Let's talk about the game: SDSU at Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the game: SDSU at Montana

Let's talk about the game itself. If you want to discuss your feelings about the Montana Athletic Department, there are a couple of threads for that.

Spoke to two players today. They're confident and excited for the challenge of playing the #1 seed at their place.

From what I've read at egriz and elsewhere, the game probably won't be a sellout (Thanksgiving break) so not quite the crazy atmosphere we've seen before in Missoula. Griz fans seem OK to me. They're respectful of SDSU and are talking about how this isn't the first round matchup they necessarily wanted.

What do you think? Predictions? Things to look for?
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Let's talk about the game: SDSU at Montana

We need to run the football. If we get down, I hope we don't throw out the game plan and start winging it. That frightens me. Also, TOB needs to make the proper checks at the line to change his protection if he sees blitzes coming. A former player mentioned to me this weekend that TOB is struggling to do that (see fumble against Minnesota that gave them the touchdown). That has hurt us in the later part of the year.

I think we match up well on defense. If they want to establish the run we will be more than ready for that. If things play out as I hope they will, this will be a defensive struggle and a battle of field position.

I think if we can stay in the game early and not have a lapse like SIU, our defense and special teams will put us in a position to win the game in the 4th quarter.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It appears the man to watch out for is Mariani, their wide receiver/punt returner. Brodie and Conrad are going to have to be glued to him.

He is also AVERAGING 18 yards per punt return. That is obscene. Just punt the ball to the sideline, if not out of bounds, and play defense.

I'm still trying to figure out why they play two QB's. It's not like the Jacks playing two QB's. Each one of theirs gets a fair share of passes each game and one doesn't appear to be any more mobile than the other just looking at rushing stats.

Their offense is well balanced and puts up a lot of points, but who in the Big Sky doesn't put up a lot of points?

Their 34 ppg vs. the Jacks top notch defense and their what appears to be average defense (once again in the high scoring BSC) against the Jacks average offense. Should be interesting. Their field goal kicker is barely over 50% for the year, but I'm not bragging up the Jacks FG kickers by any means. Could come down to who can score TD's in the red zone (lord help us) and kick 40+ yard field goals.

Montana fans think they can score 30+. If they do, they win. If either team scores 30 points, that team wins. I'm a little worried to pick a score right now, or maybe at all. I've been not so good in that dept.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        Montana fans think they can score 30+. If they do, they win.
        I promise to come back and eat a huge helping of crow if this happens, but I can't fathom Montana scoring 30+. That just won't happen, IMO.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Even though we will probably have our lowest attendance of the year due to Thanksgiving, this game is usually the loudest of the year. It's playoff time baby, what are we saving our voices for now! Look forward to a great game between the two!

Comment

I've seen the question asked about why two quarterbacks. The truth is that Griz fans don't seem to have a consensus on that. Both have played well at times and both have struggled at times, and for the most part it is hard to tell the difference between them. I think most fans would welcome a decision to start one or the other.

I think Selle has played better, but Roper has more potential. I think Bobby Hauck's heart wants Roper to win the position and his head wants Selle to win. I am surprised it has worked as well as it has this year, and I still think the offense would be more consistent and have better rythm if he just picked one and went with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportin' Life View Post
              I've seen the question asked about why two quarterbacks. The truth is that Griz fans don't seem to have a consensus on that. Both have played well at times and both have struggled at times, and for the most part it is hard to tell the difference between them. I think most fans would welcome a decision to start one or the other.

I think Selle has played better, but Roper has more potential. I think Bobby Hauck's heart wants Roper to win the position and his head wants Selle to win. I am surprised it has worked as well as it has this year, and I still think the offense would be more consistent and have better rythm if he just picked one and went with it.
              Hi Sportin', can you tell us more about each QB's style of play? I think I speak for all Jackrabbit fans when I say that I hope neither is a great runner. We've had trouble with running QBs.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Hi Sportin', can you tell us more about each QB's style of play? I think I speak for all Jackrabbit fans when I say that I hope neither is a great runner. We've had trouble with running QBs.
                I'll chime in. Thanks for a real football thread BTW. Both QB's have a similar style, neither is a "running" QB (we have a third that gets thrown in for that occassionally.) I think Roper has more talent, but he's new to the system so is prone to make more mistakes. Selle is efficient, and workmanlike. Our offense is probably better than its been for years, in terms of balance and productivity. Mariani makes any QB look 5x better than they are.

Our Defense is not great on paper until you look at points allowed, the reality is the defensive scheme drives a lot of us nuts, but rarely gets torched when it comes to points allowed.

We will probably start slow. Seems to be a problem all year. I would expect a close game at halftime, we might even be behind by a score or more at the half. The Offense tends to turn it on in the second half.

It's going to be a great game, he's to meeting a few of you at the tailgates.

Comment

Neither one walks with a cane, but they ain't Tommie Frazier neither. Roper is kind of a tall 6'4" skinny guy, and Selle is more evenly built. They each have had a couple of decent runs, but for the most part that isn't what they are looking to do. They are definitely looking more to pass first.

We have a third string qb with some great wheels. Maybe Hauck should throw him in.

Comment

I wouldn't call either a great runner, last years QB was pretty good. I would say that Selle has the best mobility. Roper is a tall kid and isn't quite the runner, but if they are left alone either can run with the ball. I think they are both pretty equal and the Griz assessment above is accurate. Both have played well and both have struggled this year. It can be an advantage if an injury to the QB happens though, you know the guy coming in can do it, he just has to perform.

I would sum up the Griz as follows: A well balanced team with some really good depth and 2 really good offensive weapons. Reynolds running the ball and Mariani catching or returning it. Mariani is fast and has the "IT" factor with the ball. Reynolds is a hard runner with good speed and has a knack for running the ball. Other than that, I would just call them a good team. You will see a lot of substitutions on both offense and defense and the guys get a lot of reps that way.

I hope to make it to the game this year, not 100% sure yet, but I am working hard to make it. Good luck Jacks, it should be a good game!

Comment

Im sure the jacks have a great Defense, but i highly doubt that its better than Montana State boobcats defense. We hung 33 on them just last weekend, and thats with them holding us out of the end zone on the 1 yard line, and a missed 37 yard FG. The scats would have played MSU Spartans much better in the season opener if 3 of their starting DB's wouldnt have missed the game due to injuries. The 4th DB played but was wearing a brace on his arm. The scats are our in state rival and i loathe them but totally respect their Defense. They kept it close for a half but we just wore them down. The Griz had the ball for 37 minutes and just plain wore them out. 1 of the 2nd half drives our Offense had the ball for 10 minutes. Our Offense is finally clicking and our Defense is keeping people out of the end zone, the past 3 of 4 games.

As far as the crowd, there will be 22,000 -23,000 people there, but most of the older alumni dont come and they are not the ones who make the noise. This game is always louder than regular season games, but not as loud as the 2nd and 3rd playoff games. The last time the jacks were in Missoula the parents of your punter were in awe of how loud our crowd was. And that was a 39-7 warm weather 80+ degree game and it really wasnt loud at all. This game will be alot louder and that will pose very big problems for your offense. Good luck and safe travels to all you jack fans.

Comment

Originally posted by A Griz 4ster View Post
                        I'll chime in. Thanks for a real football thread BTW. Both QB's have a similar style, neither is a "running" QB (we have a third that gets thrown in for that occassionally.) I think Roper has more talent, but he's new to the system so is prone to make more mistakes. Selle is efficient, and workmanlike. Our offense is probably better than its been for years, in terms of balance and productivity. Mariani makes any QB look 5x better than they are.

Our Defense is not great on paper until you look at points allowed, the reality is the defensive scheme drives a lot of us nuts, but rarely gets torched when it comes to points allowed.

We will probably start slow. Seems to be a problem all year. I would expect a close game at halftime, we might even be behind by a score or more at the half. The Offense tends to turn it on in the second half.

i defiantly agree when you say Selle is more efficient. I know a few of the offense players and the census i get from them is that he gets the ball to the right people and makes good reads. He has struggled a few times but when is rollin he throws a very good and accurate ball. This is just my guess, but after watching the griz/cat game, im betting Roper will only get one series or none at all. I think most griz fans want to see one main qb

Comment

Great info. I think we are similar teams. Our defense often gives up a fair amount of 3rd down conversions and some yards between the 30's but we don't let teams score and that is really what defense is about.

On offense we often struggle to get drives started. Once we get a first down or two we get a little smoother and start to move the ball. Minett can break one for 7 any time, our freshman QB can throw deep but we rarely ask him to, the O-line struggles at time. Our receiving core is solid and deep without a "star" receiver and we have a great TE we don't use enough. Special teams is okay but not spectacular, solid punter, good return guys, uncertain when it comes to FG's and kickoffs.

I think its going to be a battle, both teams start slow, a turnover or big play gets one of us momentum and then its 60 minutes of hard nosed "western style" football.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Great info. I think we are similar teams. Our defense often gives up a fair amount of 3rd down conversions and some yards between the 30's but we don't let teams score and that is really what defense is about.

On offense we often struggle to get drives started. Once we get a first down or two we get a little smoother and start to move the ball. Minett can break one for 7 any time, our freshman QB can throw deep but we rarely ask him to, the O-line struggles at time. Our receiving core is solid and deep without a "star" receiver and we have a great TE we don't use enough. Special teams is okay but not spectacular, solid punter, good return guys, uncertain when it comes to FG's and kickoffs.

I think its going to be a battle, both teams start slow, a turnover or big play gets one of us momentum and then its 60 minutes of hard nosed "western style" football.
                            How big are your Defensive front 7 guys? What defensive scheme are you usually looking at? 4-3?

Comment

This description sounds a heck of a lot like the Jacks. We have played two qbs throughout the year, but that seems to be settled now. Their defensive scheme sounds a lot like our bend but don't break style. I can't tell you how excited I am for this weekend. Win or lose, I expect a WHALE of a game!

Comment

Working...
                              X