FCS Polls 11/9/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS Polls 11/9/09

So....I see my worst fears are already starting to come to fruition. A week or two ago, I stated in several places that I think if both SDSU and UNI end up 8-3, UNI will get a playoff bid over SDSU, even though we beat UNI. I see in this weeks AGS poll, (and the Sports Network Poll) the loss to #3 (now #1) SIU dropped us below UNI. This is what I'm talking about when I say UNI will get more respect (a spot in the playoffs) because they have a richer FCS history. Thoughts?

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
    (First place votes in parenthesis), Points
    1. Southern Illinois (35) 2156
    2. Villanova (27) 2145
    3. Montana (27) 2095
    4. Richmond 1932
    5. William & Mary (1) 1891
    6. Elon 1799
    7. Appalachian St. 1694
    8. New Hampshire 1666
    9. South Carolina St. 1444
    10. McNeese St. 1425
    11. Northern Iowa 1335
    12. South Dakota St. 1238
    13. Holy Cross 928
    14. Stephen F. Austin 896
    15. Eastern Illinois 874
    16. Liberty 857
    17. Jacksonville St. 783
    18. Eastern Washington 749
    19. Weber St. 539
    20. Delaware 536
    21. Lafayette 521
    22. Florida A&M 360
    23. Montana St. 248
    24. Prairie View A&M 228
    25. Texas St. 214

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=65980

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...V-1AA-POLL.htm
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: FCS Polls 11/9/09

I know how you feel. I have been saying that to people all weekend long in Brookings and I kept getting the same reaction, "Oh, yeah. I hadn't really thought about it like that."

Hopefully TV is correct in the assumption that if we win 8 we will get in. I also read in his live chat that he talked to MVC Officials and they thought that if UNI wins out and we are both 8-3, both schools are going to the playoffs.

I guess we HAVE to beat Minnesota then, and keep things simple.

Comment

Don't worry. The committee will take the #2 MVFC team before a team with at best, #3 in the MVFC. Plus Jacks won the head to head.

UNI HAS to WIN out. Jacks must win vs WIU. If Jacks win vs MN, that's a bonus. We did lose our chance at a seed vs SIU tho.

Comment

SIU goes to #1, we fall to #12.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...V-1AA-POLL.htm

Oops, didn't see that you had links to both polls above.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea where we would most likely play if we finished 8-3 and were selected by the committee?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitFan11 View Post
            Does anyone have any idea where we would most likely play if we finished 8-3 and were selected by the committee?
            A lot of posters on the AGS site seem to be predicting we would travel to Montana in the first round.
            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I know how you feel. I have been saying that to people all weekend long in Brookings and I kept getting the same reaction, "Oh, yeah. I hadn't really thought about it like that."

Hopefully TV is correct in the assumption that if we win 8 we will get in. I also read in his live chat that he talked to MVC Officials and they thought that if UNI wins out and we are both 8-3, both schools are going to the playoffs.

I guess we HAVE to beat Minnesota then, and keep things simple.
              I think we've at least got to keep the game close against Minnesota this weekend. A blow out loss against a FBS team that a lot of people feel is a below average team would hurt us come selection time. I'm with rowdy on being officially worried about finishing 8-3 and watching UNI play in our place. Maybe we'll both make it which would be great for the MVFC!
              “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

You guys beat UNI, the committee will put a lot of emphasis on that should both an 8-3 UNI and an 8-3 SDSU be going up for a bid against each other.

But if you want to cement your status I would cheer for Delaware, Montana State, and EWU to lose. Those teams can still get to 8-3 if they win out. If they are gone your top competition will be against two loss teams from the Patriot, Big South, and MEAC, which are all very weak leagues.

Comment

If I understand the playoff selection process correctly, there is a chance we could still play at home. The first four teams are seeded and guaranteed home games if they bid the minimum bid, but after that it is purely based on bid (instead of record, tradition, attendance, etc.). So if our administration puts a nice bid together, there is a chance we could still host a first round playoff game.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    If I understand the playoff selection process correctly, there is a chance we could still play at home. The first four teams are seeded and guaranteed home games if they bid the minimum bid, but after that it is purely based on bid (instead of record, tradition, attendance, etc.). So if our administration puts a nice bid together, there is a chance we could still host a first round playoff game.

It is all about money and geography after the four seeds are determined.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

You are correct but if we draw Montana like most are speculating we won't be able to outbid them. No chance.

Comment

If that bid means fronting the most money, I am going to venture a guess that we won't have a home playoff game. Unless Sell can convince the administration that it would be good for the university (which it would be).

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          You are correct but if we draw Montana like most are speculating we won't be able to outbid them. No chance.
                          It all depends on who goes to Montana. If two SLC teams make the playoffs one could be Missoula bound since the SLC has a history of going out there. Since no team can take a bus there, no team is automatically sent there.

That said, you will probably be bidding against McNeese and UNI if you aren't sent to Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            But I don't think they "draw" the playoffs, so that might not happen. My guess is they seed the top four teams and look at the next four highest bids and give those eight teams home games. Then they fill in the 8 visitors based on record (sending the worst of the eight to the top seeds), location (keeping things somewhat regional), and anything else.

If we submit a bid that is in the top four, we wouldn't have much of a chance to be sent to Montana. If our bid isn't high enough, I would say there is a 50/50 chance we end up there depending on how our last two games go.

Based on attendance, there are maybe 5-6 teams ahead of us that will make the playoffs. Two of them might get a seed, so that would put us right on the cusp of being able to win a bid based on butts in the seats. If we supplement that NCAA ticket income with a little extra $$$, I think we could stand a chance to have a home game.
                            http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Intern...ATTENDANCE.pdf
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
                              A lot of posters on the AGS site seem to be predicting we would travel to Montana in the first round.
                              I'm assuming that, so that any other outcome seems like a relief.

Comment

Working...
                              X