Coach Stig at Yankton QB club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Stig at Yankton QB club

Coach will be at the Yankton QB club tomorrow, 12 noon, Masonic temple in Yankton. Meal provided. Attendance is always at its highest when SDSU coaches speak so come early for the best food. Get out and support SDSU if you can.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Coach Stig at Yankton QB club

Enjoyed seeing Coach Stig today. Main message, more money! He said they would like a new stadium and indoor practice facility in 5 years. Like being the operative word, in my estimation. Get your checkbooks out.

Recruiting, tough, perception is that he is behind. 4 commits, wish list is for 18, likely to get 15 or less. Did not expand on that. I think he said they have 12 or 13 scholarships.

Whittier and Mondol are gone and a RB left to play at Iowa State (my understanding that's Walker Woods).

21 seniors on next years roster. TOB will be the QB.

Nebraska game is on as planned, money is better than Minnesota or Iowa State.

Most of the time was spent talking about the success but ultimately the disappointment the team and fans experienced this year.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I wonder who the 4th commit is, currently we only know of 3.

Interesting to see that he says recruiting is going "tough" since he originally was quoted as saying that the playoff birth was making dividends and one would think would make it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        I wonder who the 4th commit is, currently we only know of 3.

Interesting to see that he says recruiting is going "tough" since he originally was quoted as saying that the playoff birth was making dividends and one would think would make it easier.
        I should clarify. He said it seems to have changed a bit. He is under the impression that a lot of kids are "jumping" at the first offer they get. Again, he didn't expand on that but I felt like he was saying that the Jacks weren't being given a chance with several recruits. He did say that he still hasn't met with a lot (no specific number) of guys the Jacks are interested in.

Comment

Whatever the case is, I'm still confident that the coaching staff will bring in another good recruiting class this year, and will look to adjust next season to how the recruiting process might be changing.

And to be fair, besides NDSU, the other Missouri Valley teams only have a hand full of recruits that have signed as well.
          Last edited by mitchell; 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Is it just me or is there a lot of concern in the read-between-the-lines on what Coach Stig said about recruiting?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Is it just me or is there a lot of concern in the read-between-the-lines on what Coach Stig said about recruiting?
              He looked concerned today. I must admit I wasn't too concerned and looked for some reassurance from Coach Stig, I don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling. Hey, I got better things to worry about though.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Ya Da I sense that tooooooooooo! I also sense Stig is trying to be truthful, though he has to be silent about specifics according to NCAA regs. Right now he can not say much, but the comment that some took the first offer, tells you a great deal about Gehard and the other guy going to NDSU. Maybe there was some SDSU interest after all. I hoping we get some Calif and Ariz recruits who can really play ball.

Comment

I say, enjoy your 1 year playoff run, this is scary to hear that he is going totally juco route, out of region, taking chances, etc.
                  this is the real reason I believe>>>>checking rivals/scout, I don't see much left in the 5 state region thats D1 caliber. I mean even NDSU got what, only 6-7 solid D1 recruits? the region is down this year I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                    I say, enjoy your 1 year playoff run, this is scary to hear that he is going totally juco route, out of region, taking chances, etc.
                    this is the real reason I believe>>>>checking rivals/scout, I don't see much left in the 5 state region thats D1 caliber. I mean even NDSU got what, only 6-7 solid D1 recruits? the region is down this year I guess.
                    Coach Stig has been quoted as saying the region was down this year and that it doesn't look good next year either. I think Iowa was really down this year. UNI has only signed 7 players so far, 4 within the region.

As far as enjoying our 1 year playoff run I would disagree. We have a legit shot at playoffs the next couple years and than who knows after that. Lasts years recruiting class was special and I still believe that good kids will be coming in this season as well. .

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                      juco route, out of region

Yeah. Danny Batten and Saunders Montague were such total flameouts

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Yeah. Danny Batten and Saunders Montague were such total flameouts
                        Let's not forget last years out of region starters:

AZ Jimmy Rogers
                        AZ Isaiah Jackson
                        CA Generall Parnell
                        GA Cole Brodie
                        MO Rodkem Matthews
                        TX Anthony Wise

I do understand what CC is saying though, you'd rather get your recruits from around the region but SDSU has had success going outside the midwest.

This year we've been recruiting in Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Wyoming, Arizona & California. We should end up with a good geographic mix of recruits come february.

I have a feeling there are a good deal of kids who have been told that they will be receiving an offer this weekend during their official visit.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                          Let's not forget last years out of region starters:

AZ Jimmy Rogers
                          AZ Isaiah Jackson
                          CA Generall Parnell
                          GA Cole Brodie
                          MO Rodkem Matthews
                          TX Anthony Wise

I do understand what CC is saying though, you'd rather get your recruits from around the region but SDSU has had success going outside the midwest.

This year we've been recruiting in Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Wyoming, Arizona & California. We should end up with a good geographic mix of recruits come february.

I have a feeling there are a good deal of kids who have been told that they will be receiving an offer this weekend during their official visit.
                          Recruiting has been odd this year..... the region has been down, NDSU went out early and locked up a few, I don't have a problem with JuCo's.... if they can play, and go to class and are eligible, that is good enough for me.... Everyone would love to have a team made up of local kids who are outstanding students and individuals in general but it just isn't possible....

Comment

i was just pointing out the obvious, isnt many D1 kids in this region this year, and NDSU might have gotten the 5-6 that Minn/Iowa etc, missed or didnt like their dimensions. Juco can work, nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Dissapointing to hear that Walker Woods is leaving for Iowa State. I guess its a good sign that we are losing kids to FBS schools in that we obviously have some talent on the roster, but its sucks losing guys before we ever see what they can do on the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X