• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dean of Ag/Bio named

From the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...&story_id=6982

SDSU alum named ag dean

Dr. Barry Dunn, an agricultural academic administrator with South Dakota ties, has been named dean of the College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences at South Dakota State University. The announcement was made this morning to the college's faculty and to university personnel.

Dunn's appointment takes effect May 22, 2010. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: New Dean of Ag/Bio named

Great move by the University! I am not sure if everyone knows what is going on in this college. It has been a mess for several years and it needs a Dean like Dr. Barry Dunn to get things cleaned up. The College of Ag & Bio next to the athletic department is the face of a Land Grant University. Again, great move!
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
      Great move by the University! I am not sure if everyone knows what is going on in this college. It has been a mess for several years and it needs a Dean like Dr. Barry Dunn to get things cleaned up. The College of Ag & Bio next to the athletic department is the face of a Land Grant University. Again, great move!
      I have never met Dr Dunn, but he appears to have an impressive resume and appears to have leadership skills needed to lead the College of Ag & Bio. If you have read two of the histories of SDSU written by Kramer and the other escapes me, even though I had him for Econ History of USA, help me out Grizzled Jack,you know who I am referring too, At any rate, both authors documented a number of controversies and problems in the College of Ag particularily because of federal funding that has been received since day one and conflicts between the office of president and the dean. People have gotten ambitious and egotistic and end up putting the good of the institution in last place. In the mid 1950's things were really messed up and thanks to HM Briggs, they were quickly resolved when he came on board as the President.

You need good leadership in both the College of Ag and in the president and when these two are on different pages, all sort of problems develope. I think we can assume that President Chicoine made his choice here and lets hope a good working relationship will follow in good results for SDSU and the College of Ag and Bio.

Comment

In athletic recruiting terms, this is a huge get! Dr. Dunn is very well known and, more importantly, very well respected.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

From AgriMarketing.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
          X