Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Hills State and SD Tech to move up?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Hills State and SD Tech to move up?!?!

I was directed to this link... do you think SDSU's plans to become more visible in the hills is a reason both schools are considering a jump to NCAA D-II?

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/spor...cc4c002e0.html
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Black Hills State and SD Tech to move up?!?!

No, I think both schools want to play at a higher level. I would hope they play in the RMC rather then NSIC. How many more teams is the NSIC going to have?

Comment

Both schools have very nice facilities and both have community and alumni support (financially $$) for their athletic programs. S.D. Tech is a top ranked engineering school nationwide and BHSU is a top teachers school in the region. I think they fit the profile to be Division II.

Comment

The #1 reason is conference.....

The DAC is down to 8 schools 1 school has already announced that they are leaving and everyone is expecting Jamestown to do the same... (either go D-II or slide into the GPAC)

Comment

Would guess the interest in moving up is driven by the fear that the DAC will collapse. With no conference affiliation life gets tough because BH and Mines are fairly isolated geographically. Moving up could be a stretch though. Both the RMAC and NSIC have a significant geographic footprint and both schools would be at the far edge of either conference. Travel expenses could be an issue.

Can't let the comment on Mines being a top ranked engineering school set. Would you rank them with MIT, Stanford, Cal Berkely, GA Tech, U of Ill, Carnagie Mellon, U of MIch, Cornell, U of Minn, Iowa State? I've seen measures that put Mines below SDSU.
          Last edited by Prairiehaas; 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM. Reason: Incomplete
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I don't think SDSU going D1 has anything to do with it.
            NAIA is folding up like a tent.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              The #1 reason is conference.....

The DAC is down to 8 schools 1 school has already announced that they are leaving and everyone is expecting Jamestown to do the same... (either go D-II or slide into the GPAC)
              I think with the DAC falling apart, DSU would be a more logical fit for the GPAC with the departure of USF

Comment

GPAC would never take DSU... You have to be a Christian school to be a member of the GPAC and DSU is a state school.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I would agree with most of the post about BHSU and Tech having their own considerations.

I think back to the days of living in Nebraska. It seemed like only on game days did most of the people including adminstrators at the other state assisted schools, think Lincoln Nebaska, otherwise they were pretty much occupied with their own problems. SDSU has to do much more than win 8 football games in order to preoccupy the adminstrative mines at SDTech and BHSU. I think the admin people at these schools will feel really threaten, the day we talk the BOR into giving the appropriation for BHSU to SDSU. Now that would get them going, otherwise no.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Can't let the comment on Mines being a top ranked engineering school set. Would you rank them with MIT, Stanford, Cal Berkely, GA Tech, U of Ill, Carnagie Mellon, U of MIch, Cornell, U of Minn, Iowa State? I've seen measures that put Mines below SDSU.
                    Thank you...while the SD School of Mines is a great school it is far from the schools you mentioned.

Comment

I agree that Mines is a good school. I work with engineers and Mines grads compare well with SDSU, NDSU, CSU, etc. grads.

I myself though believe that a student that takes many classes in the north end of Shepard receives a better education than one that takes most classes in Crothers
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Were I work at, my last two department supervisors were Mines graduates. Plus there are about another three or four Mines graduates here. I and two other people are SDSU grads. There are a couple NDSU people here too.

Comment

Working...
                        X