Former Jackrabbit Gabe Koenigsfeld passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Jackrabbit Gabe Koenigsfeld passes away

I knew Gabe just as a freshman as he had my number after I did. Seemed like a good kid. Leaving a wife and yet unborn baby behind.

Tragic.

http://www.globegazette.com/articles...dia_id=7352887

Re: Former Jackrabbit Gabe Koenigsfeld passes away

I knew Gabe for several years. He was a great man and one of the kindest people I've ever met. It didn't matter if you were a 5th year senior, a brand new freshman, or just some random person off the street. He gave the same amount of respect and kindness to everyone. He will truly be missed.

Comment

He was married to Stephanie Bolden, former WBB player. I went to High School with Stephanie, I hadn't heard that she was expecting.. I can't imagine... I send my condolences.
      Go State! Go State!

Comment

ouch. Gabe was one of my favorites. Danger said it best, it didn't matter who you were or what you did Gabe was always one of the nicest guys. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Stephanie and the family.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Awful. My condolences to the family.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

This is sad. My condolences to his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              This is sad. My condolences to his family.
              I echo Nidaros thoughts. I didn't know him, but sounds like he was an awfully young man. How old would he be?

God speed with the family. It's tough to lose a loved one.

Comment

I just now recalled last season, where certain players designated people who have helped them with their student athlete careers at SDSU to be recognized at half time. Most of the time the recognition went to faculty members, but Eric Schroeder picked Gabe Koeningsfeld as one who helped him. It kind of speaks volumnes about his leadership on the football team as Eric had a great career at SDSU. Gabe sat in the same row as I have sat for years, that evening. Gabe was a big sturdy and tall fellow and seem to be very personal. This is sad truly sad. I had read about a construction accident at Dakota Dunes yesterday on the Argus site, but no names had been released at that time. Its sad that its a Jack football player.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  I echo Nidaros thoughts. I didn't know him, but sounds like he was an awfully young man. How old would he be?

God speed with the family. It's tough to lose a loved one.
                  He was a freshman same time as me in 2001. So I suppose, he was around 27, possibly 28.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It says in the story that he was 27.

Comment

I heard about it early this morning on WNAX, tragic. I am certain the family will receive a lot of support from friends, that includes SDSU. If anyone is aware of an effort to help the family please let us know.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is at the www.hauserfh.com website. It says where money can be sent.

Gabriel Koenigsfeld, 27, of Sioux Falls, S.D., died Tuesday, November 17, 2009, at the Mercy Medical Center in Sioux City, Iowa, as the result of a construction accident.
                        Monsignor Walter Brunkan of the St. Mary’s Catholic Church and Father James Koenigsfeld will concelebrate the Mass. Burial will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery, Roseville.
                        Gabriel Jon Koenigsfeld was born March 22, 1982, at Mason City, the Son of Richard and Dian (Boelsen) Koenigsfeld. He graduated from the RRMR High School in Rockford. Gabe then attended South Dakota State University in Brookings, S.D., where he played football and graduated with a degree in construction management in 2006. On June 23, 2007, he was united in marriage to Stephanie Bolden of Marshall, Minn. He enjoyed playing football for the Warriors and Jackrabbits where he served as team captain and was honored with numerous awards. He spent countless hours doing the things he enjoyed which included hunting, fishing, playing video games, and watching movies. Gabe always enjoyed spending time with his family and friends and was very special to his nephews and niece. He was looking forward to the birth of his first child due in April 2010. Gabe was often described as a “gentle giant” and had a personality and spirit that was larger than life. It was this spirit coupled with his tremendous work ethic that helped him earn the respect and adoration of everyone who had the pleasure of crossing paths with him. His gentle and loving spirit will be forever remembered by his teammates, friends, niece, nephews, brother, sister, parents, wife and someday his child. Gabe was so excited to begin the next stage of life as a father and his spirit will no doubt live on through his child. We will forever miss you Gabe, but we know that you will always be keeping a watchful eye on all of the lives that your spirit has touched.
                        Living family members included his wife, Stephanie Koenigsfeld of Sioux Falls, S.D.; parents, Rich and Dian Koenigsfeld of Marble Rock; brother, Nate Koenigsfeld of Portland, Ore.; sister, Amanda (Paul) Pearson of Rockford; nephews, Joshua and Matthew Pearson; niece, Emma Pearson; paternal grandmother, Marcella Koenigsfeld of Greene; parent-in-laws, Lionel and Cindy Bolden of Marshall, Minn.; sister-in-laws, Staci (Steve) Shea of St. Cloud, Minn. and Shannon (Travis) Nelson of Grand Forks, N.D.; and numerous aunts; uncles; cousins; and friends.
                        He was preceded in death by his paternal grandfather, Lawrence Koenigsfeld; and maternal grandparents, Peter and Ruth Boelson.
                        In lieu of flowers memorials, may be directed to the Gabe Koenigsfeld Memorial Fund to help support their first child, memorials may be dropped off at any Wells Fargo Bank.

Comment

Gabe's funeral is this Saturday, at 1:30 in Charles City, IA. I didn't see that in the obituary that was just posted.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

This is really sad. Excavation is hazardous work. The story doesn't give many particulars, but it brought back memories of a summer during my SDSU days that I spent working in trenches replacing water main pipe for my hometown. The city didn't provide any protective measures for cave-ins -- a clear violation of OSHA regs. One day there was a cave-in that thankfully only buried me up to my hips. A guy in a neighboring town wasn't so lucky and died in a cave-in a few summers later. Just about every one of these types of accidents is preventable. Again, there are very few details in the news story, but it brought back some very vivid memories.

Comment

2 weeks ago I was watching one guy construction crew in amazement at his power, work ethic, manners, focus. You could tell he comes to work to get stuff done. Last night I heard a guy from his company was killed and I actually prayed it was not him. Now I cry for some guy I don't even know. Dang!

Based on how hard he worked the day I watched him, I am not surprised he was the one "at the bottom" or however it happened. Just sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X