California Tuition Hikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Tuition Hikes

My, how things have changed. There was a time when resident tuition for the U of California schools was free (I think that ended in the late 70s or early 80s). Today, the UC Board of Regents met on UCLA's campus to debate raising tuition...the news reporter said student protests were reminiscent of the late 60s. The proposal under consideration will push tuition and fees over $10,000 -- that's not room, board or books, just tuition and fees -- a 32% hike.

The Golden State is quite tarnished right now. The UC system has a $535MM budget deficit. There's talk of cutting classes and limiting freshman enrollment.

Sad news from a beautiful state.

Re: California Tuition Hikes

I saw some video of the protests online today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UU6...layer_embedded

Looks like your run of the mill protest, maybe a little more dialed up.

Man, California is a mess, with no end in sight.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The hikes were approved.

LOS ANGELES – The governing board of the University of California approved a $2,500 student fee increase Thursday after two days of tense campus protests across the state.
      The vote by the Board of Regents in a windowless University of California, Los Angeles, meeting room took place as the drone of protesters could be heard from a plaza outside. Scores of police in riot gear guarded the building.
      The 32 percent increase will push the cost of an undergraduate education at California's premier public schools to over $10,000 a year by next fall, about triple the cost of a decade ago. The fees, the equivalent of tuition, do not include the cost of housing, board and books.
      "Our hand has been forced," UC President Mark Yudof told reporters after the vote. "When you don't have any money, you don't have any money."

STORY LINK

Yudof was President of the U of Minnesota, 1997-2002.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        Sad news from a beautiful state.
        Good thing we live in a state best described as 'utilitarian'.

Just kidding. I love the scenery around here: If summer along the Missouri doesn't do it for you, you're wired the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I saw some video of the protests online today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33UU6...layer_embedded

Looks like your run of the mill protest, maybe a little more dialed up.

Man, California is a mess, with no end in sight.
          I agree, its too bad one of them is leading the U.S. House, I think the Federal Gov't is heading down the same path, if it hasn't already.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            I agree, its too bad one of them is leading the U.S. House, I think the Federal Gov't is heading down the same path, if it hasn't already.
            I prefer we leave politics off the board.

Comment

Working...
            X