Steps to the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps to the top

Ok, to start things off I am going to be a little all over the place with this. Forgive me, I am not much of a writer.

Yesterday the team was manhandled by a top 3 team at our level. 4 years ago that score would have been 66-7. Now, I am not claiming moral victory nor am I claiming major disappointment and an inability to focus on whats really important. In my mind there is only one thing that is really important, Being and competing with the top teams at our level year in and year out.

There are a few ways to get to the top.

You can jump in a rocket (NDSU) everything looks amazing but there is sometimes an explosion and everything just burns.

You can take the stairs three at a time but its likely you'll get tired along the way and have to stop for a bit and possibly go back down because you left something at the bottom (those sitting above row 25 know what I am talking about).

OR you can take the stairs one at a time and work your way methodically to the top ensuring that your kids can follow along and nothing gets forgotten. I personally believe this is the path that we have taken in our transition to FCS.

Currently we are a top 15 team. Last few years we were a top 25 team. Every year this team has gotten better. Last year the team was 1 win away from the playoffs, this year the team is likely in. There are some very good young players waiting to hit the field in Blue and Yellow. There are some very good young coaches leading them there. Most importantly there is a very solid, stay the course head coach fronting the entire operation.

We can bitch and moan all we want about who should be starting, or what play should be called. We are fans, thats what we do. But in the end it is important to remember what we are supporting and what the horizon looks like. Expectations are great but you can bet that our expectations and disappointments today are small compared to the expectations and disappointments felt by the young men that wear the uniforms and the coaches that lead them.

Anyway I could go on much longer but I need to get ready for church and then enjoy the 10th birthday of my son and daughter. I hope you all have a great day and think about how good things are right now and that while yesterday's events are very disappointing things look very good right now in Jackrabbitland.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Steps to the top

Outstanding post, EQGuy.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
      Forgive me, I am not much of a writer.
      No forgiveness on that post: it was excellent!

Comment

Good post. We're 7-2 with one of our losses to a team I'd say has the potential to win it all. We've got solid young talent on this team. And lest we forget, we've got two more regular season games and the playoffs ahead of us if we take care of business.

You can't expect to get there overnight. SIU has been at the top for a few years (after many years of mediocrity). They're a good model of what a top-notch FCS team looks like.

We'll get there.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The great news is: the self-created problems yesterday can be eliminated. Video of yesterday's game will be a great teaching tool.

I hope the coaches and team are able to mentally spring back from this one right away because we have another huge task ahead this weekend.

Comment

Very nice thoughts EQguy. I think that at the beginning of the season if we all were asked if we'd take 7-2 at this point of the season the majority of us would have said "yes". You never want to lose like we did yesterday though. As long as we improve each week from here on out, we will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              The great news is: the self-created problems yesterday can be eliminated. Video of yesterday's game will be a great teaching tool.

I hope the coaches and team are able to mentally spring back from this one right away because we have another huge task ahead this weekend.
              This is precisely my sentiments. It seems when wheels fall off they just dont magically get put back on unless Superman and the Lone Ranger shows up. I think they both got lost in Lake Benton Minnesota. They were headed to Brookings however.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                (those sitting above row 25 know what I am talking about)
                Yeah. That's about where you start wondering, "Is there really a row 33?? Am I going to make it?"

Oh, and another 'feel good', albeit not exactly football related.

Watch the BCS bowl this year--------in case you're not sure how good the Pride really are.

Shoot. SDSU may have a crappy stadium, and we may have all just paid our hard earned cash to see the Jacks gack it big time, and SDSU is 'just' an FCS school, but that band is SEC/Big Ten/Pac Ten good.

And educational! Who knew that Queen's Live Aid performance was voted the best live show ever?

Comment

If I am reading it correctly, Sagarin has ranked us 7th this AM after the S. Ill. game.

1. Villanova
                  2. Richmond
                  3. Wm & Mary (daily double?)
                  4. S. Ill.
                  5. Montana
                  6. N. Ia.
                  7. Jacks

Comment

I really like our forum compared to others I've read.Nothing detracts more from enjoying different opinions and ideas from other people than a personality conflict between one or more posters.This is where our board is heads & shoulders above the rest.Every poster is allowed the freedom to express thier opinion without the fear of someone ,who might have a higher intellect , using language to humiliate or demean (sp) that person.Everyone is given mutual respect.If there is a diff in opinion, it's debated & hashed out without personal attacks on each other.I think ultimately , it's a class act because of the great people SDSU has....Amen

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      I really like our forum compared to others I've read.Nothing detracts more from enjoying different opinions and ideas from other people than a personality conflict between one or more posters.This is where our board is heads & shoulders above the rest.Every poster is allowed the freedom to express thier opinion without the fear of someone ,who might have a higher intellect , using language to humiliate or demean (sp) that person.Everyone is given mutual respect.If there is a diff in opinion, it's debated & hashed out without personal attacks on each other.I think ultimately , it's a class act because of the great people SDSU has....Amen
                      Lately its been peaceful, but I have been known to have cantankerous repetition especially when the men's bb was at its low point, but otherwise I agree. The moderators have done a great job keeping everyone in check.

I think it a great place to vent. Yesteday at the game when McIntoish made is final keeper run, I yelled " Let the guy run, we dont care". Then I apologized to those around me, and said I was getting very negative. My close friend who sits in front of me said. Yeah you and about 10,000 other people here. Yesterday has been a very low point in the football season, but many peopld do care and thanks to the board, we do have a chance to vent our feelings.

Nothing like a big plate of lutefisk, boiled potatos and melted butter to pick your spirits up on a day after a bad day like yesterday. Its a great day to be a Jackrabbit yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Comment

Lefse!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Nothing like a big plate of lutefisk, boiled potatos and melted butter to pick your spirits up

I'm laughing because lutefisk would be the cause of a bad day for most people, not the cure.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

I'm laughing because lutefisk would be the cause of a bad day for most people, not the cure.
                            I would love to debate that topic, but it would be thread drift.

Comment

Working...
                            X