Lotzer deserves a look next spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotzer deserves a look next spring

O'Brien just doesn't look the part, with his happy feet in the pocket and his awkward sidearm throwing motion. I really think that Coach Stig needs to give Dustin Lotzer a shot at being the starter for next season. I saw this kid a couple times last season when he was a senior at Sisseton. He's 6'4 - 210 and throws one of the most beautiful deep balls I've ever seen. Plus he can run when the pocket breaks down. The guy is just a pure athlete. I know Stig is usually pretty loyal to his upperclassmen, but it'd be a shame if Lotzer spent five years in Brookings and get didn't his chance until his senior year because he's stuck behind O'Brien.

Re: Lotzer deserves a look next spring

If he makes the best impression to Coach Stig, he will get the shot. Coach is going to go with the best player at the position. Let him have his red shirt year this year and then we can watch what happens next fall and for the next couple of years. It's not a bad thing to have a couple good QBs.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

ummm Mike Whittier???
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I think I deserve a chance too..... come on Berry threw 5 Int's against an Iowa State team that had 2 wins all of last year......

Comment

Originally posted by hobojoe View Post
          O'Brien just doesn't look the part, with his happy feet in the pocket and his awkward sidearm throwing motion. I really think that Coach Stig needs to give Dustin Lotzer a shot at being the starter for next season.
          Oh my...
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

In the spring, everybody gets a shot.

Comment

O'Brien just doesn't look the part, with his happy feet in the pocket and his awkward sidearm throwing motion. I really think that Coach Stig needs to give Dustin Lotzer a shot at being the starter for next season. I saw this kid a couple times last season when he was a senior at Sisseton. He's 6'4 - 210 and throws one of the most beautiful deep balls I've ever seen. Plus he can run when the pocket breaks down. The guy is just a pure athlete. I know Stig is usually pretty loyal to his upperclassmen, but it'd be a shame if Lotzer spent five years in Brookings and get didn't his chance until his senior year because he's stuck behind O'Brien.
              I think you're being too hard on O'Brien. Minnesota is a Big Ten team. Granted, they're not a good one, but they had a lot of speed in the defensive backfield and their defense has been pretty stout all year. Ryan Berry, our fifth year senior, record-setting QB last year had trouble with Iowa State's speed (FIVE picks) and went on to have one of the best years ever by an SDSU QB. Minnesota is faster than Iowa state was. And O'Brien is a RS freshman not a fifth-year senior.

As Terry Vandrovec from the Argus pointed out in his live blog today, many of Thomas' passes today would have been completed in FCS ball where nobody has that kind of speed in the defensive backfield. And again, there were several drops.

Anyway, you'll get what you want because competition is what spring ball is about. And I think it's great that Lotzer is here to push O'Brien and Whittier and whoever else lines up at QB.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

O'Brien definitely didn't look good today, but there was a lot of problems with the offense today. To many drops in key situations, there was minimal separation gained by the receivers, and the snaps from the shot gun were just not very good the entire night.

I was really frustrated with O'Brien in the first half, but once I stepped back and thought about it, I reminded myself he is a Redshirt Freshman playing on the road against a Big Ten team, plus only making his 4th start of the year. I remembered why he was out there when he made that long pass to Fox that put us in position to tie the game before halftime. As the second half came around, TOB lead some nice drives, but something that has plagued us the entire second half of the season once again became relevant in this game, and that is scoring touchdowns in the red zone. This is something that has to be fixed soon or we will be out of the playoffs in the first round (or worse), so I hope the coaches and players work extra hard on this in practice.

Overall, I think we saw a freshman QB grow throughout the game and I am more than certain he will be better in the future because of having experienced this game. It hurts right now not to win this winnable game, but I think TOB starting this game will pay dividends in the near future.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

We lose to a Big Ten team by 3 pts and we are talking about a high school kid that should start for us next year! We played hard and just could not close the deal. That was a great effort by this team and QB and we just need to sit back and enjoy a showing that we can be proud of! Stig felt TOB gave us the best chance to win, and we almost pulled it off as a team!

Go effort Jacks and get that win next week and get us to the playoffs!

I was at a basketball tourney today in South Sioux City Nebraska and watching the game in the school with alot of people stopping by to see the score and staying to watch! i was proud to be a Jackrabbit and talked with many about the basketball games the night before and how we look forward to playing Nebraska. Lots of people said, do you think we will buy you out! I smiled and said, you may want to!

Comment

Can't believe this was even brought up. Yah, O'brien didn't play so good today. First half was terrible, but he is a freshman and he was rattled. Once he calmed down he made good throws and started getting the offense moving. We should be talking about how AWESOME our defense was today. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
                      We lose to a Big Ten team by 3 pts and we are talking about a high school kid that should start for us next year! We played hard and just could not close the deal. That was a great effort by this team and QB and we just need to sit back and enjoy a showing that we can be proud of! Stig felt TOB gave us the best chance to win, and we almost pulled it off as a team!

Lotzer isn't a high school kid. He's redshirting and running the scout team right now for the Jacks. He shattered numerous South Dakota HS records. I think too many people are down playing his abilities because he was a walk on. There were quite a few schools knocking on his door before the thumb injury last year. I am so happy that he stayed home and went to SDSU, but I've got a feeling that if the injury didn't happen he would've gotten a scholarship to go somewhere bigger. I had heard that Kansas State and Iowa were pretty serious at one point. And NDSU probably should've taken a shot on him with the mess they have at QB right now.

We all know there is a HUGE step from high school to college, especially DI, but Lotzer just had that "it" factor at Sisseton. The biggest thing that stuck out to me besides the huge arm, was that he never got rattled. His pocket presence was amazing. Teams would blitz, he'd have 2-3 guys in his face and he'd still be looking down field for the open man.

Comment

Lotzer isn't a high school kid. He's redshirting and running the scout team right now for the Jacks. He shattered numerous South Dakota HS records. I think too many people are down playing his abilities because he was a walk on. There were quite a few schools knocking on his door before the thumb injury last year. I am so happy that he stayed home and went to SDSU, but I've got a feeling that if the injury didn't happen he would've gotten a scholarship to go somewhere bigger. I had heard that Kansas State and Iowa were pretty serious at one point. And NDSU probably should've taken a shot on him with the mess they have at QB right now.

We all know there is a HUGE step from high school to college, especially DI, but Lotzer just had that "it" factor at Sisseton. The biggest thing that stuck out to me besides the huge arm, was that he never got rattled. His pocket presence was amazing. Teams would blitz, he'd have 2-3 guys in his face and he'd still be looking down field for the open man.
                        I don't think people are down playing his ability, but rather just sticking up for O'Brien. Lotzer will get his opportunity to prove his worth.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Give the kid a break he was starting as a freshman against a Big 10 team. Write it down...O'Brien will start next year and will shatter every single SDSU passing record that exists by the time he's done.

Comment

I'm not going to knock Lotzer at all because he is a good athlete.... but first of all I don't think the thumb injury was as big of deal as people put it out to be, you don't go from being a Big 10/Big 12 recruit to walking on at a FCS school because of a thumb injury that was medically cleared.... I think the bigger thing with him was he played in a QB system.... Sisseton's QB this year threw for 600 yards against the number 1 ranked team..... Nothing against Lotzer but I think that says it may of not all been him and more of the system he was playing in....

I personally think that Lotzer will be moved to WR after this year and take the role of Mike Steffen.... And I think he will be good at it.... Mike Steffen was a high school QB....

I think O'Brien will be fine.....

I also think a lot was said in how TOB responded in the second half..... a lot of guys wouldn't of made those tough throws after throwing 2 INT's but he did.....

Comment

What is it about the quarterback position that always makes The Other Guy more attractive to some folks than The Current Guy?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X