Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisions on rivalry?

From GoJacks.com:
    "Due to strong early ticket sales approaching a near-capacity crowd, South Dakota State University Athletics is implementing a new student ticket protocol for the Feb. 15 women's basketball game against the University of South Dakota."

Still doubters about the appeal of a rivalry resumption out there?

Re: Revisions on rivalry?

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    From GoJacks.com:
    "Due to strong early ticket sales approaching a near-capacity crowd, South Dakota State University Athletics is implementing a new student ticket protocol for the Feb. 15 women's basketball game against the University of South Dakota."

If you mean to say we ought to start scheduling a semi-annual trip to Vermillion to play FB than I'm still a doubter.

I think things are resuming at about the rate they should, although I agree with AJ regarding the upcoming contest. USD is a fledgling DI team with nothing to lose and everything to gain. Jacks will be coming off what is likely to be a HUGE contest versus NDSU with great implications regarding post-season seeding and quite possibly a conference championship on the line. We will be expected to win and win big. Do I think our women will be up to the challenge? I do. Do we need to play this game to remain credible as a DI program? No way, anyone who believes that hasn't been paying attention.

So, its great for the fans of South Dakota and I'm excited. I wouldn't say I'm any more excited than I am for the Oakland doubleheader this weekend. Those who are more excited about the coyote game are likely casual fans. You have to have those as well.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I've been thinking about a clever nickname for The Rivalry . . .

You know, like the Bedlam Series for Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, or the Border War for Kansas-Mizzou.

But I'm not sure anything is better than just "The Rivalry." Sort of like "The Big Game" for Cal-Stanford. "The Rivalry" is very South Dakota . . . unpretentious, a bit understated, just very plain-spoken and direct.

Just musing (call it a Variation upon a Theme) . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think that right now folks are clamoring for tickets because it has been such a long period of time between games. I am not ready to say that the rivalry is "back on" just yet. USD is still in transition and trying to find their identity in DI. Until they have a couple recruiting classes in all sports that brings their level farther up these will still be novelty games to me.

Now, once USD is in the Summit for basketball and the games are actually meaningful for both sides, then we can start calling it "The Rivalry." In the grand scheme of things, this games means just about as much as the Minnesota State-Mankato exhibition game. I was going to compare it to one of our OOC regular season games, but I keep forgetting how good those teams were.

Beat Oakland, ORU, and NDSU. Those are the rivals right now.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I guess my attitude is a bit like the old saw "it only takes one side to make a war."

It only takes one side to make a rivalry. I'd say most USD fans think of SDSU as a rival in athletics. I'd say many if not most SDSU fans think of USD as a rival, too--if only a "once and future" rival.

Saying "it ain't a rivalry" don't make it so. Paradoxically, saying things like that actually intensifies the rivalry. It only takes one side . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I've been thinking about a clever nickname for The Rivalry . . .

You know, like the Bedlam Series for Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, or the Border War for Kansas-Mizzou.

But I'm not sure anything is better than just "The Rivalry." Sort of like "The Big Game" for Cal-Stanford. "The Rivalry" is very South Dakota . . . unpretentious, a bit understated, just very plain-spoken and direct.

Just musing (call it a Variation upon a Theme) . . .

How about "Badlands Bash?"

Comment

usd and und are not long term good things for the XDSU's. might be a quick jolt in interest ticketwise, but long term they will drag the other's down, mark my words.

Comment

I guess my attitude is a bit like the old saw "it only takes one side to make a war."

It only takes one side to make a rivalry. I'd say most USD fans think of SDSU as a rival in athletics. I'd say many if not most SDSU fans think of USD as a rival, too--if only a "once and future" rival.

Saying "it ain't a rivalry" don't make it so. Paradoxically, saying things like that actually intensifies the rivalry. It only takes one side . . .
                I would agree with this. But, I think that there are many out there that remember the "good ole days" of the rivalry. IMO, those days are further down the road.

My argument is mainly directed at the folks that would only come out to the games against USD and/or NDSU. Games against Oakland, ORU, and this year UMKC need to be attended just as well. OU and ORU especially are instant rivals because of their talent level.

Granted beating USD by 30 will be satisfying, but beating the top teams in the conference is much more gratifying for this Jacks fan.

Will the new saying be, "S**** the U and NDSU too?"

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I would agree with this. But, I think that there are many out there that remember the "good ole days" of the rivalry. IMO, those days are further down the road.

My argument is mainly directed at the folks that would only come out to the games against USD and/or NDSU. Games against Oakland, ORU, and this year UMKC need to be attended just as well. OU and ORU especially are instant rivals because of their talent level.

Granted beating USD by 30 will be satisfying, but beating the top teams in the conference is much more gratifying for this Jacks fan.

Will the new saying be, "S**** the U and NDSU too?"
                  How about "Screw the U and the Bison too?" (Notice I didn't say and A bison too)
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    How about "Screw the U and the Bison too?" (Notice I didn't say and A bison too)
                    That sounds much better.

Any chance that another old rival would be moving to DI anytime soon? I have a bunch of old shirts that I could take out of mothballs.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      From GoJacks.com:

Yes. Its been some time since we have played the U. So, interest is high. I recall going to USD / Jackrabbit women's games that may have drawn 500 fans at USD. If games in the future are not competetive the attendance will drop significantly.

USD needs SDSU far greater the the the Jacks need USD. We left them, they followed as usual.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                        Yes. Its been some time since we have played the U. So, interest is high. I recall going to USD / Jackrabbit women's games that may have drawn 500 fans at USD. If games in the future are not competetive the attendance will drop significantly.

USD needs SDSU far greater the the the Jacks need USD. We left them, they followed as usual.

GBGBGJ
                        I am not going to get into the "who needs who more" argument since I really don't think that either school "needs" one another.

I will agree, however, that a competitive series is an important aspect to the future of the rivalry. The heyday of the in-state match-ups were when the advantages that one school had over another were slim. I think that the newness of the renewal will carry fans for a couple years, but after that a good product is a must for both schools.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                          usd and und are not long term good things for the XDSU's. might be a quick jolt in interest ticketwise, but long term they will drag the other's down, mark my words.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm not sure anything is better than just "The Rivalry."
                            I think it's more than suitable. There are only five rivalry games older than SDSU/USD

Harvard v. Yale : 1875
                            Harvard v. Princeton : 1873
                            Yale v. Princeton : 1873
                            Lafayette v. Lehigh : 1884
                            Michigan v. Notre Dame : 1887

At least that's all I've been able to uncover.

However, the Lehigh-Lafayette game is also known as "The Rivalry"

Comment

I am not a casual fan as someone referred to a person who thinks that this is a rivalry. This will become the biggest game in the conference each and every year just by attendence. This game will be the talk of the weekend leading up and fro the rest of the week in the papers, blogs, and offices! And that is even after we win by 30pts.

I am not a USD fan at all, since middle school, but this win is as big as any this year because the bottom line is we just need to win the confernece tourney and it does not matter what our record is.

First rule: Be the best team in your own STATE and everything else will fall in line!

Of course the is from a so-called CASUAL FAN as someone put it!

Comment

Working...
                              X