Argus Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Online

Is anyone else noticing a significant increase in popup advertising on the Argus website? I am not a frequent visitor to the Argus website (maybe every two days) but I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks, there has been an increase in popup ads that require one to find the "Continue Reading" button somewhere on the screen so that you can move on to the article.

I've thought the Argus site has been cumbersome on a good day but now it is consistently in the "frustrating" category.

I know the news industry is grappling with how to live with the internet -- news organizations depend on advertising to fund the editorial side. If news organizations have to give it away, they won't be in business. In an effort to present news supported by advertising revenue, newspapers can't lose focus on readers. Well, the Argus lost focus on at least one today: I quit. (I'm no big loss for the Argus but I wonder if others are tired of their method of advertising...)

Re: Argus Online

I've noticed it also, but unless they move to a subscription basis for their online content, I am not sure how else they are going to be able to pay for it. People don't buy the paper version anymore, and on-line ads are going to be used to pay for on-line version. Just wondering, how much would everyone be willing to pay to have the on-line content without the ads?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      I've noticed it also, but unless they move to a subscription basis for their online content, I am not sure how else they are going to be able to pay for it. People don't buy the paper version anymore, and on-line ads are going to be used to pay for on-line version. Just wondering, how much would everyone be willing to pay to have the on-line content without the ads?
      The problem is that nobody on Earth today knows how to make money in the news business in the Internet age--with the possible exception of Rupert Murdoch, and all of his outlets (Fox, WSJ, etc,) are having the same problems with free access vs. paywalls that everybody else is.

If you want to continue to get free info, you have to put up with ads, or with subscription-based content access (either traditional, or the much-talked-about micro-fee kind that nobody knows how to implement right now, either).

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch--TANSTAAFL.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If you think the on-line ads are annoying you should pick up a print copy. I get a paper every morning and I throw away a handfull of ads right away. Then when I go to read the paper it is hard to find the articles because there are so many ads.

Before you say anything, I buy the paper because you can't take your desktop computer to the "reading room".

Comment

Sounds like you need a laptop.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            The problem is that nobody on Earth today knows how to make money in the news business in the Internet age--with the possible exception of Rupert Murdoch, and all of his outlets (Fox, WSJ, etc,) are having the same problems with free access vs. paywalls that everybody else is.

If you want to continue to get free info, you have to put up with ads, or with subscription-based content access (either traditional, or the much-talked-about micro-fee kind that nobody knows how to implement right now, either).

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch--TANSTAAFL.
            I agree and I have some empathy for the news organizations and outlets. My undergrad degree is in journalism and I have family in the newspaper business. I have concluded that I'm not willing to put up with the ads pushed on the Argus site so I'll quit going to it...its more a time management question for me. I get my national and international news elsewhere and my hometown paper is doing a pretty good job covering local news (that's going to be the salvation of the small daily papers: increasing coverage of local stuff).

I guess I felt like griping about something this morning.

Comment

I can deal with pop ups and continue reading pages, but what irks me is when they have expanding ads so the on page content is constantly moving around making it difficult to get your mouse on a link and click.

I'll keep reading, simply because the content TV provides is so good, but I'm not reading much else on the site. Although comments on some of the politically charged articles are a hoot.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

In addition to expanding adds, I hate it when they have video that automatically plays so you can't hear what ever else it was you were listening to.

The Star Trib started charging to have access to most of the Vikings material on line. I believe it is $25.00 and from what I have heard, it has been deemed a success. My guess is you will see that next year for the Twins also. Not sure if I would pay that much, but more likely for Twins than Vikings. I do think I would pay $25.00 to have the Argus Sports sections without pop ups, continue to article, expanding ads, etc.

Comment

Tough to make money in the newspaper business on subscriptions, either with hardcopy version or on line version, when the same content can be gotten for free elsewhere. The answer IMHO is to have a product with some exclusivity. Something that is not readily available elsewhere.

In the case of the Argus, I stopped subscribing when it started hearing "Voices". That seems to be when the journalism dropped off in favor of user comments, blogs, user photos, etc. Newspaper publishers should learn that they cannot compete head-to-head with TV and Internet on the same content. They should focus on a niche not well served by other media. I think their sports department may serve as an example.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                  X