• Show
Clear All

Re: So long, Captain 11

"A man with the power of Atlas . . . "

How did that entire intro go, anyway?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"One man in each century is given the power to control time . . .

The man chosen to receive this power is carefully selected . . .

He must be kind, he must be fair, he must be brave . . .

You have fulfilled these requirements, and we of the Outer Galaxies designate to you the Wisdom of Solomon and the Strength of Atlas . . .

YOU ARE CAPTAIN ELEVEN!!!!"
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Man, that control panel was so cool. All those switches and the rotating things. I am sure if you saw it today, it was just a piece of crap, but back then it was state of the art. Also, remember watching Dave and Gene Sherman from KVTV in Sioux City host the bowling show on Sunday afternoons. Farewell Captain 11...

Comment

Unfortunately, I was 14 years old when Capt came aboard, so was a skeptical teen ager and never bought into the time machine stuff, but I like Daves skills for TV namely the weather and also read his autobiography. Dave had problems with alchohol, but found recovery and for that he has my upmost respect. Grant Peterson and his Afternoon Smorgasboard had Dave and Doug Lund on his show a year two back and they really had a lot stories to share. Captain was impact for many people younger than I.

I remember he always would mention a certain Roger Anderson who was long term in the hospital for a burn recovery. I often wondered what happen that youngster and it neat that Dave mentioned him everyday on the show.

How many out there got to fire the time machine for Loonie Tunes? I did not, because I was as I said a skeptical teen ager watching a kids program. Its a little of parellel here as many of the posters are much younger than I.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Unfortunately, I was 14 years old when Capt came aboard, so was a skeptical teen ager and never bought into the time machine stuff, but I like Daves skills for TV namely the weather and also read his autobiography. Dave had problems with alchohol, but found recovery and for that he has my upmost respect. Grant Peterson and his Afternoon Smorgasboard had Dave and Doug Lund on his show a year two back and they really had a lot stories to share. Captain was impact for many people younger than I.

I remember he always would mention a certain Roger Anderson who was long term in the hospital for a burn recovery. I often wondered what happen that youngster and it neat that Dave mentioned him everyday on the show.

How many out there got to fire the time machine for Loonie Tunes? I did not, because I was as I said a skeptical teen ager watching a kids program. Its a little of parellel here as many of the posters are much younger than I.
            And, in a sense, you're a time machine for some of us . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Read about this and got tears in my eyes. Always like Captain 11 and when he did the weather. Much more interesting than Jay Trobek? or whoever does the weather now. Kinda could always tell when Dave had a little to much before the news but he always pulled it through. Will miss him.

Comment

One of my favorite birthdays growing up as a kid of the 70's in South Dakota was making the trip from Redfield with my friends to go to Captain 11 and spend the night at the HoJo's in Sioux Falls. (we LOVED the indoor/outdoor pool) Flipping the switch was great.

Comment

Unfortunately, I was 14 years old when Capt came aboard, so was a skeptical teen ager and never bought into the time machine stuff,.

What the h.... YOU MEAN IT'S NOT TRUE?

Captain 11 literally helped raise generations of South Dakota kids.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post

What the h.... YOU MEAN IT'S NOT TRUE?

Captain 11 literally helped raise generations of South Dakota kids.
                    Nope, and as Filbert stated I am a bit of a time machine so I should know.

Comment

The thing for me that was somewhat enlightening or maybe disheartening was finding out the weather man was Captain Eleven. That just didn't seem right.

Comment

My sister sent this to me today...

talk about flashback.

Comment

I often wondered what kind of material that uniform was made of. If it was wool, I often thought he could not get the show done fast enough. Another question, was the uniform ever updated between 1955 and the end? If it was updated, I would think the later ones would have been of a light fabric that would accommodate the heat from the bright lights. Another though,KELO probably had the air conditioner running full blast so maybe the uni was very comfortable. I never visited the studio so have no idea how our Captain survives these studio elements. I guess I need to dig out his autobiography and re-read it as Dave probably answered my questions

Comment

God's speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tj-exgv4k

Comment

I have been trying to find a video of the intro to Captain 11 on the internet. I wanted to have my own kids watch it. I think that it was Captain 11's fellow broadcaster Leo Hartig that spoke the immortal words which have already been quoted in this thread.

Can anybody provide me a link?
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                              X