2010 the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 the season

Here is my best guess at depth chart for next year.... and other thoughts.....

QB- Thomas O'Brien
    RB- Minnett, Kool, Duffy
    WR- Rollin, Tieffentaller, Gant
    TE- Cochert, Kavanagh, and Daughters (could also see some time in the slot)

The line I Have no clue so someone will have to help me

Defense
    DE- Antonio Thompson
    DE- Jake Steffen
    DT- Mau Lefiti (guess)
    DT-

LB- Dirk Kool
    LB- Matt Lein
    LB- Derek Domino

DB's- Kjeerstad, Wise, Brodie, Wagner/Bo Helm, Jeske, Parnell

I think the defense could be better next year, especially with coverage.... The offense I think is a toss up again, the line will be younger but could be better, hopefully Tyrel Kool will see a little more time in the back field and either Tiefentaller becomes the number 1 receiver or we bring in a JuCo guy who can fit that mold

feel free to debate a possition or add to the list

Re: 2010 the season

Is Matthews (Parnell's replacement) out of the mix at the other corner? He is a sophomore and hopefully gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
      Is Matthews (Parnell's replacement) out of the mix at the other corner? He is a sophomore and hopefully gets better.
      I presume he'd have to beat out Cole Brodie, which would be a tall order. Brodie is one of the best athletes on the team.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Here is my best guess at depth chart for next year.... and other thoughts.....

QB- Thomas O'Brien
        RB- Minnett, Kool, Duffy
        WR- Rollin, Tieffentaller, Gant
        TE- Cochert, Kavanagh, and Daughters (could also see some time in the slot)

The line I Have no clue so someone will have to help me

Defense
        DE- Antonio Thompson
        DE- Jake Steffen
        DT- Mau Lefiti (guess)
        DT-

LB- Dirk Kool
        LB- Matt Lein
        LB- Derek Domino

DB's- Kjeerstad, Wise, Brodie, Wagner/Bo Helm, Jeske, Parnell

I think the defense could be better next year, especially with coverage.... The offense I think is a toss up again, the line will be younger but could be better, hopefully Tyrel Kool will see a little more time in the back field and either Tiefentaller becomes the number 1 receiver or we bring in a JuCo guy who can fit that mold

feel free to debate a possition or add to the list
        I like O'Brien, I like O'Brien, I like O'Brien........ I am going to say that until I believe it. Just may take awhile. We need our QB to at minimum be a threat to run. Otherwise defending the Jacks offense is just to simple. He also needs to learn how to put the ball away. To many fumbles when being hit. Take care of the ball, take care of the ball, take care of the ball. Coaching staff needs to say that to O'Brien until he believes it.

Great season Jacks and I thank you for the excitement.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I presume he'd have to beat out Cole Brodie, which would be a tall order. Brodie is one of the best athletes on the team.
          Obviously Brodie isn't coming off the field. I just noticed Matthews was listed anywhere in that long list of DB's.

Comment

who redshirted this season? Aren't there a couple of potential impact DEs and OL in that group?

Comment

Every Freshman redshirted this past season and there were a large number of walk-ons this year that are with the team. I dont think it is because none of the freshman were not good enough to play but rather we have that much depth so we did not need them.

Here are my depth chart predictions for next year

QB- Thomas Obrien (got experience as a freshman)
              Mike Whittier ( best QB last spring, hope he does not transfer)
              Lee Mondol
              Dustin Lotzer (Hopefully is a pleasant suprise this spring)

RB- Kyle Minnett ( body getting beat but he is a beast)
              Duffy/Kool ( Duffy does his job, about it) (Kool is talented and fast)
              Dominique Clare (have not seen a lot of because he missed all spring due to injury)
              Walker Woods/Mason Winterboer
              TE- Colin Cochart (has been solid throughout the past 3 years)
              Seth Daughters (Tall and athletic)
              Vince Bennedetto
              FB- Kyle Sheehan/Alex Beyer (These two split time this past season at the second tight end and fullback position)
              WR- Aaron Rollins (Big play ability, not blazing fast but will catch about anything and everything)
              Brad Iverson (tall body, reminds me of mike steffen)
              Matt Hylland ( Has stepped in at times and made plays)
              Justin Mitchell ( Fast, fumbled at times last spring)
              Brandon Gant ( I dont know what happened to him??)
              Teddy Shonka (led spring game in catches 2 years ago, but has been sidelined since)
              Dan Schmidt (another tall body)

OL (a little scary!!)
              LT - Bryan Witzman (tall, could replace knips)
              Tyler Luethe
              LG - Jake Ludemann
              Alex Olinger
              C - Ryan Mcknight (all conference)
              Will Castle
              RG - Zach Buchner
              Alex Parker
              RT - Jon Fick
              Josh KAge

Defense

Safety

SS- Anothony Wise/Corey Jeske (split time pretty much all season)
              Eric Komoos
              FS- Conrad Kjerstad
              Skyler Luxa
              Bo Helm
              CB1-Cole Brodie
              Rodkem Matthews (got experience for an injured parnell)
              Pat Brown
              CB2-General Parnell (hope he recovers fast)
              Julian Wagner
              Josh Jones
              (Tyrel Kool can also play corner)

Sam Linebacker - Derek Domino
              Erich Feller
              RC Kilgore/Kyle Van Voorst
              Mike Linebacker - Dirk Kool
              Ross Shafrath
              Jake Weiss
              Will Linebacker - Mike Lien
              Chris Tracy
              Doug Pete
              LE - Jake Steffen (good switch to end)
              Jared Crumly
              Mao Lefiti
              Malik Humpfries
              RE - Antonio Thompson
              Eric Wood
              Gianni Washington
              DT- Ross Basham
              Brian Fischer
              Andy Mink
              Simote Moala
              Josiah Fitzsimmons
              Chase Douglas

We will have a lot of depth once again!! o line will need to figure things out and we should be set.

Comment

Chase Douglass was pushing for playing time this year before he was injured in fall camp so I'd guess he is in the mix on the defensive line. Terry has said good things about some of the offensive lineman recruits (Parker & Kage if I remember correctly). Eric Koehlmoos should also push for time in the secondary.

Comment

Accurate Depth Chart (returning starters in CAPS)

QB - SO OBRIEN / RFR Whittier
                  HB - SR MINETT / SR Duffy
                  TE - SR BEYER / SR Sheehan
                  TE - SR COCHART / JR Kavanagh
                  RT - SO Luethje / RFR Witzmann - RFR Parker
                  RG - SO Castle / SR Ludemann
                  C - SR MCKNIGHT / Jr Castle
                  LG - JR Buchner / SO Olinger
                  LT - SO FICK / RFR Witzmann - RFR Parker
                  WR - SO Rollins / SR Hylland
                  WR - JR Gant / RFR Tiefenthaler

DE - JR STEFFEN / JR Wood
                  DT - SR BASHAM / SO Mink - RFR Moala
                  DT - SR FISCHER / SO Fitzsimmons - RFR Douglas
                  DE - SR THOMPSON / SR Crumley
                  LB - SR DOMINO / SO Shafrath
                  MLB SO Tracy / JR Lien
                  LB - JR Feller / JR Kool
                  CB - SR BRODIE / JR Matthews
                  CB - SR PARNELL / SO Wagner
                  FS - JR WISE / SR Jeske
                  SS - SR KJERSTAD / SO Helm - Luxa - Koehlmoos

P - PRIDDY
                  K - HARRIS/REIFENRATH

6 Returners on Offense
                  8/9 Returners on Defense

This team still returns excellent players (Minett, Domino, Steffen, Kjerstad, McKnight) and will have good depth. The biggest ?? is the O-Line but we have heard great things about the underclassmen. This team will be good enough to compete with SIU for the conference title next year. We don't need to worry about the WR's, not only will they be good but could be even more of a deep threat than this years group.
                  Last edited by mitchell; 11-29-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Buchner will not be starting. I think that Castle will be starting and i believe he is a sophomore.

Comment

I think Reciever is the biggest question..... Could anybody see Daughters maybe playing a little in the slot? he is tall, has good speed and is athletic?

The problem with this years team I saw at reciever was that we had 4 of the same type of reciever, and although they were all good none of them had that Jaron Harris #1 type of speed to spread the offense....

Other then Rollin though I don't know what to expect out of the position. Terry has said good things about Tiefentaller and maybe they could line Tyrel Kool at the position but it seems wide open. Yeah Shonka and Gant could be good but is there a reason they never saw the field this year?

As far as the offense I think they need to open things up a bit next year in the air which should open things up for Minnett, the first half of the Montana game they had respect for the air game which opened up the run.... I don't care who you are its hard to run when teams put 9 men in the box..... Tyrel Kool NEEDS to get some playing time on offense, the guy is too dynamic to see the little playing time he gets....

I think the defense could be better then this year, the big guys we lose are Batten and Rogers but we replace them with Thompson and Kool.....

One thing I'd like to see a little more out of the Jacks is substitutions during the same drive on defense. I know its hard to do at times and a lot of coaches like to have a guy in on a certain set or something but I'd like to see them run in and out especially with the secondary it seems that we are pretty deep there and they shine at times but it seems like they wear down....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I Yeah Shonka and Gant could be good but is there a reason they never saw the field this year?
                        Could be the coach stig philosophy of given two players of more or less equal talent he'll start the seinor player....

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          Could be the coach stig philosophy of given two players of more or less equal talent he'll start the seinor player....
                          could be? I really don't know, some schools really rotate in and out the recievers but SDSU isn't one of those so I don't know if there was a reason (if they were hurt, or they weren't that good) or not.....

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Or since we had 3 senior wide outs graduating, he thought ahead and red shirted one?
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'm not hearing good things about Whittier's plans. Three different players have told me he's probably not sticking around, and that he hasn't been too happy since Coach Bailey (who had him #1) left.

I also hear that Mondol (who has been a great teammate, I'm told) might depart to be closer to his family (recall that his mother passed away early in the fall).

Even if they stick around, I'm sure QB will be an area of emphasis on the recruiting trail.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X