Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You

To all the Veterans out there that I do not get say it to personally, thanks for giving me the ability to live as I chose, enjoy the freedoms that I do, and to be able to enjoy life as I do.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Thank You

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    To all the Veterans out there that I do not get say it to personally, thanks for giving me the ability to live as I chose, enjoy the freedoms that I do, and to be able to enjoy life as I do.
    QFT.

Thank you Veterans! Enjoy your day.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Couldn't say it any better myself.

Thanks Veterans!

Comment

Amen!

You have my deepest respect.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

My thanks, also...

Comment

With all the activations in the past 19 years, it is really hard for anyone to say they don't know a Veteran personally(I only have to go as far as my brother). I respect the Veterans for all they did for this country.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Yep. On Monday my 9 year old came home and was supposed to write a list of all the Vets in her family. As I started going down both sides of our extended families, I was surprised how many there were. I do not think of my family having a great military connection/tradition, and know many families that have stronger histories than my wife's family. If you can't think of one off-hand, ask a co-worker or neighbor and they will be sure to tell you the name of someone nearby. Go thank them.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

You are welcome, as I am vet. I probably would not be one if it were not for the draft that was enforce in 1965. I enlisted to avoid being drafted after studying my options.
                I spent 4 years enlisted in US Navy. Never once set foot on a ship but spent time overseas in Guam and Japan. Those four years of service have help me in several ways such as buying a home, education and federal retirement system. I think I have been treated very good. Now days its a pure choice to serve, but with four to five deployments to combat zones, it makes you wonder about the draft and perhaps it did serve a motivating purpose. Not to start a controversy, but just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  You are welcome, as I am vet. I probably would not be one if it were not for the draft that was enforce in 1965. I enlisted to avoid being drafted after studying my options.
                  I spent 4 years enlisted in US Navy. Never once set foot on a ship but spent time overseas in Guam and Japan. Those four years of service have help me in several ways such as buying a home, education and federal retirement system. I think I have been treated very good. Now days its a pure choice to serve, but with four to five deployments to combat zones, it makes you wonder about the draft and perhaps it did serve a motivating purpose. Not to start a controversy, but just a thought.
                  I think you have a point Nidaros. I also think the draft served as a motivating point for people to be involved politically. Sure made a lot of young people aware of the Vietnam War compared to young people now and their awareness of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Because I served, I can say that this was and has been my observation after returning home. Seems like people my age and younger are more apathetic regarding the situation in the Middle East and the military's role since it affects such a small percentage of the population and can't affect any of these young people unless they make that choice.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                    I think you have a point Nidaros. I also think the draft served as a motivating point for people to be involved politically. Sure made a lot of young people aware of the Vietnam War compared to young people now and their awareness of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Because I served, I can say that this was and has been my observation after returning home. Seems like people my age and younger are more apathetic regarding the situation in the Middle East and the military's role since it affects such a small percentage of the population and can't affect any of these young people unless they make that choice.
                    In a non-partisan opinion, I really am beginning to question a military presences in countries that seem to be centuries behind us in their thinking(.i.e the tribal system that we find in Afganistan, Irag, and Pakistan) Certainly, oil resources have been a major factor of consideration, but maybe our presence alone stirs radical elements and unifies them into a force to be reckoned with.). Some C-Span speakers and forums seem to bring this point up now and then and it makes you wonder. Our service people have orders and no voice in these matters, I truly do thank them for serving.

Comment

Nidaros, I think you have something there. Part of it is the presence of an outsider another part is understanding the culture. For some additional insight check out a book titled The Great Game by Peter Hopkins.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        Seems like people my age and younger are more apathetic regarding the situation in the Middle East and the military's role since it affects such a small percentage of the population and can't affect any of these young people unless they make that choice.
                        I totally agree with you on this one. It really amazes me how utterly clueless alot of people my age (mid 20's) are about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's such a dichotomy in that age group also. What I mean by that is I know several Marines/Soldiers/Airmen who have done multiple tours overseas and also many other people that age who don't even know where Afghanistan is.

Nidaros: First of all, thank you for your service. And secondly, I can't agree with you more about how the Afghanis look at us and our allies in their country. Imagine how we would act if we had a foreign power in our country telling us how we should live. I know for sure I would be one of the guys with a rifle going around trying to kill every one of those mothers that I could.

Sorry for thread drift from the original post.

Comment

Working...
                        X