Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About the SIU Game..and maybe you don't care but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the SIU Game..and maybe you don't care but...

It does not appear that any SIU fans have wondered this way, nor have I noticed any SDSU fans on SalukiTalk. First and foremost, I am not here to rub salt in any wounds. I have felt many salty wounds as a Saluki Fan over the years, so I come in peace. Just a few things...

1.) There is not one person.... coach, player, fan, or "expert" who saw what happened yesterday coming. I was on the road yesterday and just knew I was going to lose radio coverage during a tight game. I was as shocked as you!

2.) You are not overrated, we are not underated. It was what it was

3.) The MVFC is much better now that you are in it.

4.) You are still the #2 team in the MVFC, and you have only been there two years...not too shabby! And we still have a game to win or you could be co #1.

5.) In sum, I won't deny SIU has something special going on this year. Our D is surprising even the most die hard Saluki fans. Every year we wonder how we are going to fill the gap in the running game and then...BAM along comes Deji Karim (and Larry Warner,,,and Arkee Whitlock,,and Brandon Jacobs...and......) We lose our QB and BAM...ladies and gentlemen.."Paul Mcintosh!" We lost the coach that built the house in Jery Kill and ...Bam...Dale Lennon is remodeling the house. No denying the pieces keep falling into place for the Salukis to keep pushing until we get that championship for the first time in over 25 years. And we are loving our success...

However, love yours as well, support your team through thick and thin, I would have had the same emotions as you after that loss, ....but you are in your second year in the Valley, and you beat UNI and are sitting pretty at #2. Pick your heads up and be proud of where you are.

The game was what it was...and it is over. Still football to be played. Thanks for allowing me time on your board. Take pride in your program

Re: About the SIU Game..and maybe you don't care but...

Great words, thanks Saluki. Hopefully we can do some damage if we can get our way into the playoffs.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Saluki:

I may not have seen this game result coming, but I had an eerrie feeling about the game and here is why.

An excerpt from Dale Lennon's bio:

After graduating from UND in 1985, Lennon earned his master's degree while coaching at Northern State (S.D.) in 1986. Lennon also served as an assistant coach at Valley City State (1986) and Dickinson State (1987) before returning to UND as defensive line coach in 1988.

You may have never heard of Northern State, but during the time that Dale Lennon was in Aberdeen SD he worked for and with John Stiegelmeier, SDSU head coach. They are to this date very very good friends. Did this friendship have an affect on the outcome of yesterday's game? I dont think so and I hope not.

Also when Lennon was at U OF North Dakota, he and Bubba Schweigert were assigned a task to stop NDSU veer option. They developed a very good 3-4 defense that can be quite complicated and with the right people and the right skills, you have a killer defense that stops a number of offenses dead their tracks and forces turnovers. Its a very good system if you have the right people who can execute and read plays on defense. This defense worked very good at UND and won a D2 National Championship. If it were not for his impeccable character, his success at UND, SIU would have never hired him, but I think they made an excellent choice and one that can run a clean program and win. In that sense Stig and Dale are much alike.

Why Coach Stig has not followed Lennon in lock step on defense, I really dont know, but I suspect he has borrowed a bunch of things from that Lennon play book.

You guys are lucky to have Lennon and I would expect your defense to be very tough for years to come.

What happened to our defense is hard to say. We had as the Sioux Fall Argus Beat writer described a gift wrapped interception dropped on SIU first drive and after that it seem like our defensive wheels just fell off and were lost in the bushes never to be found again.

It's disappointing but I think we will survive and if we finish 8-3 with a win over WIU then we still got shot at the playoffs which would be an improvement over last year. Yes I agree we have done quite well in our second year of the confernce and we hope it will get better in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Salukis View Post
        It does not appear that any SIU fans have wondered this way, nor have I noticed any SDSU fans on SalukiTalk. First and foremost, I am not here to rub salt in any wounds. I have felt many salty wounds as a Saluki Fan over the years, so I come in peace. Just a few things...

1.) There is not one person.... coach, player, fan, or "expert" who saw what happened yesterday coming. I was on the road yesterday and just knew I was going to lose radio coverage during a tight game. I was as shocked as you!

2.) You are not overrated, we are not underated. It was what it was

3.) The MVFC is much better now that you are in it.

4.) You are still the #2 team in the MVFC, and you have only been there two years...not too shabby! And we still have a game to win or you could be co #1.

5.) In sum, I won't deny SIU has something special going on this year. Our D is surprising even the most die hard Saluki fans. Every year we wonder how we are going to fill the gap in the running game and then...BAM along comes Deji Karim (and Larry Warner,,,and Arkee Whitlock,,and Brandon Jacobs...and......) We lose our QB and BAM...ladies and gentlemen.."Paul Mcintosh!" We lost the coach that built the house in Jery Kill and ...Bam...Dale Lennon is remodeling the house. No denying the pieces keep falling into place for the Salukis to keep pushing until we get that championship for the first time in over 25 years. And we are loving our success...

However, love yours as well, support your team through thick and thin, I would have had the same emotions as you after that loss, ....but you are in your second year in the Valley, and you beat UNI and are sitting pretty at #2. Pick your heads up and be proud of where you are.

The game was what it was...and it is over. Still football to be played. Thanks for allowing me time on your board. Take pride in your program
        Well said. SIU is the best team I've seen at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. I think the Salukis could go deep into the playoffs.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Saluki:

I may not have seen this game result coming, but I had an eerrie feeling about the game and here is why.

An excerpt from Dale Lennon's bio:

After graduating from UND in 1985, Lennon earned his master's degree while coaching at Northern State (S.D.) in 1986. Lennon also served as an assistant coach at Valley City State (1986) and Dickinson State (1987) before returning to UND as defensive line coach in 1988.

You may have never heard of Northern State, but during the time that Dale Lennon was in Aberdeen SD he worked for and with John Stiegelmeier, SDSU head coach. They are to this date very very good friends. Did this friendship have an affect on the outcome of yesterday's game? I dont think so and I hope not.

Also when Lennon was at U OF North Dakota, he and Bubba Schweigert were assigned a task to stop NDSU veer option. They developed a very good 3-4 defense that can be quite complicated and with the right people and the right skills, you have a killer defense that stops a number of offenses dead their tracks and forces turnovers. Its a very good system if you have the right people who can execute and read plays on defense. This defense worked very good at UND and won a D2 National Championship. If it were not for his impeccable character, his success at UND, SIU would have never hired him, but I think they made an excellent choice and one that can run a clean program and win. In that sense Stig and Dale are much alike.

Why Coach Stig has not followed Lennon in lock step on defense, I really dont know, but I suspect he has borrowed a bunch of things from that Lennon play book.

You guys are lucky to have Lennon and I would expect your defense to be very tough for years to come.

What happened to our defense is hard to say. We had as the Sioux Fall Argus Beat writer described a gift wrapped interception dropped on SIU first drive and after that it seem like our defensive wheels just fell off and were lost in the bushes never to be found again.

It's disappointing but I think we will survive and if we finish 8-3 with a win over WIU then we still got shot at the playoffs which would be an improvement over last year. Yes I agree we have done quite well in our second year of the confernce and we hope it will get better in the future.
          We didn't know much about Dale Lennon when he was hired...we do now. And, as coaching goes, if he wins a National Championship at SIU in his second year, his phone will be ringing! He may not answer, but it will ring!

Comment

Originally posted by Salukis View Post
            We didn't know much about Dale Lennon when he was hired...we do now. And, as coaching goes, if he wins a National Championship at SIU in his second year, his phone will be ringing! He may not answer, but it will ring!
            Good luck to the Salukis. In talking with my brother-in-law at the game we agreed that if we played out best game we may not have beaten SIU but we didn't give ourselves a chance on Saturday. All credit to SIU for taking advantage of the mistakes and putting the game away.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Good luck to the Salukis. They were very, very impressive on Saturday. I would agree they were the most solid team to ever play at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
                Good luck to the Salukis. They were very, very impressive on Saturday. I would agree they were the most solid team to ever play at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.
                ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Sorry, I don't believe our defense was "lost in the bushes". Most of our really bad happenings came with the offense and special teams. The defense gave up 20 points to the #3 team in FCS, and I believe if the offensive had performed better, and not given up 17 points, it might have been a heck of a game. No doubt (with nothing to go on as to how good McIntosh might be), we got hurt by a running QB, and his long pass for the final TD was as well executed as they come. Past that, I agree that even if we had played really well, it might not have been well enough to overcome the Saluki performance Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    I believe if the offensive had performed better, and not given up 17 points
                    Defense allowed 260+ yards rushing. Three times the season average. SIU punted once in the first half.

You give SIU 260+ yards rushing, and let them convert 3rd downs to keep drives going, you give them the game.

Comment

Sorry, I don't believe our defense was "lost in the bushes". Most of our really bad happenings came with the offense and special teams. The defense gave up 20 points to the #3 team in FCS, and I believe if the offensive had performed better, and not given up 17 points, it might have been a heck of a game. No doubt (with nothing to go on as to how good McIntosh might be), we got hurt by a running QB, and his long pass for the final TD was as well executed as they come. Past that, I agree that even if we had played really well, it might not have been well enough to overcome the Saluki performance Saturday.

Compeletely agree. At some point this year the Defense wasn't going to hold the other teams offense to 7 or 14 points. And when that happened, the offense had to step up. They didn't on Saturday. I'm not saying the defense played as well as they normally have, considering the rushing yardage they gave up...but like I said...the offense needs to be better to beat the "now" #1 team in the nation.

If I was told that our defense would give up 20 points to SIU, I would've taken that and been confident that our offense could've managed 21 points, especially at CAS, 60 degrees and no wind.

Whew...that was the only comment that I have made on that god-forsaken game since it was played and it will be the last. "puke-face"

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Classy post Salukis!

I was very impressed with SIU. A very talented team that came in with a good game plan and executed it very well. I echo the others in saying that SIU is as good a team as I've seen in Brookings.

Best of luck to SIU the rest of the way. We'll get out mojo back and be ready for the playoffs!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I dont like to argue with the expert here and I say that with sincerety, but both sides of the ball were not playing up to their capabilties, but I kept hoping the defense would find a way to change the momementum by making 3 and out stops and thats what made me think that the defense was lost in the bushes but I cant not disagree with others who say our offense did not step up and, it would be fun to see the breakdown of the seven sacks. Our O line might have not been 100 percent either in holding the pocket. I been told each player is graded weekly on the prior game. It sure would be interesting to see how those grades came out. Bottom line, everyone did their share of egglaying during the game and made SIU look like they the good team they are. I dont think Dale Lennon was protecting Stig when he said they caught us on an off day. He no doubt was speaking the truth.

Comment

Working...
                          X