Best MVFC team in the classroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MVFC team in the classroom

Good to keep in mind that this is what it's all about: students earning degrees.

At halftime of the SIU game, Missouri Valley Football Conference Commissioner Patty Viverito presented a trophy to SDSU in recognition of the football team's top academic record over all MVFC teams for 2008.

Viverto shaking hands with Laurie Melum, SDSU Assistant Athletic Director -- Academics. (I'm uncertain of the identity of the SDSU person in the middle)

I have it on the best of authority that it wasn't close: SDSU was head and shoulders above the other teams in the conference.

Re: Best MVFC team in the classroom

Excellence in the classroom while being competitive on the field. These are true student athletes.

Just speaking for myself, I believe this achievment means more than the win/loss record.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I beleive the other one is Deb Debates (sp).

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
        I beleive the other one is Deb Debates (sp).
        After further review, it appears to be Deb DeBates from Consumer Science. I have no idea what her connection to the football team would be, but she might be involved with tutoring and study tables. I see Mylo Hellickson is still the faculty representative, but he usually does not miss many games and events so I dont think Deb was filling in for Mylo.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          After further review, it appears to be Deb DeBates from Consumer Science. I have no idea what her connection to the football team would be, but she might be involved with tutoring and study tables. I see Mylo Hellickson is still the faculty representative, but he usually does not miss many games and events so I dont think Deb was filling in for Mylo.
          She's got some sort of formal position as a liaison between the athletic & academic sides of things, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

BTW: Part of what makes SDSU what it is, is its student athletes. With more academic all-district representatives than any other Valley school, SDSU looks poised to get that conference title in back to back years.

Comment

Looks like the move up didn't have a negative impact on academics. Kudos to the administration and faculty for maintaining priorities.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              Looks like the move up didn't have a negative impact on academics. Kudos to the administration and faculty for maintaining priorities.
              If anything, D-1 requires greater institutional supervision of academics than D-2, so now SDSU is getting NCAA grant money to do stuff that they were already kind of doing on their own hook.

IIRC, Melum's job is grant funded. But I have no idea where I heard that. Probably on this board.

Comment

[QUOTE=zooropa;133550]She's got some sort of formal position as a liaison between the athletic & academic sides of things, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

It is Deb DeBates,Chair of the Intercollegiate Athleics Board and an Associate Professor of Human Development.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rabbit74;133585]
                  Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  She's got some sort of formal position as a liaison between the athletic & academic sides of things, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

It is Deb DeBates,Chair of the Intercollegiate Athleics Board and an Associate Professor of Human Development.
                  Thanks, I did not know about her other job.

Comment

Working...
                  X