SIU for the MVFC Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIU for the MVFC Title

We need a pre-game thread so we don't end up with 100 threads on different aspects of the week. I expect a lot of talk about such a big game against a tough opponent.

Check out Saluki Talk:

http://www.salukitalk.net/st/index.php

Football forum link on the left.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: SIU for the MVFC Title

I have you guys as #1 in my ChampionshipSubdivision.com poll. I have SIU as #3. You may not think you are worthy of #1 just yet, but in my eyes, you will be #1 at the end of the season.

Comment

The key to the game could just be the old saying "stop the run and run the ball".

They have the #1 yardage back in the MVFC in Karim and now in their backup QB, McIntosh, a legitimate threat to run the ball for good yardage every time.

The Jacks could use some nice, long, time consuming drives that END IN TOUCHDOWNS! Mixing in a little pass here, pass there with a whole lotta #30. Winning the battle at the line like they have done the last few weeks makes this a lot easier.

Comment

Somebody give guinzone some rep points, for the love of God! I've never figured out how that works.
        Last edited by JackFan96; 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
          Somebody give guinzone some rep points, for the love of God! I've never figured out how that works.

-s
          Click on the scale in the right hand corner of the post. Add or subtract by clicking approve or disapprove and leave a little note.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Some facts and lines vacuumed off SalukiTalk, their fan forum. http://bit.ly/2de5IC

1. This will be SIU's second game on grass this year, which is referred to as "sod" on the SIU forum site. Speculation that the grass will be deep. (Editorial comment: Love how these turf schools get psyched out over a few million blades of grass. It's like they expect to be playing on a different planet. Jacks should show up for pre-game in space suits. Or better yet, the administration should arrange to have cows grazing in the end zones. Would REALLY freak 'em out)

2. I've never heard this before, maybe you guys have: "Clever" comments about weather in the Dakotas in November. Creative bunch over there.

3. They are talking not only winning, but winning convincingly enough to get a playoff homegame against Montana in the SECOND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS.

4. Much sentiment that "newbies" should not be winning MVFC.

5. The "we have better athletes" malarkey is accepted as proven fact over there. (Pet peeve alert: What a steaming pile of stinking Bison Chip that is).

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              Click on the scale in the right hand corner of the post. Add or subtract by clicking approve or disapprove and leave a little note.

Go ahead, practice on me.

Comment

I agree with sjjacksfan99. But I think that if we do that people will say that we are running a vanilla offense again. Lets stick with what works offensively and stuff it to them on defense.

Comment

I love how in (what?) about the space of ten years playing on grass become something for 'high schoolers' -- or the pros.

Stupid field turf looks how everyone imagines grass is supposed to look (and how it -does- look at places like the Rose Bowl).

----

BTW: Saluki fans in for a surprise Saturday, if they think they'll waltz away with anything. With the bulk of their conference schedules behind them, the two schools are far too closely matched to do anything but give the home team an edge for being, well, the home team.

Comment

I read the Saluki talk forum, too and didn't get the idea that they're overconfident at all. Some general moaning and confidence about their team, but nothing that obnoxious.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      I read the Saluki talk forum, too and didn't get the idea that they're overconfident at all. Some general moaning and confidence about their team, but nothing that obnoxious.
                      Got the same feeling. They seemed very concerned with SDSU.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Couple of notes about things that might help attendance this weekend:

It's Military Appreciation Day and FFA is in town. Let's hope the stands are full of current and former members of the military and future farmers in blue jackets.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

So is this the week we see the throw out of the "flash"? If the Jacks stall again in the red zone early, I would not be suprised to see it between the 10 & 20 yard lines on some type of sweep.

Special teams is going to be very important. They appear to have probably the best special teams in the conference. Their punter has the biggest average and their field goal kicker is 13-16 on field goals. Karim appears to be their kick returner and he is obviously very good. Winning the special teams battle could just mean a win for the game. A push wouldn't be a victory, but it won't hurt. Getting beat on the special teams and .....?

Comment

Good article in The Sourthern...

http://www.thesouthern.com/sports/ar...cc4c03286.html

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Couple of notes about things that might help attendance this weekend:

It's Military Appreciation Day and FFA is in town. Let's hope the stands are full of current and former members of the military and future farmers in blue jackets.
                              Plus $5 GA tickets from Cubbys, Burger King, etc.

---

Fans got to chill out about attendance, etc. Remember the old, "Act like you've been there before" line, and have confidence in the fans and the team: I think we can safely say that SDSU ain't gonna meltdown on the field, and 14,000+ fans easily (maybe close to 16,000) will turn out for their Jackrabbits.

SDSU is a premier program that is getting better. We need to relax and enjoy the ride.

Save the angst for the inevitable hose-job that we're going to get from the playoff committee.

Comment

Working...
                              X