact. I could argue that the Larson Ice Arena provides less of a return on our investment - but it is a great quality of life amenity to our community. They both bring many people into to town to eat, stay and shop - I would like to see it move forward. "Keep moving forward".

Comment

I'm guessing that means the city won't be investing in Phase II of the PAC any time soon.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The debt on the Swiftel Center is set to be retired in the next year or two - so the rationale is that they would extend that expenditure to pay off an addition to Swiftel. I know the city has a lot on their plates, but the city manager is pretty confident they can swing it. So, I don't think it means NO money for PAC phase II - but maybe not what the school is asking for.

I think the school asked for $1 million for the McCrory Gardens project and the city gave 1/4 Million. That should get legislative approval this year as the money is pretty much 'raised'.

Comment

Does the Swiftel Center make a "profit" for the city standing on its own? Doubtful.

Does it have a significant impact on money going to the city through taxes on food, booze, hotels, and everything else visitors spend while in Brookings? You better believe it!

There was plenty of contoversy when it went up but it is there and is a good facility and we need to maximize its capability.

To this day there are people that absolutely refuse to go into the Swiftel Center because they are so mad. Probably some of the same people that are still mad SDSU went D1.

The city of Brookings is growing and facilities such as the Swiftel Center are tremendous assets to the city. As a city, you are either growing, stagnant, or declining. I like where Brookings is headed.

It's a great place to call home!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The City of Brookings has always been a very good partner with SDSU. I want to make sure everybody understands that my comment wasn't intended to suggest otherwise. As a fan of the fine arts, I just hope the city is in a position to invest in Phase II of the PAC sooner rather than later.

Generally speaking, Brookings has some very forward-thinking leadership.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

A city owned building that sold it naming-rights to a city owned business. Gotta love government.

I am sure that the Swiftel Center folks would be able to find a developer that would love to build a hotel onto the Swiftel Center at the developers cost. Maybe just an option to look at so that Brookings residents don't have to see the city throw more money at it in times like these.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                A city owned building that sold it naming-rights to a city owned business. Gotta love government.

I am sure that the Swiftel Center folks would be able to find a developer that would love to build a hotel onto the Swiftel Center at the developers cost. Maybe just an option to look at so that Brookings residents don't have to see the city throw more money at it in times like these.
                Mayor Reed and other commissioners have very plainly stated that there will be no expansion without a hotelier putting up the money.

I agree with you on the naming of the facility. If someone else had an interest my guess is it would happen.

As for help with PAC and other things. I agree with JimmyJack that the city and university have been very good partners which is one of the things that fuels expansion for both entities. My guess is they will find money for the PAC but it may not be immediate.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The hotel would definitely come at the developer's expense - that is clear. There was some 'element' of the city council that wondered if the developer would be willing to invest in the expansion of the Swiftel Center - lowering the city's cost; I don't see that happening.

As our rivals to the north so often ask "is this really D1 quality"? I would say this would be a move closer to that for the entire city. In the past 5 years, I can count on one hand the number of FB teams that have stayed in Brookings for a game in Brookings - MAINLY because there isn't a facility with enough rooms to house them and the hotels are usually full of other alumni and fans.

The move to D1 is not only an SDSU issue. It is a Brookings issue and I believe Brookings is responding - this will be another step in the right direction.

Comment

Today's Register (Friday 2/5) - City Manager Jeff Weldon has begun talks with hotel developers that are/might be interested in the project. By no means does this signal that things are full steam ahead, but a good sign that there seems to be some interest.

He expects that conversations will take place for the next 4-6 weeks and he hopes that he will be able to come back to the city council in 6-8 weeks with progress.

Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!! (Go Brookings!!!!)

Comment

What do you bet these guys are the hotel developers in question?

Comment

It would be ironic if they (Regency Group) are. 10-12 years ago, they chose to forego Brookings, but a lot of things have changed in 10 years. I'm not sure they would want to partner with the city/Venuworks (who manages the Swiftel Center) as they are quite strong in full service properties in their own respect.

I do hope that some developers take a good look at it. It will definitely be critical to have someone that deems it a good investment - validation will come only when they are willing to invest their own capital. Time will tell ~

Comment

A lot -has- changed: 12 years ago the blue LED was barely on the market, SDSU was still D-2, and the Swiftel Center hadn't even blown over yet.

Comment

I'm coming around on this. My immediate reaction was "more money for the Swiftel Center?" But I think the caveat of finding a hotel developer and the discussion about the impact of the center on the local economy has made me think differently. The center is here, and it does make some sense to make sure it's a viable entity for the future.

In my case, it was just a priorities question anyway. I would have preferred that the PAC was funded first. But there are good arguments both ways. I'm sure the PAC will be revisited before long.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think by spending the money on the Swiftel development first, they payback in tax revenue will make it easier to fund things like the PAC in the future. The PAC will go a long way to improving the 'quality of life' standard for Brookings, but I'm not sure how much positive economic impact it would have for the city.

I remember when the Swiftel center was built I was speaking to a merchant in Mitchell. He told me he would much rather Mitchell had built a new multi-purpose facility like ours rather than have Cabellas. He said people come to town to shop at Cabellas & leave without visiting other stores, etc. The Swiftel Center has the opportunity to keep peaple around for a couple of days, with breaks between events to explore & do other things. It's been good for the city. With a Hotel attached, it will be better. Put some retail stores in the business development district where the State currently has their road maintenance shop, and there would be significant reasons for groups to bring their annual meetings to Brookings.

Comment

Working...
                              X