• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northwest Campus Development

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...&story_id=6610

Northwest Neighborhood' proposed for SDSU
    Posted: Thursday, Nov 12th, 2009
    BY: Jill Fier

The rendering above shows some of the elements (in yellow) consult ants are proposing for redevelopment of the northwest section of the South Dakota State University campus. The "Northwest Neighborhood" is bordered by 11th Street on the south and the U.S. Highway 14 bypass to the north, with Medary Avenue along the east edge. The existing Agricultural Heritage Museum (shown in blue) is located at the southeast corner of the site, just south of the proposed apartment complexes.
    South Dakota State University has posted a Northwest Quad Mixed-Used Development Feasibility Study on its Web site.

The consultant's report and related architectural concepts, dated September 2009, provide details for proposed developments to the northwest section of the Brookings campus.

Some elements consultants suggested for further exploration include an upper division /graduate apartment complex , retail space, hotel and conference center and an "active adult" community with private residences as well as assisted living facilities.

Other proposals are a relocated and expanded Agricultural Heritage Museum, redevelopment of the university's historic equine stable, and comprehensive landscaping including a campus gateway and Medary Avenue improvements . The project site is bordered by 11th Street on the south, Medary Avenue on the east, the U.S. Highway 14 bypass to the north and a line from the bypass to SDSU's Berg/Bailey apartment complex.

The university's Northwest Neighborhood Web page says, "As part of the Northwest Quadrant Mixed-Use Development Feasibility Study conducted for South Dakota State University in Brookings, Antunovich Associates has collaborated with Brailsford & Dunlavey to prepare an exciting new master plan for this sector of the campus.

"This master plan establishes a vision for creating an impressive new gateway to the campus from U.S. Highway 14 Bypass, replete with entrance gateways, entry parks, and phased development along Medary Avenue that creates an exciting new streetscape and sense of place for this portion of the Brookings campus." D.C. planning firm
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Northwest Campus Development

Not many happy developer's in Brookings about the development. If this was to go through the campus could easily lose some big endowment donors in the Brookings area. I don't blame them either, the university right now should not get in the private sector. Also have heard grumblings that many on the student's association don't want to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
      Not many happy developer's in Brookings about the development. If this was to go through the campus could easily lose some big endowment donors in the Brookings area. I don't blame them either, the university right now should not get in the private sector. Also have heard grumblings that many on the student's association don't want to support it.
      That could be, but IMO, as the University continues to grow they need to look at new options if the local development community isn't able to meet their needs/vision for expansion.

Comment

I think "Brookings developers" should look at this as a reality check, and think long and hard about how they're serving (or under-serving) their community, of which SDSU is the largest single entity.

It's not SDSU's institutional mission to line the pockets of the "Brookings developers," or even to try to make them happy. In fact, it's kind of the mission of the "Brookings developers" to make the SDSU administration--as the largest single employer and land owner in Brookings--happy. If "Brookings developers" aren't making SDSU happy, they're doing something very, very wrong.

So forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for "Brookings developers."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
          This is another one of those instances where something new that is entirely uncontroversial on major university campuses runs into the inertia of SDSU's longtime, small-time approach to things. Every major campus I have ever been on has all of those elements.

That doesn't mean developers should sit back and take it. They can get involved in the discussions. I'm guessing these conceptual plans are really intended to create dialogue. It's not like the money is in hand to begin construction. What you do on a campus like this is dream up the way you want things to be, create preliminary plans, and then talk to any and all stakeholders who might want to be involved.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I think "Brookings developers" should look at this as a reality check, and think long and hard about how they're serving (or under-serving) their community, of which SDSU is the largest single entity.

It's not SDSU's institutional mission to line the pockets of the "Brookings developers," or even to try to make them happy. In fact, it's kind of the mission of the "Brookings developers" to make the SDSU administration--as the largest single employer and land owner in Brookings--happy. If "Brookings developers" aren't making SDSU happy, they're doing something very, very wrong.

So forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for "Brookings developers."
            This.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

If any Brookings developer doesn't try to get involved with this, that is their choice, however, because an outside consultant was used to help SDSU figure out what it wants to do in that area should not be a deterant what so ever. This plan will allow many opportunities for local developers to make money.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Housing is one of the major issues facing the city of Brookings and SDSU. More development is good news and developing the right type of housing could be huge benefit to the city and the school. As both grow the problem will only get worse.

The developers are all aware of what kind of houses the city needs and make their own decisions as to what they want to build/develop. The higher the average house in a develpoment the more money the make. Capitalism at its finest. That is their choice. Unfortunately, the city is very short of middle-income housing ($100,000-175,000 homes). A lot of these homes are bought by families of college students and then their kids get 3-4 roomates which actually allows the deal to cash flow for the parents. Smart way to go but it sure makes it hard on the working family trying to find a house for their 2.2 kids.

I have long felt that there could be a strong partnership built between the city/developer and the school when it comes to addressing that issue. SDSU posseses a lot of land that could be developed for both commercial and residential property. Doing something with the land that would raise a lot of capital the school could use to buy other land, further expand some facilities, or build additional state of the art facilities.

For example, say SDSU owns a half-section of land just north of the bypass and that land contains facilities that are very run down. Could that land be bought/exchanged for similar land slightly farther from campus and new state-of-the-art facilities be built on there? The city/developer would get land to develop into commercial and residential property and the university would get facilities that wouldn't be able to afford to build.

Just the fact that Brookings Register has put this article out indicates that SDSU may be interested in looking into these type of arrangements. I think it is smart to explore all options. The partnerships between the SDSU and the city of Brookings have only gotten stronger over the last decade. I think both entities understand that they can thrive together if they work with each other.

These are exciting times in Brookings and at SDSU!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                X