Commits for 2010.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commits for 2010.

a seroius question here, I was banned for couple weeks, so I didnt get into the conversation. but after the playoff run, has there been a bonfide answer from stig, coaches on why only 2 commits? I know the fans in here aren't worried, NOR SHOULD THEY BE, I think it doesnt matter myself.But has there been an answer on this situation after the playoff berth from stig, coaches. thanks!

Re: Commits for 2010.

I don't think there has been a direct answer other than they are not about to jump out and offer scholarships without getting to know a kid just because someone else has a high count of commits.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Its January already so I don't know if the "jump after other kids before we know them" makes much sense..... I think what it is and I could be wrong is with a low number of scholarships (11) what they are planning on giving out.... no real big holes.... and a solid class that red shirted this year.... that the coaches are gonna hold out and try to get big time recruits that for whatever reason were left holding nothing when all of the BCS schools left....

Comment

Yes joe but they were playing past Thanksgiving basically only giving them 3 weeks to go out and do what they do. SDSU is not an early committ school and doesn't have the staff to have coaches out during the season.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          Its January already so I don't know if the "jump after other kids before we know them" makes much sense..... I think what it is and I could be wrong is with a low number of scholarships (11) what they are planning on giving out.... no real big holes.... and a solid class that red shirted this year.... that the coaches are gonna hold out and try to get big time recruits that for whatever reason were left holding nothing when all of the BCS schools left....
          I like that line of thinking...get the most bang for the buck....makes sense, hope there's something left though.Of course, kids who were looking at having to pay thier own way through school , might be more appreciative of a scholarship from SDSU , & show thier appreciation by playing the best they possibly can.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            Yes joe but they were playing past Thanksgiving basically only giving them 3 weeks to go out and do what they do. SDSU is not an early committ school and doesn't have the staff to have coaches out during the season.
            I've wondered about this, that SDSU doesn't necessarily have the staffing to do as much recruiting during the season. These coaches are probably more concerned on making sure they win that week, and if they win than it should help get recruits later on.

Comment

I guess I never really heard in the past too much regarding out of state recruits until the signing day. I guess we have to be patient (but we all know how patient we are).
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Cole Brodie was a late recruit, so was Moala, Humphries, and Parker-Washington... I think we'll be fine, especially with a dozen scholarships available.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

I may be speculating a little hear, because none of us really know for sure, but after the Montana game, the only offer that SDSU had was to Sumner. It is tough to get commitments when you don't offer athletes either. Maybe there was an offer to the JC player that recently committed to SDSU. But SDSU did not have a lot of offers and therefore you can't expect many verbals either.

Also I think SDSU is looking at prospects that are borderline FCS-FBS. If the prospect does not get a FBS scholarship offer and only gets a preferred walk-on offer, then maybe he will accept an FCS offer. In today's economy, people are not just letting their kids walk-on hoping to get a scholarship down the road, when they can get a full ride at an FCS school. This is why I think it is wise to wait on these types of prospects.

Go State!!!
                  Go Jacks!!!
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

ok. sounds good, you got 30 days, it'll happen no doubt. whens the no contact period end? Jan 10?

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                      I may be speculating a little hear, because none of us really know for sure, but after the Montana game, the only offer that SDSU had was to Sumner. It is tough to get commitments when you don't offer athletes either. Maybe there was an offer to the JC player that recently committed to SDSU. But SDSU did not have a lot of offers and therefore you can't expect many verbals either.

Also I think SDSU is looking at prospects that are borderline FCS-FBS. If the prospect does not get a FBS scholarship offer and only gets a preferred walk-on offer, then maybe he will accept an FCS offer. In today's economy, people are not just letting their kids walk-on hoping to get a scholarship down the road, when they can get a full ride at an FCS school. This is why I think it is wise to wait on these types of prospects.

Go State!!!
                      Go Jacks!!!
                      Remembering that FCS schools can split up their scholarships-I would think that many first year players would come in on a partial scholarship and not a full ride unless they are a blue chip athlete or a position which is at high need at the time for the school. For example- lets say there are 10 full ride scholarships available- a couple of kids are given 50% full ride there would still be 9 fulls remaining. I would think it would be tough to give a full ride to a player that has not proven one thing on the college football field. And I believe that scholarship is pretty much guaranteed for 5 years if the first year is redshirted.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                        ok. sounds good, you got 30 days, it'll happen no doubt. whens the no contact period end? Jan 10?
                        I doubt CCD is getting his shorts in a knot over a "perceived" concern about our recruiting, but maybe this will help out on his question (I don't know when the "no contact" date is, and don't care, but am sure the coaches have that covered):

From Terry V's blog on New Year's Day: "Probably the two most important weeks are coming up for SDSU. It'll host nearly 40 kids in four separate cycles in a span of nine days beginning Jan. 16. With just two verbals to this point, common sense says that most of the eventual signees will be on campus during that stretch.

"While the Jacks continue to scour the junior college ranks for offensive linemen, and are believed to have two pretty solid leads, but the most likely positions to gain players for the spring semester are defensive line (the Juco from Kansas), quarterback and cornerback.

"It seems that SDSU has zero scholarship offers out in South Dakota at this time (other than the one that Brandon Valley QB Austin Sumner has accepted). However, there are a few kids - maybe three - that the staff has warmed to based on very strong senior development. At this point, they're candidates to be priority walk-ons or small-scholarship guys."

Comment

My take on how SDSU has gone about recruiting this year:

During the season and right after, they're making a list of players they like based on camps, video and scouting services.

December they go out and make their visits to these players homes, talk with their coaches, & probably stumble upon some new kids during the process.

January, after the "dead period" they bring these kids in for a visit. They show them what SDSU has to offer and if the two sides like what they see an offer is made. Some kids along the way might get tired of waiting for SDSU to offer and will go elsewhere, but at the same time, those kids probably weren't that interested in playing for SDSU.

Also along the way coaches start adding to the list recruits for next year. If some of these kids really stick out, (Sumner, Wegher) they extend an early offer.

These coming weeks in January, SDSU will start offering the players that they've had their eyes on. Many of them probably have already been told that we are preparing to offer them, but won't until they come up and visit.

Comment

I have to say that I am disappointed in coach Stig. He says that he wants to be South Dakota's team but he's not doing a very good job of bringing in our own South Dakota boys. I know our state doesn't produce the top talent compared to other states, but come on you have to keep some of your own.
                            I am disappointed that we aren't getting the Jelsma kid who wanted to come here but wasn't given an offer. If we only come out of this years class with Sumner as the only SD kid I will be very disappointed. We need to get kids like DeCurtins, Tunge, Kirby to Brookings whether through schollies or walk on's. These are the type of kids that are the "blue collar" kids that this team needs.
                            I would rather give a blue collar kid like Kirby or DeCurtins a scholarship than some kid from Cali or Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by lakecojack View Post
                              I have to say that I am disappointed in coach Stig. He says that he wants to be South Dakota's team but he's not doing a very good job of bringing in our own South Dakota boys. I know our state doesn't produce the top talent compared to other states, but come on you have to keep some of your own.
                              I am disappointed that we aren't getting the Jelsma kid who wanted to come here but wasn't given an offer. If we only come out of this years class with Sumner as the only SD kid I will be very disappointed. We need to get kids like DeCurtins, Tunge, Kirby to Brookings whether through schollies or walk on's. These are the type of kids that are the "blue collar" kids that this team needs.
                              I would rather give a blue collar kid like Kirby or DeCurtins a scholarship than some kid from Cali or Arizona
                              With all due respect you do not understand FBS or FCS recruiting then.

Comment

Working...
                              X