Coach Stig quote on TV blog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Stig quote on TV blog...

From TV's blog---"...More on the SDSU quarterback situation because it's not going away ... Stiegelmeier said that he spoke to senior Ryan Crawford after his postgame radio interview, but didn't disclose the details of that talk. "I love Ryan Crawford," he said. "I love what he's done for South Dakota State in so many ways." And later: "I may go to my grave hating some of those decisions, but I will always lean that way, to a senior. Because it isn't just about winning football games. Never is, never has been, never will be..."

5 pages of comments left after this blog entry. Personally, I think the quote has been taken a bit out of proportion. We all know Stig is loyal to seniors and we all know Stig's program is about more than just winning. There are worse flaws to have as a head coach...
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Coach Stig quote on TV blog...

It is Stig's goal and his achievement to make the program more about just football games, i.e., the academic success and building a solid group of young men.

However, when selecting a QB to start for the SDSU Jackrabbits to actually play the games on Saturdays, it better be just about winning football games. Stig wants to win. He's the head coach, of course he wants to win. Therefore, because Stig wants to win, he will select the QB with only one thing in mind: winning the football game. Anything else would be ludicrous. Any soft spot in the heart or loyalty to any one player should go out the window when making that choice. I am sure Stig will do just that, pick the guy based on winning the game.

I reserve the right to throw a temper tantrum if I disagree with his choice however.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I reserve the right to throw a temper tantrum if I disagree with his choice however.
      Indeed... It might even be considered an obligation.....

Comment

Stig has often been quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Each week we pick the 11 players on each side of the ball that give us the best chance to win and if we that means someone else starts, someone else starts."

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          Stig has often been quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Each week we pick the 11 players on each side of the ball that give us the best chance to win and if we that means someone else starts, someone else starts."
          In Stig we trust. The guy knows a great deal about the game and uses moral judgement in all of his decisions. Who should the QB be? I think we got four guys who have been working out of the same play book all season so it does not matter who Stig picks, but I am sure it will be the right person in his and the staff's judgement. Stig I believe is paid to be the coach and probably is the closest thing we have to a magican considering he is out matched by every MVC school in terms of budget. I know I am being redundant but this is how I feel about the remaining two games of the season.

Comment

I suggest everyone watch the press conference. TV asked about the QB situation and Stig answered. TV cherry picked a quote to make it sound like Stig doesn't care about winning games (I suspect to draw traffic to his blog - which worked). When, if fact, Stig starts out by stating they'll start TOB if the staff feel he gives them the best chance to win and they'll start Craw if he gives them the best chance. It's at about the 2:20 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
              I suggest everyone watch the press conference. TV asked about the QB situation and Stig answered. TV cherry picked a quote to make it sound like Stig doesn't care about winning games (I suspect to draw traffic to his blog - which worked). When, if fact, Stig starts out by stating they'll start TOB if the staff feel he gives them the best chance to win and they'll start Craw if he gives them the best chance. It's at about the 2:20 mark.
              Helpful info. Thanks.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I dunno, I had the thought that Stig's comment was perhaps indicative of his heart saying one thing and his head saying another . . .

The right decision is the one that gives the team the best chance to succeed. Anything else is not really fair to the other players, the coaches, the student body, or the fans of the team--and not really fair to Crawford or TOB, either.

I don't presume to know which way that decision should go.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I just watched Stig's interview for the first time, and I think the quote TV had in his blog was a bit out of context. From the multiple times I've heard Stig, I believe his coaching philosophy is this: Take care of the small things and the winning will take care of itself. In other words, don't worry about winning, worry about making your block on this play.

Things I've heard Stig say constantly are "live in the moment", "play in the moment", and "make the right decision." I've never heard him say "we'll do whatever it takes to win the game."

A couple things that stuck out to me from watching.

-Stig represents the word professionalism. He continually gave credit to SIU players and coaches for being the better team. We've all seen coaches who don't do that, and they are an embarrassment to their program.

-Stig talked about Ryan Crawford earning his respect and his strong feelings about RC as a person and football player. I would guess that it is easier to gain Stig's love than it is to earn his respect. If RC has earned Stig's respect, then there is something there of value, whether or not he is the starter this week.

-Talk about a rock solid personality. This interview was minutes after one of the most disappointing losses of Stig's coaching career, and he maintained his composure throughout. We've all seen coaches lose their cool in exactly these situations.

If all we want is a football coach winning games, there are probably thousands of applicants who would fit that bill. I like to think we have higher standards than that. With Stig leading the program, we will continue to have successful football teams that perform well in the classroom and life. And to me, what could be more important than that.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I just watched Stig's interview for the first time, and I think the quote TV had in his blog was a bit out of context. From the multiple times I've heard Stig, I believe his coaching philosophy is this: Take care of the small things and the winning will take care of itself. In other words, don't worry about winning, worry about making your block on this play.

Things I've heard Stig say constantly are "live in the moment", "play in the moment", and "make the right decision." I've never heard him say "we'll do whatever it takes to win the game."

A couple things that stuck out to me from watching.

-Stig represents the word professionalism. He continually gave credit to SIU players and coaches for being the better team. We've all seen coaches who don't do that, and they are an embarrassment to their program.

-Stig talked about Ryan Crawford earning his respect and his strong feelings about RC as a person and football player. I would guess that it is easier to gain Stig's love than it is to earn his respect. If RC has earned Stig's respect, then there is something there of value, whether or not he is the starter this week.

-Talk about a rock solid personality. This interview was minutes after one of the most disappointing losses of Stig's coaching career, and he maintained his composure throughout. We've all seen coaches lose their cool in exactly these situations.

If all we want is a football coach winning games, there are probably thousands of applicants who would fit that bill. I like to think we have higher standards than that. With Stig leading the program, we will continue to have successful football teams that perform well in the classroom and life. And to me, what could be more important than that.
                    I took time to watch Dale Lennon press confernce besides watching Stig. Its amazing how much these two guys think alike and take maybe the same moral stands about a football program. They play to win, but other things do matter such as those mentioned above. Besides showing themselves as a very good football program SIU probably has had very few off campus problems since Lennon arrived. Also Lennon was a grad assistant under Stig at Northern years ago.
                    Also Lennon seems to have picked some of the Carbondale dialect, which sounds very much like that used in nearby Kentucky.

Comment

The rantings and ravings on this and other threads about how the decisions are made are now meaningless as once again the coaching staff has made their decision. Roughly half were right and half were wrong.
                      Let the rantings and ravings begin on the decision that was made, which I predict will also end up as meaningless in short time with approximately half feeling vindicated again.

Thanks to all the Vets that allow me to be able to rant and rave on something that really is as not a big deal when looking at the whole picture of the world we live in.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X