Pay for Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay for Coaches

It has been noted several times on this board that SDSU needs to pay its coaches more money. Well, for the second year in a row, it appears that all state employees may not see a pay increase, coaches included. It's the tough reality of our current economic situation.

Re: Pay for Coaches

I realize the budget is tight, but denying state employees pay raises (disclaimer, I'm a state employee) is really hard on families and two consecutive years with no raise means people, including coaches, will start to leave the state for better opportunities elsewhere.

It might not sound like a big deal to forego a raise for a couple of years, but for a state employee making $50,000 (about what our highest paid assistants make), that lack of a 3 percent raise for two years means more than $60,000 of lost income over 20 years.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

JimmyJack, I appreciate what you are saying. The reason for my post is that I read so many comments about the need to pay coaches, especially assistant coaches, more money. Well, the money isn't there. And if the state isn't able to give salary increases to state highway workers in Buffalo County, the SDSU coaches ought to be in the same boat. A real fear is an across the board cutting of jobs. That is when families will really be hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I realize the budget is tight, but denying state employees pay raises (disclaimer, I'm a state employee) is really hard on families and two consecutive years with no raise means people, including coaches, will start to leave the state for better opportunities elsewhere.

It might not sound like a big deal to forego a raise for a couple of years, but for a state employee making $50,000 (about what our highest paid assistants make), that lack of a 3 percent raise for two years means more than $60,000 of lost income over 20 years.
        I agree these freezes are tough on a lot of folks besides the employee drawing a salary. I dont see it a hardship for me but because of the CPI is zero, SS recipents and being a Retired Fed employee, I get zero increases in January. In fact my BC/BS premuims goes up and that same thing is probably whats going to happen to our state employees including coaches. Not only are they denied a raise, but their disposal income will decrease.

Comment

There are many folks that will not be getting raises this year.

I think that we all can be thankful that we can complain about not getting raises and not complaing about how hard it is to find a job.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It is clear that the tough economy has hurt tax receipts, which hurts money for state/fed projects and paying the people that deserve an increase in pay.

On the flip side, a strong majority of people will look for greener pastures when you are spinning wheels or losing money by staying. As a result, if/when coaches leave - the coaches need to be replaced. That costs money. While the pay may be less for a new coach than the previous one, the cost of hiring a coach or employee must be paid for. The costs for advertising, evaluating candidates, interviewing, travel, possibly moving expenses all add up and will cost more than even giving a modest pay increase to the entire coaching staff.

Cowbell's points are valid and if there is no more tax receipts to pay for it, jobs must be cut and that is extremely tough for those employees. Lets face it - a tough economy sucks for everyone. What makes it really difficult for state/fed employees is that when the economy is good, tax payers still don't like to see tax dollars going for healthy raises for public employees. So it makes it difficult to grow the coaches pay to where it needs to be.

Guess I need to be thankful for that coal that will be in my Christmas stocking.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              There are many folks that will not be getting raises this year.

I think that we all can be thankful that we can complain about not getting raises and not complaing about how hard it is to find a job.
              Amen.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

OK.... I'm going to try not to get angry because I understand your argument....

but first of all, state employees receive great benefits that have not been cut or reduced, second most are salary base (including all the coaches) and are not losing hours like many other workers who were lucky enough to keep their jobs and 3rd I think the state has a lot more important issues then to give the football coaches a 3% raise a year....

In all truth the assistant coaches make as much as most non-tenured professors make at the state colleges.......

I do agree though that SOME of the coaches probably deserve some sort of a raise, however if you look at most programs you see coaches coming and going quite frequently..... Generally you have your Head coach, a coordinator and maybe 1 or 2 other coaches that make up the core and the rest come and go.....

Comment

May have been posted elsewhere, but SDSU is advertising for two more coaches. Wide recievers and quarterbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    May have been posted elsewhere, but SDSU is advertising for two more coaches. Wide recievers and quarterbacks.
                    Is Josh Davis returning for the Jacks next fall?

Comment

I think the athletic dept could address this directly, and in this manner. Put a 1 dollar surcharge on all non-student tickets, pay coaches revenue sharing bonuses from that extra dollar. If it's a bonus not a base salary I do not belive the State would have to match retirement dollars ect.. then the raise would not be a salary increase. And likely the coaches pay would be directly tied to performance. (do well.. more ppl show up.)
                      Just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                        Is Josh Davis returning for the Jacks next fall?
                        Was Josh an "emergency hire"? Could be they are advertising just to be compliant with regs regarding posting of jobs.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          Was Josh an "emergency hire"? Could be they are advertising just to be compliant with regs regarding posting of jobs.
                          I don't know but he works well with the WR's and hope he stays with us. 1Wr coach with 12 or 13 Wr's is tough to handle.

Comment

I'm sure Josh is a candidate for the job. I hope he gets it.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              I'm sure Josh is a candidate for the job. I hope he gets it.
                              If Josh is working well with everyone, its a slam dunk if its Stig's call, but I suspect, too as Catchem said they have to go through the ad process, which I suppose has its pros an cons. I am pulling for Josh too. He is a product of Stig's program and a good one. I have a faint recollection from over on the D2 football message, board at the time he signed with SDSU and even living in Nebraska, I had not heard much about him, but recall a few posters tell me that SDSU was getting a very football player, and they were right. One of them was not Coyote Fan, but he did post on D2Football too, so we go bak a long ways.
                              I suppose what is unknown at this time is the candidacy of Mr. Davis for the job. I hope he does not have other plans.

Comment

Working...
                              X