Gopher fan looking for some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gopher fan looking for some info

admittedly I dont know anything about SDSU, much like you probably know very little about MN (schools that have never played, different states, different conferences doesnt breed familiarity).

Just trying to get a feel for what you guys are like. I tried to find some videos online--do you run a traditional power run game? Obviously I didnt see a spread team from the clips I saw, but a lot of inside trap run plays.

Who are the play makers on offense? Defense? Who will stand out to Gopher fans?

How is your kick off coverage?

Any weaknesses?

Re: Gopher fan looking for some info

The Jackrabbits have built a solid, consistent program that has weathered the transition from NCAA Division II to Division I FCS better than most of us fans could have imagined. The Jacks are in the midst of an 8th consecutive winning season - a streak which spans the final two seasons of DII and now 6 seasons of Division I play.

This year's team is built on an outstanding defense complemented by a blue collar offense led by the running of star back Kyle Minett: 972 yards on 193 carries with 12 TD. Minett is a top 5 back in the FCS this season, and put up a tough 115 yard performance last season when the Jacks faced Big 12 opponent Iowa State.

The offense has featured 313 rushing attempts versus 273 passing attempts so far this season. There is some question as to the starting QB for the rest of the season. Redshirt Freshman Thomas O'Brien is being considered along with opening game starter and senior Ryan Crawford. O'Brien started 3 games when Crawford was injured and played well. Crawford has not been as sharp since returning from an injured knee 2 weeks ago, and the coaching staff has acknowledged that O'Brien could return to the starting lineup this week.

The Jacks are coming off of a tough home loss to Southern Illinois, and it will be interesting to see how the team responds. One win in the final two games and the Jackrabbits would be in line for the first FCS playoff birth in school history.

It's probably not likely that the all important 8th win will come against the Gophers, but I will be very interested in watching this game on Saturday.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

One other tidbit - there actually is history between these two schools. The Gophers and the Jackrabbits played 5 times - all Minnesota wins in Minneapolis - the last coming in 1933 when the Gophers won 19-6.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
        It's probably not likely that the all important 8th win will come against the Gophers, but I will be very interested in watching this game on Saturday.
        Well its all about execution. Certainly their will be a talent disparity, but you dont assign W's/L's by looking at rosters, or from the "get off the bus team" eye-ball test.

Gophers have been terribly inconsistent executing this year. In fact, they have yet to put together a full game.

If they dont come out and execute it will be a hard time beating a quality disciplined team.

Comment

What are the defensive strengths and weaknesses? Blitz a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
            I would say we blitz more than in past years. The strength of our defense is our front seven, particularly our defensive ends. Danny Batten is a senior and a Buck Buchanan Award (Defensive POY) nominee. Dude has a motor that doesn't quit and has the ability to play at the next level. The other defensive end to keep an eye on is Red-shirt Freshman Jake Steffen. He is also a beast. Our linebacking corp is also fun to watch. Derek Domino is having an outstanding year for that group.

Weaknesses, I would argue, is lack of depth in the secondary. I would contend our strength has been our run defense, but after Saturday, that gives me pause. It may have been an anomaly though.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by stpaulgoph View Post
              Defensive strength: discipline--players generally do not miss their assignments--first, second, or third string.

Defensive weakness: mobile quarterbacks and Barry Sanders-style RBs.

SDSU plays ball-control football, and with a first year starting QB (regardless of whether it's Crawford or O'Brien), the passing game is pretty conservative.

The emphasis is to get a lead early and maintain it by chewing up time on drives, winning the field position battle, and wearing out the defensive front seven. It's not by any means a universally popular approach among Jackrabbit fans, but it has worked so far.

In short, if the Gophers let SDSU hang around, SDSU's gameplan could wear out the Gopher defense (despite the way things usually work in FCS/FBS contests where the FCS team wears out first), because that's what they're trained to do-that's how they practice. (plus, SDSU has a couple undrafted free agent type pro prospects on their O-Line)

It's not flashy. You won't be wowed by it.

Comment

Thanks Jack fans.

I too came looking for some info on your squad.

How many Jacks fans do you anticipate in Minneapolis Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by golden View Post
                  Thanks Jack fans.

I too came looking for some info on your squad.

How many Jacks fans do you anticipate in Minneapolis Saturday?
                  I know that our allotment of 3000 tickets sold quickly and there has been a fair amount of chatter on here about locating tickets elsewhere.

This is a total guess but I wouldn't be surprised to see 5000 people in Jackrabbit blue and gold in the stadium on Saturday.

Comment

Anbody, jackrabbit or gopher, have suggestions on parking?
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

you could park a ways away from the stadium near the hiawatha line http://www.metrotransit.org/rail/ I've always had good luck using this train but it will not get you too close
                      my friend lives like 3 blocks from the Franklin ave stop it is only another 1.9 miles... not that far IMO nice walk you can park up and down franklin or any other of the streets along this route

Google maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=14

hope that helps

Comment

also there is a ramp across university from the Williams sports arena (SE)

Google maps link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=16&iwloc=A

zoom in and you will see it.

Comment

All the ramps on East Bank are presold to season ticket holders, there are no drive up sales. You can look for on street parking in Dinkytown, or the East Bank River Flats is $10 to park. There are also shuttles from the State Fair Grounds in Saint Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbyTown View Post
                            All the ramps on East Bank are presold to season ticket holders, there are no drive up sales. You can look for on street parking in Dinkytown, or the East Bank River Flats is $10 to park. There are also shuttles from the State Fair Grounds in Saint Paul.
                            thanks! didn't know that!

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                              One other tidbit - there actually is history between these two schools. The Gophers and the Jackrabbits played 5 times - all Minnesota wins in Minneapolis - the last coming in 1933 when the Gophers won 19-6.
                              From www.gojacks.com:The most common belief is that the name "Jackrabbits" came from a story that appeared in a Minneapolis newspaper following a 1905 football game between the University of Minnesota and South Dakota State College, as the university was then known. A reporter for the newspaper, knowing of the preponderance of jackrabbits in the Brookings area, was believed to have written that the SDSC team was a quick as jackrabbits. Many people believe that the school adopted the Jackrabbits as its official nickname from the beginning.
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                              X