Favorite pro rassler of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite pro rassler of all time

Saw that TV got into a little of this on his chat last week so thought I'd transport over here.
    Who's your favorite pro wrestler, and why?
    Despite all the Upper Midwest favorites from the '60s and '70s (Haystack Calhoun, Nick Bockwinkle, etc., which, BTW, is where it all really started), a highlight was meeting Mankind... Mick Foley was one of the nicest, most engaging people.... and up close he had even a bigger slobbery everyman body that you could identify with in the ring. He was at a car show and he was wearing a plaid shirt, patterned tie and sweat pants with battered tennis shoes, and he was walking around with little kids following him.
    Truly a wrestler of the people.
    Last edited by NoVaJack; 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM.

Re: Favorite pro rassler of all time

Greatest thread ever!

I tend toward the late '80's genre of wrestling, especially the old NWA. Magnum TA, Ronnie "Hands of Stone" Garvin, the Freebirds were amongst my favorites. Some were also AWA wrestlers who migrated after it's collapse. All time favorites though had to be Hawk and Animal...The Road Warriors!
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      Greatest thread ever!

I tend toward the late '80's genre of wrestling, especially the old NWA. Magnum TA, Ronnie "Hands of Stone" Garvin, the Freebirds were amongst my favorites. Some were also AWA wrestlers who migrated after it's collapse. All time favorites though had to be Hawk and Animal...The Road Warriors!

Fabulous Freebirds were extremely athletic. Loved the Lynard Skynard background music when they entered the ring.... Didn't they have some momentous tag team matches with Jesse the Body and Adrian Adonis?

BTW, if no one has seen it, "The Wrestler" is one of the top 5 movies of the last five years IMHO and you don't have to be anything close to a rassling fan to appreciate Mickey Rourke. Just a great movie.

Comment

Well...its got be Hulk Hogan.

Back in the day (early 90's) I also was a fan of the Dingo Warrior and the Ultimate Warrior.

Also really like Mary Ginetti and Shawn Michaels (The Heartbreakers?)

Later on I really liked the Undertaker.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          Well...its got be Hulk Hogan.

Back in the day (early 90's) I also was a fan of the Dingo Warrior and the Ultimate Warrior.

Also really like Mary Ginetti and Shawn Michaels (The Heartbreakers?)

Later on I really liked the Undertaker.

Undertaker's eye thing was one of the great human body shticks ever.

Comment

George "The Animal" Steele and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
              George "The Animal" Steele and Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka

The former being an Everyman of brute strength but the latter being one of the most sniveling, conniving, underhadedly dastardly cheating villains of all time, IMHO.

Comment

Has no one heard of Wild Red Berry and Gorgeous George? GG had hair that went to the bottom of his neck, and bleach blonde. Awfully radical for when Kelo land came on the air in 1953 from American Legion Auditorium in Los Angeles. And of course the good and clean guy Vern Gonja from Minnesota. The wrestling was long after DD had done the weather show and all small kids were in bed. The funny part to me was that my dad a Norwegian immigrant had no interest in other sports but loved Pro Wrestling and Boxing. I got to stay up and keep him company watch wrestling that was so phoney, but some how real to my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  The former being an Everyman of brute strength but the latter being one of the most sniveling, conniving, underhadedly dastardly cheating villains of all time, IMHO.
                  I just remember him eating turnbuckles
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Not sure about favorite, but the scariest rassler was Doink the Clown!... because there is no greater fear of mine than being put in grappling hold by a muscular guy wearing a wig, face paint, and a permanent smile
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm going to give you all a list of guys I enjoyed watching. Some I enjoyed and some I enjoyed to hate.

Jerry Blackwell (from Stone Mountain,Georgia)
                      Andre the Giant
                      Hulk Hogan
                      Randy "The Macho Man" Savage (and Miss Elizabeth may she R.I.P.)
                      Jimmy the Superfly Snuka
                      The King Harley Race
                      Hacksaw Jim Dugan
                      Adrian Adonis

Comment

"Verne Gagne", "Sheik Adnan El-Kassie", "The Crusher" (loved when he came to the ring with a keg over his shoulder), Sgt. Slaughter, and of course, "Road Warriors, Hawk & Animal". Best announcer...Former AWA great, Eugene "Mean Gene" Okerlund.

Comment

Good Guy - Billy Robinson "The Man of a Thousand Holds"

Bad Guy - Pompero Firpo "The Wild Bull of the Pampas" He was banned from ALL-STAR WRESTLING. I assume that meant he took a better offer somewhere else.

Hapless Guy - George "Scrap Iron" Gadaski. He was also a referee.

Obviously it has been a long time since I paid attention to rasseling.
                          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

Hacksaw Dugan and his 2 by 4 were quite the potent weapon.

Comment

Baron von Raschke and Wahoo McDaniels.

Comment

Working...
                              X