GDT: SDSU v SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU v SIU

It's game day. Southern Illinois University Carbondale comes to Coughlin Alumni Stadium for a clash of the 2009 Missouri Valley Football titans. Lots of statistical similarities between the Salukis and the Jackrabbits -- and some dissimilarities, too. The winner will at least share the conference champion title.

Both teams appear to be headed for the FCS playoffs -- for SIU, the 1983 National Champs and a top four team in 2007, it'll be the seventh playoff appearance in a row. For the Jackrabbits, it'll be the first post-season appearance.

The Salukis are playing their last season in venerable McAndrew Stadium, opened in 1938. Next year, the as-yet-unnamed New Stadium opens with a projected capacity of 15,000.

Artists rendition of the new stadium:

Artist's interior view of the new stadium:

Quick facts about Southern Illinois University Carbondale
    ...flagship of the Southern Illinois University system which includes Carbondale’s sister institution, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
    ...founded 1869
    ...student population, approx. 21,000
    ...is a "Doctoral Research Extensive" institution, granting a full range of bachelor’s degrees on through doctoral degrees including professional degrees in medicine and law
    ...a few famous grads: Jim Belushi, actor/comedian; Richard Roundtree, actor (Shaft); baseball star Steve Finley; basketball great Walt "Clyde" Frazier; controversial US Senator for Illinois (at least the way he got the job) Roland Burris
    ...award winning school newspaper, the Daily Egyptian;
    ...Head Coach Dale Lennon came to SIUC from U North Dakota

Re: GDT: SDSU v SIU

Already awake. Couldn't sleep well. Too excited.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I couldn't sleep either...

It's a beautiful morning here in Brookings - clear sky, no wind.

Last night I was at a banquet at the Staurolite Inn - the Salukis were having a team meeting in the room next door. Sounded like a bunch of big dogs yapping...

To pass the time, you might want to take a look at the new construction photos posted under the "Campus Construction" and New Dorm Construction" threads of the SDSU News and Comments forum.. This campus is changing....

GO JACKS...

Comment

I've been up and dressed for a while. Only a short two hour drive, so don't know why I am ready so early. Maybe cause I couldn't sleep, too excited! Should be a great day. I really have a good feeling about the game today, much better than I felt last week.

Comment

I thought the same thing when I got up this morning...game #1 day. Unfortuately game #2 tomorrow is not allowing me to be at game #1.

I am soooo jelous of all of you at the game. My tickets are in good hands and I'll be getting frequent text messages for updates in DT Chicago today since they did not find a way to put it on television here either.

Go Jacks! Shut down Karim and McIntosh and win this game so this is not the last home game of the year!

Comment

Gameday media coverage to whet your whistle:

http://thesouthern.com/sports/colleg...cc4c002e0.html

http://www.thesouthern.com/article_b...cc4c002e0.html

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...16/1002/sports
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Good luck to the Jacks today. I have seen both teams play this year. This should be a tighter game than UNI but the Jacks have what it takes. Slow that running back of their's down and run the beautiful offense of yours to perfection and this is win.
              www.bisonsports.net

www.gobison.com

Comment

Here's a gameday article from ESPN (per TerryV's twitter)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/co...ott&id=4629634

Comment

Sitting at the Hampton checking everything. Can't wait to get out to CAS!!! Going to be a beautiful day for a win!
                  Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                  -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    I thought the same thing when I got up this morning...game #1 day. Unfortuately game #2 tomorrow is not allowing me to be at game #1.

I am soooo jelous of all of you at the game. My tickets are in good hands and I'll be getting frequent text messages for updates in DT Chicago today since they did not find a way to put it on television here either.

Go Jacks! Shut down Karim and McIntosh and win this game so this is not the last home game of the year!
                    If you have your computer with you, watch via GoJacks.com. Check with sports bar, and they may let you put the game up on a screen from your computer. Let'em know that you're willing to do a broadcast of the MoValley Championship Game, and they'll probably be eager to have you do so.

Comment

This is where Ryan Crawford will be a big difference,senior, smart, can read defenses.Play the game on thier side of the field & we'll force thier freshman quarterback into situations where he'll make mistakes we can capitalize on.I think we win this one & become MVFC champions .GBGBGJ
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        This is where Ryan Crawford will be a big difference,senior, smart, can read defenses.We'll force thier freshman quarterback into situations where he'll make mistakes we can capitalize on.I think we win this one & become MVFC champions .GBGBGJ
                        I think you're right. SIU has lots of weird blitzes. A senior like Craw who excels at taking what the defense gives is the key.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

http://rapidcityjournal.com/sports/l...cc4c002e0.html

hope this is the right link..... Rapid City ESPN radio will broadcast game.... don't know if its been posted already....

Comment

3-0 SIU early . . .
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We're in deep trouble our line is getting manhandled early in this one. Our defense better have the game of its life if these sacks continue.

Comment

Working...
                              X