QB arguments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB arguments

Since I am not very far removed from the program I have been reading up on this site and listening to alot of people complain about the QB play this year. I think it is real interesting that we call ourselves family, alumni, fans, etc and then always say two different things. We love our QBs when they play well and hate them when we lose. Pick a side and stick with it.

How about many on here stating that they played QB (talked about after Minnesota) and they are sick and tired of O'Brien staring at one WR (or even Crawford in every game he started). Well if you played QB and read a defense, dont you typically read one defender for 2 WRs to throw the ball too. So it seems your eyes stay in the same spot all the time. Just a thought.

Also how about the statements after both games (Minnesota/Montana) we need a QB coach or how I bet Don Bailey wishes he were here now or Luke Meadows really needed Don yesterday. Our QB coach this year took two new guys with no experience and they led us to the best record in 10 years, our first playoff in 30 years, and statistcally the best year in efficiency, passing yards, completion percentage, and winning percentage of any first year starting QB in the last ten years (look up the stats, I did). What is wrong with the guy we have? He didnt call plays, he didnt control the offense, he just coached the QBs. Do we think he isnt capable becuase he was the TE/RB coach for the previous 3 seasons?

Did anyone complain about play calling last year? Becuase Luke called them last year also not Bailey. Or did he seem that much better because we had a fifth year senior at QB instead of a freshman (or Crawford at the beginning). When was the last time a freshman started the majority of the games at SDSU, let alone finish second in the conference in passing efficiency and lead the team to the playoffs. We called for O;brien to be the guy after Youngstown and Southern Illinois and now think he is the worst QB on the team.

Pick a side and stick with it. I know I will.

Re: QB arguments

Excellent first post.

Comment

Thank you!!!!!

Comment

Fantastic way to debut on the board, cheap seat.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Great first post

Comment

Originally posted by from the cheap seats View Post
            Since I am not very far removed from the program I have been reading up on this site and listening to alot of people complain about the QB play this year. I think it is real interesting that we call ourselves family, alumni, fans, etc and then always say two different things. We love our QBs when they play well and hate them when we lose. Pick a side and stick with it.

How about many on here stating that they played QB (talked about after Minnesota) and they are sick and tired of O'Brien staring at one WR (or even Crawford in every game he started). Well if you played QB and read a defense, dont you typically read one defender for 2 WRs to throw the ball too. So it seems your eyes stay in the same spot all the time. Just a thought.

Also how about the statements after both games (Minnesota/Montana) we need a QB coach or how I bet Don Bailey wishes he were here now or Luke Meadows really needed Don yesterday. Our QB coach this year took two new guys with no experience and they led us to the best record in 10 years, our first playoff in 30 years, and statistcally the best year in efficiency, passing yards, completion percentage, and winning percentage of any first year starting QB in the last ten years (look up the stats, I did). What is wrong with the guy we have? He didnt call plays, he didnt control the offense, he just coached the QBs. Do we think he isnt capable becuase he was the TE/RB coach for the previous 3 seasons?

Did anyone complain about play calling last year? Becuase Luke called them last year also not Bailey. Or did he seem that much better because we had a fifth year senior at QB instead of a freshman (or Crawford at the beginning). When was the last time a freshman started the majority of the games at SDSU, let alone finish second in the conference in passing efficiency and lead the team to the playoffs. We called for O;brien to be the guy after Youngstown and Southern Illinois and now think he is the worst QB on the team.

Well I am not so sure this is a great post, but obviously its coming from some one on the staff or closely related to the staff. I am sure its tough to read some of these posts, including mine. I really would like to move on, but I also feel in a sincere way that Don Bailey departure just before fall camp had an impact. Maybe this impact was not as obvious during the season when we were winning, but at least to me in both the Minnesota/Montana games, the 3 and out offense tells you that something was out of hand and exactly who was responsible is hard to determine from the Section F Row 17 and seat 3 in the stands at CAS. Please I am using my reserve seat as figure of speech. I realize both Minn/MT were road games. I will as a few others have said let Coach Stig and the admin and determine what went wrong and if certain resources if available would have made a different outcome in both games.

If Coach Stig did not approach me every time with a big smile, extended hand and a big thank you, it would be a lot easier to be super critical. I do think he does need more resources and staff and who and what we now have did a great job for nearly all of the season. If you read TV blogs, we all know about that and what a low dollar budget we have compared to our fellow MVFC members.

I guess in the final analysis I still come down on the side of Coach Stig staff. Since Stig was a staff member of Coach Daly in 1993, this past Saturday has to really hurt as the results were almost a re-run of 1993.

I am going to continue my monthly electronic transfers to the SDSU Foundation for scholarships and two acorn endowments. I have not funded them as I would like to, because of the current recession and also holding personal credit card debt, but these problems are not a life time and as soon as I can my contributions will pick up.

We all got a job to do to help the Jacks continue in their march to a national championship.

Comment

Wow. Thanks cheap seats. I agree completely. One ugly loss doesn't undermine all that the coaches and players have accomplished in moving this program up the ladder.

We'll be fine. There are a lot of great young players on this team.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here's some more truth. I for one have been dissapointed with the play calling since about game 4. Our conservative play calling was fine for our first 3 games, but from then on it got all too obvious. We go long every blue moon and run the crap out of the ball. Where is Aaron Rollins by the way? I'd leave if I was him. What a joke. Could we have been anymore predictable in the second half of the game. NO. They new when we would run which in turn screwed over the o-line then the QB and RB and then the coaches screwed over the defense. Then we're down and we ask TOB to work a miracle because. For O'Brien haters of course they new he was going to throw the last minute. He did is best I'm sure. Can't put this one on TOB- not a chance. Lastly, I think craw got the shaft on the play calling against Southern as well. The most predictable offense got exposed saturday which was partly due to the worst defensive performance- maybe ever.

Comment

I'm not pinning this on TOB or any of the players...and besides, no one was claiming any performance issues until near the end of the 3rd qtr correct? I'll leave it at that. I still will say some of the coaching mistakes were unacceptable and I'm pretty sure most of the coaches think/know it's fair to say it was unacceptable. If they say it is acceptable to lose in that fashion than there is a problem.
                  I'm a TOB supporter because he was our starting QB. However, I do think that once again going into Spring Camp the job will be wide open. I think Whittier and TOB were so close that the coaches chose TOB because they could still redshirt Whittier. Just my opinion.
                  Also I agree the offense kicked a little tail last year with Berry...and play calling was not conservative..so to say Meadows is conservative is a cop out. Sometimes the coaches know things we don't and just don't say it because they know players have to learn and grow. TOB is RFr come on! Berry had his bumps and bruises and will anyone say that he was not a great QB?
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by from the cheap seats View Post
                    for Curiosity's sake what side are you going with?

I'm Down with may the BEST man win philosophy, and that can change from year to year.. I do Believe our coaching staff prescribes to this theory as well.
                    Not doing this is what got Green Bay into the situation they are in today.

I went to school for engineering not coaching, but as a human sometimes (right or wrong) I question the decisions of others. I'll leave the coaching to the coaches.

In the heat of a game I may question some play calling, but I tell you overall I have total faith in Coach Stig. He is as I am, only human, and we all strive for perfection.. only one man in recorded history has achieved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Section F Row 17 and seat 3 in the stands at CAS.
                      Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I am going to continue my monthly electronic transfers to the SDSU Foundation for scholarships and two acorn endowments. I have not funded them as I would like to, because of the current recession and also holding personal credit card debt, but these problems are not a life time and as soon as I can my contributions will pick up.

We all got a job to do to help the Jacks continue in their march to a national championship.
                      If I can remeber Next year I will try to come and shake you hand! :hands:<-- Smiley didn't work

Comment

I have criticized the offensive play calling this year on numerous occasions and will not apologize for that. I have and will continue, however, to give praise when it is warranted and always try to keep an even keel when speaking (typing) evaluations of players'/coaches' performance. Anyone who feels they are above criticism obviously has too high of an opinion of themselves... and should be criticized for it!

It is important to remember that it is the job of the coaches to keep the majority of the fans happy, not the job of the fans to keep the coaches happy.

P.S. I do like our coaches and think they did a good job overall, but there is definitely room for improvement and I have confidence that our coaches will work just as hard as our players to better themselves in the off season.
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        As far as TOB is concerned, I think he'll be just fine and have been supportive of him the entire season, but I won't sit there and say he played well when he did not (i.e. Minnesota). I fully expect him to learn from the experience he received this year and I have a good feeling that he may hold every career passing record at SDSU when he is done.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Tough loooooooooooooooooooooooss. Simply brings out the negative in people. No one on this board dislikes anyone on the team or staff. But we do have the right to question.

Coach Stig is the man. He and his staff teach much more than simply football. Each and every player on this team is a better person for having played for Stig. I think the Jacks fans are very fortunate to have Stig in our program.

I woke up the next day and took nourishment. We all deal with our set backs differently. In my case it was large quantities of spirits.

Great season gentlemen.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I do think we need a full-time O-Cordinator though.... The offense was very simple and some of that had to do with a new QB and no true #1 reciever but at the same time it was very very predictable....

The problems I had with the offense and I had the same problems with the wins and the losses were these

1. Tyrel Kool- the guy was amazing on special teams, Coach Stig talked him up all off season and yet he only gets in on a handful of offensive plays and gets less then 5 carries a game at max...

2. passing game.... It didn't matter who was at QB it seemed like we ran way to many 3-8 yard out routes....

3. TE usage.... it seemed like the coaching staff didn't want to use the middle of the field all year....

4. The running back situation.... it seemed like it was 3 Minnett, 1 Duffy all year, No Kool, and it didn't seem to matter if it was an important down or a goal line down Duffy would stay in if it was his turn....

Those are the problems I had..... I back TOB 100% I like his arm, I think hes a leader, and it seems that the players respect him..... I think the core of the staff is fine but I do think we either need to get a full-time O-Cordinator or have who ever is calling the plays do that full time and get a replacement for the line...

Comment

Were we saying these things at the end of last season. The offensive coordinator did not change and technically the person who is the offensive coordinator was the co-coordinator for three years before that. There were new players, I believe the coaches who see the kids everyday know their abilities directed the playbook accordingly.

Let the rampage begin.

Comment

Working...
                              X