Madrigal Singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madrigal Singers

My wife and I attended the Madrigal Singers' performance and dinner-show at the Lincoln Music Hall this evening. It was outstanding!

I had not been in that building since it was a library!

Re: Madrigal Singers

I had never heard of the Madrigal Singers, so I looked up some youtube videos.

Not really my cup-o-tea, but they have incredible voices nonetheless.

Glad you had a good time.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      My wife and I attended the Madrigal Singers' performance and dinner-show at the Lincoln Music Hall this evening. It was outstanding!

I had not been in that building since it was a library!
      Also, is the Lincoln Music Hall in Watertown or are you on a vacation of sorts?
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Come on, Rowdy, JD lives in Wasserstadt, as you know quite well--one of the larger suburbs of Brookings.

(We had to call Watertown Wasserstadt when I was in high school taking German . . . well, we didn't have to . . . )
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
          Also, is the Lincoln Music Hall in Watertown or are you on a vacation of sorts?
          Boy you are really throwing all us old farts on here in the dumpster with that question. Lincoln was once a very important building in student life as was Pugsley Union across the street. Do you know where Sylvan Theater is or did you never go east or South of Ag Hall? . I am surprised Rowdy. Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Boy you are really throwing all us old farts on here in the dumpster with that question. Lincoln was once a very important building in student life as was Pugsley Union across the street. Do you know where Sylvan Theater is or did you never go east or South of Ag Hall? . I am surprised Rowdy. Have a good day.
            Ha! My apologies, for sure!

Now's probably a good time to remind "you old farts" that I am not and SDSU alum. so there's minimal chances I would have known that. Still, I've lived in or near Brookings for 24 of my 28 years (2 in Watertown while attending Lake Area Tech, and 2 in Twin Cities fresh out of LATI), and my wife teaches at SDSU, so it's a little embarrassing I screwed that up!

On the bright side, I do know where Sylvan Theatre is.

Comment

Ha! My apologies, for sure!

Now's probably a good time to remind "you old farts" that I am not and SDSU alum. so there's minimal chances I would have known that. Still, I've lived in or near Brookings for 24 of my 28 years (2 in Watertown while attending Lake Area Tech, and 2 in Twin Cities fresh out of LATI), and my wife teaches at SDSU, so it's a little embarrassing I screwed that up!

On the bright side, I do know where Sylvan Theatre is.
              Apologies accepted, I was having a little fun, but Medary used to have a lot life in the 1940-1980's. Once the Briggs library, New Student Union and a Rotunda were built, it changed student traffic considerablly and where Lincoln is located, that area became a ghost town. There were about 7 businesses on Medary where the Foundation building are and some located across the street. They are all gone now, but that is progress. BTW I think you are young enough to still become an alum if it fits. I did not know you were not an alum.

Comment

My wife also noted (and laughed at me) that she spent many many many many hours of her 6 years (2000-2005) on campus in Lincoln Music Hall.

Hehehe. Whoopsie Daisies.

Comment

...Not really my cup-o-tea, but they have incredible voices nonetheless....
                  Sometimes one has to step outside their comfort zone, Rowdy. Try it, you may surprise yourself! I noted Jackrabbit athletes were counted among the outstanding performers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Sometimes one has to step outside their comfort zone, Rowdy. Try it, you may surprise yourself! I noted Jackrabbit athletes were counted among the outstanding performers.
                    Ok, I'll admit it...the only youtube videos I found were of PHILLIPINE Madrigal Singers.

SDSU's version would probably be more to my liking.

Comment

The SDSU Madrigal Singers have a dinner show scheduled in Pierre on 12/10. The registration is still available on the Alumni Site. Its a benefit for a childrens choir, I think

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Apologies accepted, I was having a little fun, but Medary used to have a lot life in the 1940-1980's. Once the Briggs library, New Student Union and a Rotunda were built, it changed student traffic considerablly and where Lincoln is located, that area became a ghost town. There were about 7 businesses on Medary where the Foundation building are and some located across the street. They are all gone now, but that is progress.
                        I remember being a grad student in Pugsley Hall 10 years ago and making runs across the street to Mad Jacks... the best subs in Brookings, by far! My favs were the "Pope Pleaser" and the French Dip.

And who could forget the Campus Bar? Or the Hobo House???
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                          I remember being a grad student in Pugsley Hall 10 years ago and making runs across the street to Mad Jacks... the best subs in Brookings, by far! My favs were the "Pope Pleaser" and the French Dip.

And who could forget the Campus Bar? Or the Hobo House???
                          These places did not exist even in the late 1960's. Brookings was strictly a 3.2 town and and the thought of alchohol being sold near campus was unheard of. The places that were before were Rollie Cafe, (Rollie May) Austin's Dairy Creme, Dale and Vi's Pizza, Campus Pharmacy and a few others all either food serving and sundry supplies like you would find in a convenience store today.

Eastmen's Hall where the Tompkins Alumni Center is now, was an aging stucco with ivy covered mens dorm, packed to capacity. That along with the Women's dorms up the street on Medary, you had a lot of pedestrian traffic on Medary. Can You believe the City Of Brookings even installed parking meters on Medary between 8th and 9th street. I think the vendors probably encouraged it as people would park on Medary and go to Lincoln Library or class, making it impossible for potential customers who want to make a stop for a meal.

After the City Of Brookings approved off and on sale liquor licenses a great deal changed and that was about the time 3 M came to Brookings. The city leadership finally saw the light and decided if they wanted economic development, they could not keep this squeeky clean image of no beer on Sunday's and 3.2 beer. My recall gets rather runned together, I am not sure I am correct in my recall, but that what I best recall. Grizzled Jack could probably jump in here and add something, but this is digression at its best.

Comment

Dale and Vi's was still open in my freshman (72-73) and, I think, sophomore years. Godfathers opened in about 74 where Bravo's Restaurant is located.

To the north of Dale and Vi's pizza (I think there was small insurance agency in there too) was the famous "yellow house" which, in some years, was painted white but still was known as the yellow house. Constant parties.

Comment

Working...
                            X