Argus Article - Improving Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Article - Improving Defense

An article in today's Argus that kind of got buried in all the high school playoff news. I thought it was worth sharing.

Improving defense is key to SDSU's success
    Terry Vandrovec • November 3, 2009

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - South Dakota State has essentially the same defense that it did last year, returning its top eight tacklers, and yet the results couldn't be more different

The No. 9-ranked Jackrabbits again boosted most of their stellar stopping stats on Saturday with a 17-3 win at Youngstown State - the third time this season that they haven't allowed a touchdown.

Why the dramatic turnaround?

Adding two defensive assistants with major-college ties - line coach Clint Brown and linebackers coach Shawn Mennenga - has helped, as has another year of on-field experience. But maybe more than that, this group has a certain' je ne sais qua' - a phrase the no-nonsense players would never use.

"It comes down to the players' desire to make it a special season," said co-coordinator Jay Bubak, the Jacks' longest-tenured defensive assistant. "I don't know if you'd say it's once in a lifetime, but to get that type of chemistry with ability and then add in some good coaching - they just believe in what's going on."

The change is bordering on unbelievable.

(read more)

Re: Argus Article - Improving Defense

Good article.

Only gripe: It's "Je ne sais quoi" (French for "I don't know what")

Comment

IMO Bubak is a special coach...he has gotten players to play to their potential...he gets the most out of each and every athlete on field...he has gotten the players to "believe" in the system, coaches, but more importantly one another....and the proof is in the "puddin"
      Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
      Muhammad Ali

Comment

Danger:

Actually, using "Je ne sais quoi" lends the piece a bit of erudition seriously lacking in sports writing. Plus, it rolls off the tongue so nicely! Kudos to TV.

Comment

I don't think he was slamming TV for using it. He was just correcting the spelling (qua instead of quoi).
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I love TV and wasn't deriding him for it at all.

Nice use of the word "erudition" by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
              I love TV and wasn't deriding him for it at all.

Nice use of the word "erudition" by the way.

I got your back, Danger!

Comment

Nice Props from the College Sporting News:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...tch-run?blog=5

9) South Dakota State (7-1): I need to spend a little time talking about these guys as they were not even on my radar the last time I presented my Top Ten.

So here is a shout out to all you Jackrabbit fans out there; I screwed up early by not recognizing how good a team you had, but you are on my radar in a big way now! Best of luck to you guys I will continue to keep an eye on you.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  Nice Props from the College Sporting News:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...tch-run?blog=5

9) South Dakota State (7-1): I need to spend a little time talking about these guys as they were not even on my radar the last time I presented my Top Ten.

So here is a shout out to all you Jackrabbit fans out there; I screwed up early by not recognizing how good a team you had, but you are on my radar in a big way now! Best of luck to you guys I will continue to keep an eye on you.
                  Hey rabid way to spread the word on the Jacks man! Great email to the old Dowd fellow!
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    Hey rabid way to spread the word on the Jacks man! Great email to the old Dowd fellow!
                    Thanks! I've lined Dowd up to catch the Jacks/Salukis game on the delay basis. He's going to the Richmond/Villanova game which is the same situation for the CAA South as SDSU/SIU is for the MVFC.

He sent a nice email back.

Comment

Working...
                    X