• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I laugh at the Gophers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Yeah. You try and keep a straight face.

Re: Why I laugh at the Gophers

Notice that nothing happened before the Bowl game though. Nice loss in a craptacular bowl game against Iowa State. I did hear comments on KFAN this week about Maturi and the "bringing stability" line. Nothing like stability when the team is bad.

Seriously, why do they play a bowl game with two 6-6 teams. Financially no one gains. Costs the schools money to go play, the sponsor can't be making a dime, and it wasn't even widely available for viewing...it was on the NFL network. That's a whole 'nother discussion I could have in regards to the stupidity of having 30+ bowl games and allowing half of the FBS schools in to play.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      Notice that nothing happened before the Bowl game though. Nice loss in a craptacular bowl game against Iowa State. I did hear comments on KFAN this week about Maturi and the "bringing stability" line. Nothing like stability when the team is bad.

Seriously, why do they play a bowl game with two 6-6 teams. Financially no one gains. Costs the schools money to go play, the sponsor can't be making a dime, and it wasn't even widely available for viewing...it was on the NFL network. That's a whole 'nother discussion I could have in regards to the stupidity of having 30+ bowl games and allowing half of the FBS schools in to play.
      If its being played, somebody is making money.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

That reminds me of an old BC, or maybe a Wizard of Id.

Anyway, a guy's requesting a permit to hold a rock concert, and he's asked, "Who's going to clean up afterwards" and he says, "the promoters"

Comment

I wonder if he will still be getting that extension? Maybe Maturi was hoping he would get what should have been a bowl win to make it easier for the fanbase to stomach.

The guy is about as dumb as a head coach can be. Mason leaves him a great power rushing offensive scheme but he wants to run the trendy spread(not a surprise since he is all about recruiting). After two years of running and recruiting for the spread he realizes you need to be able to run the ball in the Big 10 and switches to an offense that is more traditional and fires his OC against the will of Maturi.

And now the Gophers have the worst offense in the Big 10 and things probably won't get better next year.

Brewster has no bowls wins, no wins in Minnesota's four trophy games(Michigan, PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin..he is 0-9), a 6-18 Big 10 record, and an overall record of 14-24.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            Seriously, why do they play a bowl game with two 6-6 teams. .

Three reasons:
            1. Recruiting.
            2. So they can recruit better players
            3. Did I say recruiting?

I know this will probably start a fecal storm, but the anti-Brewsterism on this board surprises me.

Minnesota finished in the middle of a pretty decent FB conference, had a better-than-average defense, and is not that far removed from a 1-10 season in which they even lost to North Dakota State, for crying out loud. Their offense went south when arguably the best big receiver in the country, and a guy who may be playing all-star games in Hawaii someday, suffered a season-ending injury. So give poor Brewster some props, at least.

The Gophers were better in their conference than the Bison were in ours, and the Bison are keeping their coach. Why no similar anti-Bohl wonderment over why the Bizon's HC is keeping HIS job?

Minnesota also beat three bowl teams and nearly beat a fourth, Wisconsin. Two of those teams have already played and won bowl games.

Given the choice of playing in a bowl game or not playing in bowl game, even if it's the Inconsequence-ThrowAwayRazor Bowl in Nowhereseville, New Mexico, what college player would not want the opportunity? Unless, of course, you're Notre Dame and certain bowl games are beneath you.

Finally, our Jacks were awfully good this year and they lost to the Gophers. That should count for something.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Three reasons:
              1. Recruiting.
              2. So they can recruit better players
              3. Did I say recruiting?

I know this will probably start a fecal storm, but the anti-Brewsterism on this board surprises me.

Minnesota finished in the middle of a pretty decent FB conference, had a better-than-average defense, and is not that far removed from a 1-10 season in which they even lost to North Dakota State, for crying out loud. Their offense went south when arguably the best big receiver in the country, and a guy who may be playing all-star games in Hawaii someday, suffered a season-ending injury. So give poor Brewster some props, at least.

The Gophers were better in their conference than the Bison were in ours, and the Bison are keeping their coach. Why no similar anti-Bohl wonderment over why the Bizon's HC is keeping HIS job?

Minnesota also beat three bowl teams and nearly beat a fourth, Wisconsin. Two of those teams have already played and won bowl games.

Given the choice of playing in a bowl game or not playing in bowl game, even if it's the Inconsequence-ThrowAwayRazor Bowl in Nowhereseville, New Mexico, what college player would not want the opportunity? Unless, of course, you're Notre Dame and certain bowl games are beneath you.

Finally, our Jacks were awfully good this year and they lost to the Gophers. That should count for something.
              Did you really just compare Brewster to Bohl? Bohl has won big games @Montana, @Minnesota, SIU, @Central Michigan. His record at NDSU is also 52-25. Brewster has 24 losses in three years. Despite that Bohl is very much on the hot seat, Brewster should be fired.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                I wonder if he will still be getting that extension? Maybe Maturi was hoping he would get what should have been a bowl win to make it easier for the fanbase to stomach.

The guy is about as dumb as a head coach can be. Mason leaves him a great power rushing offensive scheme but he wants to run the trendy spread(not a surprise since he is all about recruiting). After two years of running and recruiting for the spread he realizes you need to be able to run the ball in the Big 10 and switches to an offense that is more traditional and fires his OC against the will of Maturi.

And now the Gophers have the worst offense in the Big 10 and things probably won't get better next year.

Brewster has no bowls wins, no wins in Minnesota's four trophy games(Michigan, PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin..he is 0-9), a 6-18 Big 10 record, and an overall record of 14-24.

Substitute "Bohl" for "Brewster"; "MVC" for "Big 10"; "South Dakota State, Southern Illinois and University of Northern Iowa" for "Michigan, PSU, Iowa, Wisconsin," and you've made a heck of a hometown argument.

Comment

Did you really just compare Brewster to Bohl? Bohl has won big games @Montana, @Minnesota, SIU, @Central Michigan. His record at NDSU is also 52-25. Brewster has 24 losses in three years. Despite that Bohl is very much on the hot seat, Brewster should be fired.

Yeah, I did.

Comment

Yeah, I did.
                    Might be the most idiotic take I have ever read and I have read a lot of lakesbison posts.

Comment

Might be the most idiotic take I have ever read and I have read a lot of lakesbison posts.
                      You're dumbing down your hyperbole. You gotta stop reading Lakes.

Fact: Brewster has won 13 games the last two years with teams largely recruited by his predecessor. He has taken two successive teams to bowl games.
                      Fact: Bohl has won 9 games in the last two years with teams he recruited. I will grant you last year's SIU win if you'll give Brewster at least a smidgin' of credit for Purdue and Northwestern this year. But Wagner and Central Connecticut State? C'mon

What's idiotic - you're word - is coming on an opponents' board to trash a third-party team's coach. Must be a slow day on Bisonville.

Comment

You're dumbing down your hyperbole. You gotta stop reading Lakes.

Fact: Brewster has won 13 games the last two years with teams largely recruited by his predecessor. He has taken two successive teams to bowl games.
                        Fact: Bohl has won 9 games in the last two years with teams he recruited. I will grant you last year's SIU win if you'll give Brewster at least a smidgin' of credit for Purdue and Northwestern this year. But Wagner and Central Connecticut State? C'mon

What's idiotic - you're word - is coming on an opponents' board to trash a third-party team's coach. Must be a slow day on Bisonville.
                        Bohl has been the coach at NDSU since 2003. He took over a 2-8 team and went 8-3 beating Montana in his first season. That proves he can take a terrible team and make it better. Brew just made the bad team he took over even worse.

In year five Bohl was 10-1, that team was pretty much his. He developed every player on that team and recruited about 95% of that team. He is 9-13 with completely his own talent I'll give you that, but his past success wasn't built solely on the talent of his predecessor not even close.

SIU was a playoff team and won the MVFC title when Bohl beat them. That win is not comparable to beating Purdue or Northwestern, try Ohio State or Penn State. You do realize Purdue was 5-7 this year? I guess Northwestern is at least decent, but they are the Illinois State of the Big 10.

Considering I am a Minnesota fan, and grew up watching them I will comment freely on their program on any board.

I do see what you are attempting to do. But Bohl has been here for 7 years, it has always been his system and he is 52-25. You said he should be fired if Brew is. It made no sense, unless you bend facts in way that makes all his past success irrelevant and only focus on his past two seasons.

Comment

Well, I guess that first I would have to say that the in game decisions that I have seen are the reason the two cannot be compared. Brewster has screwed his team on more than a couple of occasions with dumb clock management and other coaching decisions. I don't recall Bohl have such a consistent record of doing that.

But the most important reason why the two shouldn't be compared is one is at NDSU and the other Minnesota.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            Well, I guess that first I would have to say that the in game decisions that I have seen are the reason the two cannot be compared. Brewster has screwed his team on more than a couple of occasions with dumb clock management and other coaching decisions. I don't recall Bohl have such a consistent record of doing that.

But the most important reason why the two shouldn't be compared is one is at NDSU and the other Minnesota.
                            That is also true. I don't think Brew and Bohl are really comparable on any level other than both of their teams have struggled as of late.

Comment

That is also true. I don't think Brew and Bohl are really comparable on any level other than both of their teams have struggled as of late.

Yeah, no comparison. One's had a better '08 and '09 than the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X