Be Smart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be Smart!

Big time storm headed this way. If the weather experts are right, travel is going to be extremely dangerous. Don't take chances if you don't have to. It might be hard for families not to get together but there's another Christmas in 2010.

Yesterday, while driving on a slick I29, I was passed at three different times by young people who were texting. Too many people think they are bullet proof.

Live for another Christmas.

Re: Be Smart!

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
    Big time storm headed this way. If the weather experts are right, travel is going to be extremely dangerous. Don't take chances if you don't have to. It might be hard for families not to get together but there's another Christmas in 2010.

Yesterday, while driving on a slick I29, I was passed at three different times by young people who were texting. Too many people think they are bullet proof.

Live for another Christmas.
    Yep, stuck in MT for Christmas. First Christmas I haven't been home in my life....little tough on mom, but doesn't do any good to die trying to get home either.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Yep, stuck in MT for Christmas. First Christmas I haven't been home in my life....little tough on mom, but doesn't do any good to die trying to get home either.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!
      Same here, no travel for me either. My parents pretty much told me to get a clue when I asked them if I should still try to come. Not worth the risk - live to see another holiday.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Well, no one should be on I-29 for a while. The entire stretch is closed in SD until further notice. I-90 is also closed between Chamberlain and Sioux Falls, with more possibly closed as the storm develops. We are expecting the storm to hit the Fargo area tonight or early tomorrow morning, with a total of 1 to 2 feet of snow expected by Saturday morning.

Stay home and stay safe. If you must travel, make sure you have warm clothing and emergency supplies.

Comment

City of Sioux Falls about 15 minutes ago:

THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS STREET DEPARTMENT IS BUSY KEEPING THE EMERGENCY SNOW ROUTES CLEAR AND IT IS CURRENTLY UNKNOWN WHEN THEY WILL BE ABLE TO BEGIN PLOWING SIDE STREETS. SECONDARY STREETS IN ZONES 1, 2, AND 3 ARE BECOMING IMPASSABLE, ESPECIALLY IN OUTLYING AREAS. THE SIOUX FALLS POLICE DEPARTMENT IS ISSUING A TRAVEL ADVISORY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. NO TRAVEL IS ADVISED WITHIN THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS EXCEPT IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS UNTIL THE STORM PASSES AND THE STREETS CAN BE CLEARED.

Our street is looking bad and it is a secondary snow route (gets cleared first after the emergency routes). Saw a full size pick-up drive by and the drift in the street was nearly level with its hood, but it got through. Drift in our driveway is at least 6 ft at its highest and 4 ft deep for a good 12 ft run before it tapers off. A Taurus is in there somewhere. But you can see the pavement at the end of the driveway and portions of the sidewalk.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            City of Sioux Falls about 15 minutes ago:

THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS STREET DEPARTMENT IS BUSY KEEPING THE EMERGENCY SNOW ROUTES CLEAR AND IT IS CURRENTLY UNKNOWN WHEN THEY WILL BE ABLE TO BEGIN PLOWING SIDE STREETS. SECONDARY STREETS IN ZONES 1, 2, AND 3 ARE BECOMING IMPASSABLE, ESPECIALLY IN OUTLYING AREAS. THE SIOUX FALLS POLICE DEPARTMENT IS ISSUING A TRAVEL ADVISORY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. NO TRAVEL IS ADVISED WITHIN THE CITY OF SIOUX FALLS EXCEPT IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS UNTIL THE STORM PASSES AND THE STREETS CAN BE CLEARED.

Our street is looking bad and it is a secondary snow route (gets cleared first after the emergency routes). Saw a full size pick-up drive by and the drift in the street was nearly level with its hood, but it got through. Drift in our driveway is at least 6 ft at its highest and 4 ft deep for a good 12 ft run before it tapers off. A Taurus is in there somewhere. But you can see the pavement at the end of the driveway and portions of the sidewalk.
            ]]

Isn't it really cool how a storm can put all of the snow from your whole yard right in your driveway?
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              Well, no one should be on I-29 for a while. The entire stretch is closed in SD until further notice. I-90 is also closed between Chamberlain and Sioux Falls, with more possibly closed as the storm develops. We are expecting the storm to hit the Fargo area tonight or early tomorrow morning, with a total of 1 to 2 feet of snow expected by Saturday morning.

Stay home and stay safe. If you must travel, make sure you have warm clothing and emergency supplies.
              Hammer being a guest in your fair state during this holiday, I heard several hours ago that I-29 is closed all the way to the Canadian border. This is a bad one. Going west ON I-94 its not closed but they given up trying to plow until this all passes through. A trip to Fergus Falls aka Fungus Falls is not going to happen. This is the Daddy of them all, and I dont mean the Cheyenne Wyoming Frontier Days, this is a big blizzard.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Hammer being a guest in your fair state during this holiday, I heard several hours ago that I-29 is closed all the way to the Canadian border. This is a bad one. Going west ON I-94 its not closed but they given up trying to plow until this all passes through. A trip to Fergus Falls aka Fungus Falls is not going to happen. This is the Daddy of them all, and I dont mean the Cheyenne Wyoming Frontier Days, this is a big blizzard.
                Yep, they pretty much shut down Fargo today. We're about to enter the lull that just passed Sioux Falls, but we'll get smacked again later tonight. I've thought about shoveling out and trying to get to Sherlock Holmes about two blocks away, but I'll probably wait until tomorrow afternoon. Time to get caught up on Bones and Mythbuster reruns.

Comment

Actually we didn't get hit too bad in Fergus Falls. The streets were plowed when I was out at 7:30 this morning. After the plow makes a circle in our cul-de-sac, most of the snow from the circle ends up blocking my driveway, so I had to blow out a ridge about 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep, plus a little more for the mailman to get to the box. Not sure what I-94 was like between here and Fargo. My son decided against making the trip from Fargo. I'm sure he and Nidaros both made the right call there.
                  An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                  US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

It is starting to improve out here in the northern Black Hills. My street has been plowed and I see on other internet sites that I-90 is open between Sturgis and Ellsworth Air Force Base. It's still pretty windy and some very light snow flying around. I'm not sure if it is coming from the clouds or the wind blowing it out of the trees.

The snow stayed nice and fluffy and blows easily. If only it weren't deeper than my snowblower is tall!
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Just took a yardstick outside:

about 19" in downtown Sioux Falls

Comment

Working...
                      X